So, here we are.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
It's the one tool I've never been able to master. Always afraid of my toes. So it's still long handled shears for me. How stupid.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
We have both Lady A , huge petrol for the rough stuff and a cordless one for simple stuff, treat yourself ! Anything to make a job easier helps in the long run..even if it is getting some help in xx

I second that, we have both and I sent off for two extra batteries, I now use the rechargeable more than the petrol one.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Got the rest of the mowing done today. Delighted to have that done- it's very rough, uneven ground out there, with steep hills and lots of obstacles. But as I mowed, I could see lots of other jobs that need doing, and wanted to go do those. Go me! I'm actually feeling, tentatively, like I might be "waking up " out of what my friend refers to as The Apathy of Grief. That feeling that you just can't do anything. It's too much effort, and doesn't matter anyway.
Also, I cooked a nice omelette for lunch - with lots of veg in it. Tomatoes, mushrooms, bok choi, green beans and cheese on top. Before lunch, I went to put fresh flowers on William's grave, and got myself a lovely bunch of reduced price lillies as well. Didn't get reduced price flowers for William - he got full price mixed bouquet! :-D gerbera, roses, chrysanthemums and some greenery.

Last edited:

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Got the rest of the mowing done today. Delighted to have that done- it's very rough, uneven ground out there, with steep hills and lots of obstacles. But as I mowed, I could see lots of other jobs that need doing, and wanted to go do those. Go me! I'm actually feeling, tentatively, like I might be "waking up " out of what my friend refers to as The Apathy of Grief. That feeling that you just can't do anything. It's too much effort, and doesn't matter anyway.
Also, I cooked a nice omelette for lunch - with lots of veg in it. Tomatoes, mushrooms, bok choi, green beans and cheese on top. Before lunch, I went to put fresh flowers on William's grave, and got myself a lovely bunch of reduced price lillies as well. Didn't get reduced price flowers for William - he got full price mixed bouquet! :-D gerbera, roses, chrysanthemums and some greenery.

Glad you have had a good day. Hope you don't overdo it and try to do too much. G L

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The Memorial Service for William is taking place right now, in the US, for family and friends who couldn't come to the funeral. Literally, hundreds were expected. Thursday, one of his daughter's called and said they just about can't stand it that I won't be there, so would pay for a ticket, if I could go - but I let my passport expire last year. And I don't think I could go through another service, to be honest. But yet, I'm finding it terribly upsetting sitting here thinking about it!

Last edited:

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Must be very difficult for you, maybe you could chat with your daughter on the phone if not in person is possible? Supportive hugs for you xx (and well done on getting the garden mowed )

Last edited:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
How lovely that you have got that kind of relationship with your stepdaughter. Think I might have said that about your stepson too re that other business. Can only imagine how you feel, probably wanting to be there for him but not being able to. Xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It's William's children Celia - they are all around my age. He was a widower when I married him.

I wouldn't want to be there - I'm just about getting over the immediate trauma of the death & funeral here. I really wouldn't want to go through another service. Although it would be lovely to see his family. But a whole weekend reunion would be hard going - especially with so very many people expected at the service, very few of whom would know me. Nope - best I stayed here!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Yes, a second service would be very hard. I can understand your distress thinking about it happening at the time though.
I hope that now this is done, you will feel a certain sense of knowing that all is done that should be done and your William can rest in peace - and hopefully you will be able to as well/ x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
William`s children have done all the right things lady A. It`s lovely they wanted their own service for their father and wonderful they wanted you with them.

I hope when you have recovered from the upset you will be left with a feeling of warmth that even though William spent the latter years of his life miles away from them their feelings for him and you were as strong as ever.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
They sent me a phone number, and some sort of id code, so that I could have listened in by phone. To be honest, I didn't want to. All in all, it's been an upsetting weekend. On Saturday, there was a free electrical recycling collection in the carpark of Tesco, and I finally took Willam's old computer & monitor and handed them in. We only used it for watching dvds - every evening before he went into care, we sat and watched either travel or wildlife documentaries or occasionally, an old film. Nothing rated over "U" - and if anyone started shouting in it, I had to turn it off, as he would get upset. The computer was years old - at least 12 I would think - and had been resurrected from the dead a couple of times, and had the dvd drive replaced several times. But now was beyond repair. It actually kicked the bucket just a few weeks after William went into care last September. So it was time to let it go. But I found it very hard - cried buckets over it. It was like a last link to him. So, between that and knowing the service was going on, it was a tough weekend.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Apologies for not making myself clear, I meant your daughter who, I think, lives locally. I was just thinking of you not sitting there on your own.

I hope you feel a little better today x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Apologies for not making myself clear, I meant your daughter who, I think, lives locally. I was just thinking of you not sitting there on your own.

I hope you feel a little better today x

Oh yes, I see. I was actually out for the whole day with my daughter on Saturday! :) We had a lovely day - we went to a small, very picturesque village about 45 minutes inland, and there's also a famous gardens/park there. We wandered in the gardens and park and then had lunch in the village. And then when we got back to her house, her husband cooked us fresh fried mackerel for tea! :)

And - very exciting! This evening she and her husband are going with a Surveyor to check over the house they are buying! It's their first house of their own. They are married two years today, and have been saving really hard - they actually have both been saving most of their lives with the intention of "some day" getting their own home! They both work very hard and live very frugally, and have saved every penny they could. They hope to be moved in by possibly the end of September. :) I'm so pleased for them! The house is smaller than they would like (only two bedrooms), but it's a start - and will get them out of the rented house they've been in, which is freezing cold in Winter, and they have not liked the house since they moved in, but it was a case of needs must.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh yes, I see. I was actually out for the whole day with my daughter on Saturday! :) We had a lovely day - we went to a small, very picturesque village about 45 minutes inland, and there's also a famous gardens/park there. We wandered in the gardens and park and then had lunch in the village. And then when we got back to her house, her husband cooked us fresh fried mackerel for tea! :)

And - very exciting! This evening she and her husband are going with a Surveyor to check over the house they are buying! It's their first house of their own. They are married two years today, and have been saving really hard - they actually have both been saving most of their lives with the intention of "some day" getting their own home! They both work very hard and live very frugally, and have saved every penny they could. They hope to be moved in by possibly the end of September. :) I'm so pleased for them! The house is smaller than they would like (only two bedrooms), but it's a start - and will get them out of the rented house they've been in, which is freezing cold in Winter, and they have not liked the house since they moved in, but it was a case of needs must.

Just to say, sweetie, that I am thinking of you today. A hard day for you. xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Just to say, sweetie, that I am thinking of you today. A hard day for you. xxx

Thanks Scarlett - I wasn't expecting it to be, today. But it has. Waves and waves of tears this afternoon. Not at all helped by looking at a short video of the bit of the Memorial Service around the graveside in the US, where there is a headstone up - where William's first wife is buried, and his name is on there too. The family have put the dates and "buried in Ireland" on. And to compound matters, I went down to what used to be our bedroom (now the spare room) for something, and with another fit of tears, sat on the bed - and looking blankly at the bookshelf, what should I find but William's ancient address book! With his tiny writing filling the pages. Not only that - but there are several contact details in there that the family were looking for while they were here, and could we find them? Could we heck! I knew they had to be here somewhere!

But anyway - all my great plans of getting on with some gardening and things are gone by the wayside today. Nothing done - except getting the kitchen bin cleaned. Which is I suppose something.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thank you Verity. I wallowed in a hot bath (actually fell fast asleep in it!) and then sat and watched three episodes of To the Manor Born. Escapism, which is just what I needed. :)

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hope you are feeling better this morning, Lady A.
Yesterday would have been so difficult for you, with all sorts of emotions on top of your own ongoing grief.
Thinking of you.