So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yeah- we were at 6,500 feet, but to get anywhere out of our valley, we had to cross the mountains, which were over 11,000 feet. Beautiful country though! And I loved the fact that it cooled off so much at night even in Summer, when it could be around 40-45C during the day, but chilly at night because of the altitude.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Daughter's been back to hospital today with the baby, and although they were allowed home for the night, they have to go back in the morning for more tests. Baby hasn't been feeding well, and dau's milk has been very slow to come. The baby will feed for a minute or two and then stop- then an hour later, he's hungry again and screaming, but as soon as he starts feeding, he seems to lose interest and stop! So he's dehydrated and dau is utterly exhausted. Now they are trying supplementary feeding with bottles. He's still not taking enough. The midwife thinks he'll be ok by tomorrow. But dau needs sleep.
I know the modern way is to send them home from hospital immediately - but in a way, a few days rest and recovery, with staff on hand to help with such problems and provide new mums with reassurance was no bad thing!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh what lovely news! Two beautiful healthy babies. Congratulations to both Grandmas, who will now find their own aches and pains disappear, as they are too busy to think about them, whilst gazing adoringly at these 2 precious gifts. :)

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Lady A, I hope there's better news of Philip's feeding and your daughter has managed to get some rest. When my first daughter was born we had 10 days in hospital, which was standard practice and, as we had feeding problems, it was the best place to be. The babies were taken to the nursery at night so Mums could get some sleep. Two years later when my second daughter was born the babies stayed beside their mums beds all night and it was home in less than 24 hours! I think it causes new Mums a lot of stress as it's not easy getting the feeding right, I know the midwife calls but it's not the same as having 24/7 support for those first crucial days. Do hope things are improving. xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Baby much better, and feeding much better. He had lost too much of his birth weight, but today they said he gained back 180g overnight! And he's much more alert. And dau's had a bit more sleep, because baby is content between feeds. here's the cutest little snuggly that ever there was! DSC_0008.jpeg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so nerve wracking when things don`t go smoothly with a new baby isn`t it. Thank goodness things are looking better.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Baby much better, and feeding much better. He had lost too much of his birth weight, but today they said he gained back 180g overnight! And he's much more alert. And dau's had a bit more sleep, because baby is content between feeds. here's the cutest little snuggly that ever there was! View attachment 53595

Ah.... he is beautiful.

Aisling xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
So glad things are improving, at least he was a good size to begin with. Gorgeous picture, I do envy you a newborn to cuddle! xxxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
How beautiful! Forgotten what it is like to hold a newborn. My youngest is 2, time has passed so quickly. Enjoy these precious moments xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Let there always be a little treat! :) Have to indulge in this now and then. I find it very sweet though so wouldn't eat much at a time, but a little bit is yummy! DSC_0004.jpeg

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I pinched a few from the "Black Magic" box over Christmas & am seriously tempted to buy myself a box (if I can hide them from mother)!!!

Treats are good for you :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The chocolate sounds interesting, LadyA. Haven't seen it around but perhaps it's on the 'free from' shelves.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Talking Point mobile app

Yes - in Tesco with the gluten free stuff. They also do chocolate wafers, a good selection of biscuits (which I cheerfully serve to visitors without saying anything) and marshmallows! Also fabulous little treats are Nakd Posh Bites, which are made from ground dates, raw cocoa and bits of dried fruit like mandarin or raspberry. They are expensive enough - €4 for a "grab-bag" size bag, but they really are an indulgent treat, like eating chocolates. Sweet, but not the sickly sweet of chocolates. And of course, good for you - as long as you don't eat way too many, and if you did, you'd probably get diarrhoea from all that dried fruit! Also, Nakd Fruit & Nut nibbles, which come in little treat sized 40g bags, also made just from ground fruit. Wonderful!! And I got a box with four treat size bags in for €4 in tesco at the weekend.

I still get an occasional headache - but nowhere near as often and even when I do, they are not nearly so severe. I've had one in the last month or more.