So many of us in the same boat

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Bassetlaw Badge, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Isabella

Isabella Registered User

Jan 4, 2014
    You have described it perfectly. Thank you all my TP friends.

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    Its good to know we are never alone. Nite nite friends.

3. patsy56

patsy56 Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Fife Scotland
    night take care

4. Pinky101

Pinky101 Registered User

Jun 9, 2015
    East anglia
    Thank you!
    New to TP but I feel as though I am among friends already. Many real life friends have family with dementia but no one likes to talk about it, and certainly not to moan! And humour is frowned upon. We find the dark humour is what keeps us going, and knowing that if FIL was in our place, he would certainly laugh at the bonkers things he says and does!!

5. Summerheather

Summerheather Registered User

Feb 22, 2015

You are so right, sometimes it's the funny things that keep you going. My Mum one time wouldn't go to bed because of the Russians - she'd been watching an Agatha Christie movie.

6. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    My Dad often gets woken up at 5am to find my Mum 'tucking him in'...! Bruv and I go 'Ah that's sweet' but apparently it often happens again 30 minutes later. And again another 30 minutes later. Etc.

We tell her the next day and she laughs. Mum still has her sense of humour for now at least (some of the time anyway), luckily Dad does too!

7. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    The Long Lonely Walk of the Carer

I have looked back on my posts to remind myself that life now is actually a great deal better than it was this time last year. I found this and thought new members might like it. I got all poetic late one night. Thank you friends for walking with me. Crying again now, but the good kind.

In the dark moments I imagine being a carer like a long walk in the darkness. I can see figures beside me, in front of me and behind me. I dont know these people but just knowing that I am not alone gives me the strength to continue.

This journey will end some day but I wont be the same person I was when we started. I will be older, worn and wise in a way I never wanted to be. But I know that holding the hand of the person I love and walking was all I could do. For me, not walking with them was NEVER an option. So I keep walking fueled by love and the memories of the past. Im glad I can only see a little way ahead. I only focus on the next few steps. Eventually we will get to the light and we will say goodbye.

8. Frankieisblue

Frankieisblue Registered User

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you very much

This is the only place I can say how selfish and unhelpful others in my family have been

God bless to

9. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    I say Keep Talking about Dementia....if it's out there, it can't be kept secret. The more people know the varients, the more tolerance can increase. If the true number of " sufferers" was known, and by "Sufferers" I mean both the Diagnosed/Undiagnosed and the Carers alike, but if the true number was known then those in power might start take action to fund carers and research more fairly.