So is this it...?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
No I don’t either. I have no blind in the kitchen and just put up with the 4 weeks a year when I get blinded in the morning. Curtains stay open except in the dark of winter when OH is out. We are so lucky - small hamlet overlooking fields
Hilariously I now have blackout blinds I can’t raise & am in the gloom 24/7! OH works for DIY company! I’d rather he didn’t DIY !!!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
it’s a system that sets you up to fail. You follow the rules & regulations & continually do your best - but the system doesn’t care about that. It’s about hitting targets & ticking boxes. The care element is dictated by finances. If you can afford good care then fantastic; but if you don’t have that financial advantage & the system won’t let you take advantage of CHC funding ... it’s a frightening lottery.

I’m disgusted that those making these decisions have the arrogance & assumed power & can disregard care plans etc. & be protected by the system that should be protecting the PWD !!!

Thats exactly the problem @DesperateofDevon its a post code lottery, inequitable, incapable of carrying out its responsibilities and downright frustrating and when a SW tells you to 'keep on calling' frankly I could ram the damn phone somewhere else

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Access to care plans??
When should these be updated?
Should LPA’s have access to these ?
What about Daily diaries- should LPA’s have online access to these?

anyone have any experience?

the care plan we have been given is the one I wrote out on Dads admission.

nothing about what the home give him medically or what he eats or drinks daily?

nothing about his days?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thats exactly the problem @DesperateofDevon its a post code lottery, inequitable, incapable of carrying out its responsibilities and downright frustrating and when a SW tells you to 'keep on calling' frankly I could ram the damn phone somewhere else

why is it us who always have to keep on calling- what actually does a social worker do if it’s no longer a social needs issue? Shouldn’t they be stating as such!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am really sorry you are having so much trouble with the care home.
Mums care plan was reviewed every 6 months (and I got a revision of her care fees then too), but it would not have stopped the care home from changing what they did when necessary. I was able to view the daily diary if I asked about anything, but they wernt on-line.

PS - CHC is almost impossible to get if the problem is dementia, as this is not considered a health need, but a social need instead. My mum passed away from dementia without ever qualifying for CHC. It can also be quite restrictive in that many homes will not accept someone on CHC.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Where you informed of when they did what they did when necessary? @canary
As DRs are being called & decisions made without us being ever informed. Especially as these decisions go against Dads LPA wishes & TEP plan .
Apparently we don’t have the right to see anything else than the care plan which I wrote on his admission! No updates or discussions ever!

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @DesperateofDevon, I was always informed of any medical visits (so I could be in attendance - which I nearly always did) and any outcomes/diagnosis and changes in medication. We completed a care plan on admission with quite a bit of input from me, and we went back and reviewed it at the end of the first month and made a few tweaks, the main one being the dietitians weight gain plan. It was supposed to be reviewed thereafter on a six monthly basis. I guess it depends on the Care Home - Mum's was run by a quite a large company so had a independent quality control team who used to come round and undertake audits - I think I was 'interviewed' 3 times in 5 months with Mum to find out if there were any issues and to score different areas of the service - they used to go through the records too to ensure they were being correctly maintained.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Where you informed of when they did what they did when necessary?
Yes, I was told when medication was changed (although there was one occasion when they forgot to tell me, but I think that was a genuine oversight), when she had a fall, if there was an altercation with another resident, when when the GP was called out, when she became incontinent and had to have pads and personal care and I was informed when she stopped eating. They discussed with me about how to manage her falls and about alarms and at the end they discussed with me how best to handle it and what my/her wishes would be.

Your dads CH seems to be in denial that he has reached end stage and I dont know why.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Today I have hit rock bottom, I can’t sleep at night & im exhausted & continually crying. Yep the numbness has lifted! I think I’d rather be numb than feel this chest compressing grief.....

basic care needs of not being in pain are blatantly being ignored, because Dad doesn’t express pain in the typical way.
So much for person centred care!

how can I visit my Dad - see him in pain & not say anything? How given Monday’s experiences can I ever hope for anyone to take notice of me.

I need to get my Dad the help he desperately needs & have no one to actually back me up medically!

as the appropriate tests haven’t been done I am now crushed by all of this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I dont know what to suggest.

PS - mum was in a small independent home, so it isnt just the large chains that adapt care needs

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@Pete1 @canary I wish I could put him somewhere else I want him out of there. The safeguarding is supposed to ensure Dads wellbeing - not allowing the home to keep staying they are the professionals & it’s just my opinion.

shockingly arrogant behaviour on the part of the district matron & care home manager.

bullying behaviour as they know we can’t afford to move him without the funding county councils input.

no contact still from safeguarding investigation team, The investigating council, social worker for Dad, the funding council ..... anyone .....

No wonder I’m broken & in tears today. So shocked & horrified that my lovely Dad is allowed to be treated in this way & it’s being portrayed that we are lying & trouble making.

this is so wrong....

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
It seems an impossible situation for you @DesperateofDevon, can any of your other family go and visit your Dad while you try and recuperate as it sounds as though you are quite unwell at the moment.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
....could you husband perhaps follow up with those involved in the safeguarding to find out the timelines for getting some answers?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I dont know what to suggest.

I just feel that this nightmare will never end except when Dad dies.

PS - mum was in a small independent home, so it isnt just the large chains that adapt care needs

why are the home so resistant to openness - makes their CQC rating redundant

If I go to the CQC now I will appear to be petty & not letting the safeguarding process take its course.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
....could you husband perhaps follow up with those involved in the safeguarding to find out the timelines for getting some answers?
They will be in contact with us - we don’t have a number on which to contact them or an email & yes I have tried to get those !
My husband works away all week,so not really an option & he’s used up all his holidays this year trying to help me get things sorted out.

I’m not usually this negative but I’m beaten down now & cant see a way forward

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It seems an impossible situation for you @DesperateofDevon, can any of your other family go and visit your Dad while you try and recuperate as it sounds as though you are quite unwell at the moment.

my husband works away all week & my daughter feels uncomfortable going in on her own as well now. There isn’t anyone else ... just me. That’s why I’m so upset .. I’ve failed as a LPA to ensure his care needs are met. No matter how hard I tried I’ve failed.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I’m sorry to hear how you are feeling @DesperateofDevon , it’s not a surprise really with all you have going on . You have NOT failed your dad at all, please don’t think that , are you on a holiday sunning yourself and not thinking about him ?! No you are beside yourself and not sleeping etc so you haven’t failed him you are hitting brick walls . I don’t know anything about it so please ignore if this sounds silly , I think that all these things take time unfortunately and it’s a case of letting the slow wheels slowly creak , I would like to think that something will happen soon. Please allow yourself some time to pick yourself back up and carry on, you wouldn’t expect your beloved car to get you from A to B with no petrol and the same goes for you , you need time to top up your tank as it sounds you have been running on fumes for a while . My dad was in agony for months before he died and I couldn’t get him stronger pain relief , I used to think constantly if only , I have had to let it go as it wasn’t doing me any good . I send you huge hugs and strength . Could you just switch off everything and just hibernate with pooch under quilt for a day or two . X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I have had a medical review today with Dads GP over the phone & have been told it’s the the care home who review his needs & I have to let the safeguarding take its route.

My poor Dad, it’s not fair he’s in pain & I can’t do a thing about him as I can’t prove this medically; I will have to ask the care home to assess his needs .....