So much to do and so little time

FoxMulder

Apr 16, 2016
Northampton
Sorry for this rant but I feel I need to offload as I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my mother lately.

Just when I thought we were finally getting home care for my mother, it has been delayed further to the state of her flat. The Home carer who visited 2 weeks ago reported there was flies in her flat, mouse droppings in the kitchen cupboards and out of date food lying around in the kitchen which has not been put back in the fridge. The home visit was suspended due to the risk it may caused to the health and safety to the carer. The manager of the Home care company said she has suspended the home visits until the flat have been completely cleared out. However she did not seem concerned about the fact me and my partner had to clean out her kitchen 2 weeks prior the suspended home visits. So the past few weeks we have been making endless phone calls, emails and meeting with the Older Persons Teams. The person came to visit and assessed my mother and the state of her flat. She has been very good in providing information for cleaners, funding. Really pushing for help for her.

This week we hired 2 professional cleaners to come and clean my mother's flat but my mother needs to be out of the flat while they clean it. We were recommended a respite centre where my mother could stay for 1 or 2 days and can come back when it is ready. Yesterday we took my mother to visit the respite Centre but she did not seem impressed about it. She said she will think about it. Today I asked her what she thought of it but she said she did not want to go even if it is for 1 day. Again I phoned her up and asked if she would like to stay in a local hotel in the town centre while the flat is being cleaned out but she said she doesn't want to leave her flat. So this make this tricky as there is no one we know will take her out and stay in their home. At our house it will be difficult as the children will off school on holiday and I will be at work for most part of the day. My partner looks after them while I am at work. So we can't take my mum out or clean the flat ourselves. Our hands are tied. I don't think my mother appreciates this I have a child with Autism and my mother cannot cope with his behaviour. Everytime she come and visits us she doesn't stay long and wants to go home. The person from the Social Services have agreed to let a carer take my mother out for half a day while her flat is being clean and again on another day. Once the flat is cleaned my mother will have an carer and an cleaner each day a week but we have to fill in forms to get funding for her care. Me and my partner feel so overwhelmed by the endless supply of information. We are suffering from information overload!!!

There is so much to do in a short space of time. I feel frustrated at my mum unwillingness to be flexible and her apparent stubbornness. Trying to sort out my mother problems with her flat, medication and money is slowing overtaking our lives. Me and my partner rarely spend a day together without worrying about her. My children are important and I am striving to strike a balance between them. I feel I am becoming invisible. its frustrating meeting with all the professionals as they dont provide Sign Language Interpreters and my partner have to sign for me and ring up the people concerned for me as they don't always provide email or text numbers. The local branch of Age Uk in my area is useless. I dread every visit to my mother as I don't know what problem or mood she will be in. sorry for moaning but I hope you all will be bear with me.

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
FoxMulder, you certainly do have a lot on your plate. I'm not sure I have much practical advice.

But, I think you must ask yourself if your mother is really safe and capable of caring for herself in her flat. Present circumstances would indicate clearly not. You may be in the habit of discussing and making decisions with her, but it may be that you will now have to step in and take control of the situation. A crisis such as the one she is in is often how this arises. She's not being stubborn or inflexible on purpose. The dementia is damaged her brain and she cannot be expected to reason the way she once did. That's now on you. It is hard to stop asking her and accepting her opinion. But this is the role of the caregiver when dealing with dementia.

In your shoes, I would accept the Respite and simply take her there. It's common for people to protest, and not agree, but is that worse than contaminated food, filth and living with vermin?

You also need a break, and I think that even if your mother does not enjoy or even accept care, this is a situation which cannot go on much longer and a good place of care is the right way to be moving.

I am in the US and don't know much about the UK, but if no one is available to provide ASL translation, could you hire someone on your own for a few hours to interpret at meetings or on calls?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Foxmulder
Unfortunately inflexibility and stubborness is par for the course with dementia! Your mum is unable to understand what all the fuss is about. She is unaware of the dirt, mould, flies and vermin. Even if you showed it to her she would not understand the significance and would just say that its not a problem. To her her flat is an oasis of comfort and security and she doesnt want to leave it, not even for a while.

In the early stages things can happen so quickly as you suddenly discover that there are big problems. I remember feeling totally overwhelmed and pulling my hair out during this stage. It is difficult to get your head round everything and it is particularly difficult to make the transition from being a daughter and asking her what she would like, to being a carer and telling her (nicely) what she needs.

Im glad there is going to be a carer to take her out while the flat is being cleaned, but if respite would be needed in future it would probably be best to book it and tell your mum whatever would get her to go.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi FoxMulder
what a pickle for you to sort out - you're doing well
I agree with canary and CeliathePoet, there comes a time when the rational conversation we used to have with a parent, about options and repercussions, just isn't viable any more - your mum is sadly now oblivious to anyone else's circumstances; the empathetic parts of her brain just aren't working any longer - it's then about relieving anxiety and distress; working out what's best overall and organising some way to make it happen - it's such a change in mindset, but once realised I found I was calmer as I could move forward with only good intentions to support dad
so I too just worked out what dad needed and took him wherever, either not telling him what was happening, so we were just popping out for a coffee and happened to .....; or gave him an excuse he could accept (you'll know what works best for your mum); or it just happened and I took the flack/walked away
so if the respite is still available, just take your mum and make as though it's the best thing since sliced bread; you'll know she's safe even if she grumbles and it won't last forever
I'm disappointed for you that there's little support for you at meetings (and shocked at the cost of paying yourself - I did a quick search) - is there any help available from any Associations for the Deaf?
I hope your week works out better than you fear
and rant away anytime - get it all off your chest - that's what the forum is for :)

best wishes

Last edited:

FoxMulder

Apr 16, 2016
Northampton
To Celia the Poet, Canary and Shedrech,

Thank you so much for your kind replies. I will take all your advice on board. Next week a Carer will take my mother out for the whole day while her flat is being but I don't know whether she will be willing to leave the flat or not. My mother's mental state is not helped by her drinking too much wine. The Memory Nurse has told my mother that she must stop drinking as it won't help her medication work. The nurse have prescribed patches but she hardly wears them. The nurse has decided to discharged my mother as there is no point if she continues to drink with the her medication. We thought she was drinking one bottle a week but she admitted to the Nurse she drank 3 bottles a week. She has lied about taking the patches but I found a full box of patches in her flat. Our relationship have slowly changed to which I now finding myself becoming her parent.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Morning Foxmulder
I know just what you mean about the relationship 'swap over' - yet even as a mature adult I still want my dad - so it goes
I wonder, could you change her wine to non alcoholic - even steam off some old labels to cover up the actual ones, if she would notice - and maybe keep her supply topped up so she's not needing to buy any more - at least that way she's thinking she's getting what she wants but you know it's not interfering with the meds
here's hoping for a quiet weekend for you to build up your energy