So into (hot) Nursing Hpme...

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Dad has finally been admitted into a Nursing home after two months wait (assessment) in Hospital.
We had to chose somewhere out of our locality in the end in order for him to be placed.
Although I have visited many Care/Nursing homes it was a while ago and only for a short time. Are they all so HOT? no wonder people fall asleep!
We were not too impressed with the room Dad was given but were told that it was about to be decorated, hope so because it is a bit grim.
Dad is fully funded at the moment but I believe that at his review in 3 months time that the hard strapped NHS will attempt to pull his funding.
We are going to visit either tomorrow or Monday, I hope it isn't so Hot in there then or I might fall asleep......Im sure it isn't necessary especially at this time of year for it to be quite so hot!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Yup. It is necessary for it to be hotter than you would want.

Some people, like my mum, feel the cold and also feel very cold to the touch. With mum I think it's to do with her medication and the fact her brain can't balance her body temperature any more

I prefer to be too hot and have to strip off layers than feel my mum is cold

Sorry the move isn't closer to you, but glad, for want of a better word, that he's no longer in hospital x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
I have just been to a jumble sale at the home in the village and it was boiling in there. I'm naturally a cold person I love heat in the house but even for me it was unbearable.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Dad is fully funded at the moment but I believe that at his review in 3 months time that the hard strapped NHS will attempt to pull his funding."

Continually check the nursing home records, make sure they are detailed and that all 'events' are correctly recorded. You could also start your own log.

When it comes to a review it is crucial to have evidence, well kept records are a good way of providing this.

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
Yes I agree most care homes are too hot, but now I've got my mum living with me our house is like a greenhouse too as I worry about her getting cold- I'm actually getting a headache and boiling at the mo from being too hot.

( Time to take my clothes off I guess :eek: )

Hope your Dad settles well katie :)

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Hot

I said it was hot at Mams home, the staff said wait till summer the heating still has to be on. When I've been i come out feeling so thirsty.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
It was always hot at my Husband's CH. Most times Pete was still cold. Sometimes with Dementia the part of the brain that controls temperature can be affected; therefore, what can feel hot to people without Dementia can feel cold to a sufferer. I always wore layers when I visited Pete-always easy to take off-and had a bottle of water available.

Take care

Lyn T XX