So little time so much to do!!

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Tammy5, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Tammy5

Tammy5 Registered User

Jan 29, 2016
    Surrey
    Humm!! I have 3 young boys. One with downs and behavioural issues, part time work and mum living with us with MD. feeling slightly jealous of the nice times mums carer is having with her and the nice times my friends have with their children! No matter how I arrange help for mum or the boys I just end up "doing the do" not participating in the fun!! Must try harder this week!! Priorities!!

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Goodness me you are doing a juggling act!! Yep you are so right, you need to consciously set aside some fun time for you - whether it is with mum or the boys or perhaps even.......on your own or with hubby!!! I found even just a few hours made me ready to again, but you definitely do or you will feel you are missing out xxx

3. Mrsbusy

Mrsbusy Registered User

Aug 15, 2015
    Can you not try and set aside one evening a week for time to watch a movie with popcorn with the children maybe? Or one afternoon a week where you ignore housework etc to have quality time with Mum. I know I make it sound easy but I think unless you make a conscience effort to make it part of the routine, we all get used to just doing the drudgery of everyday life. Look at it as an investment, time to make memories for you all, housework us always there unfortunately unlike children and parents.

4. CJinUSA

CJinUSA Registered User

Jan 20, 2014
    eastern USA
    You have a lot on your plate. I remember how hard it was to hear the carer with my mother, laughing at movies they were watching, joking together about this or that, chit-chatting about hair styles and colors, and so forth. I have a job where I work onsite part of the time and work at home the rest of the time. I was working on a major project, and I could hear them in the room below, having a good time. I needed, for the sake of my job, to get my project done. It sometimes felt bewilderingly unfair.

I agree with the others, try to find some time where you will feel rewarded for the time you spend with the kids and happy about the times you have with your mother. It all goes by so fast. One thing I should have done is tell the carer to do some things around the house so that I could have that quality time with my mother. Hindsight being 20-20, I didn't think it possible at the time.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

5. Tammy5

Tammy5 Registered User

Jan 29, 2016
    Surrey
    Working from home 2 mornings and office 3 mornings pick up from school at 3 start dinner at 4 etc; it's a. Ew business too and always end up doing a it more as my boss is very fleoxe to accommodate me!! Today house stuff till 12 then puzzles and a movie!! My husband has take my youngest to a football match up north so they will have quality time!! Thank you!!