So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Horrible time recently, notably mum having to have an emergency pacemaker fitted on Saturday last. However, it's good to notice that mum already looks so much better than she has for a very long time!

Little grandson has had his first birthday! He's desperate to walk, but not got there yet!
And my kitties are doing well! I'm very exhausted, after a lot of running around before, during and since Christmas, having had guests staying, and having had a cold. But I'm getting there. More guests coming next week, but only for about four days.
IMG_20171231_194602189.jpg
IMG_20180108_205238836_HDR.jpg

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Glad your mum is feeling better with pacemaker and your grandson looks a little cutie. Your kittens are so sweet. My goodness LadyA you are busy...do you run a B & B as well?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@jaymor he didn't even get to eat that tiny cake!! He's never had sugary stuff. Favourite foods are plain pasta ("PAS!!"), cucumber, tomato, plain cooked chicken and chick peas!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I wish I hadn't`.

Your little grandson looks a picture of heath.
He's a chubster! Not flabby though, but solid as a block. Physically, he's a curious blend of his parents. He has my daughter's long back and long arms, and his dad's large hands.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Glad your mum is feeling better with pacemaker and your grandson looks a little cutie. Your kittens are so sweet. My goodness LadyA you are busy...do you run a B & B as well?
My last lot of guests were some of my late husband's adult grandchildren, on their way home to the US from working in a refugee camp on Lesbos. They stayed ten days with me, mowing lawns, cutting hedges and cutting down trees and doing repairs! This next lot are also grandchildren of my husband, but are only staying for a few days.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh isn't it awful, when you are sucker-punched by something mundane that unexpectedly brings tears? Driving to church this morning and Sinead O'Connor's song, "Nothing Compares to You" came on the radio. That line, "Since you've been gone, I can do whatever I want" :(:(:(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't think it is mundane @LadyA,, it was an unexpected piece , of sentimental value , and you had no chance to prepare for it.

Music and meaningful lyrics can tug at the heartstrings like nothing else.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
@LadyA, I agree with Sylvia that it's not mundane. The words deeply touched a cord within when you were least expecting it. The sudden and unexpected does hit hard.

Loo xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think it brought back those times, when I literally couldn't go to the loo by myself, and William could be aggressive, so I was living in a state of constant anxiety and too little sleep, and there were times when quite honestly, I used to console myself by thinking that it couldn't go on forever. And of course, I was right. :(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
This weather, eh?! I'm fortunate that I don't need to go anywhere. I would normally be working tomorrow morning, but the lady I work with told me not to come, as it's around 45 - 50 minutes round trip. I've plenty of food in. My gas to the cooker has frozen even though I insulated the cylinder as best I could. I'll have to thaw it tomorrow for cooking. Today's been a constant round of replacing the hens' water as it kept freezing, trying to rig up some windbreak and shielding for the hen run, which has a roof, but the snow was blowing straight in through the mesh walls. I can tell you, using a heavy duty stapler in this weather is "character building"! Clearing the path to the coal she'd. Every task seems twice the work in this weather!

I'm struggling with the point of it all. Last time we had this kind of weather, in 2010, i was caring for William and dau was still living at home too. Now, I'm here by myself, and I'm keeping the stove going, bringing in fuel, clearing the path from the house to the fuel shed, keeping the downpipes clear, etc etc. But it seems so much more of a struggle, when it's just for me, does that make sense? Like there's no point or purpose to any of it. If it wasn't that I had to get up to see to the chickens and cats, I think I would just stay in bed and not bother. I did it all today, and even took a short walk, but I didn't even get dressed! I threw an insulated track suit trousers on, and a sort of semi pyjama/kind of sweatshirt top on, and off I went!

Please God, March, having come in like a lion, will now become lamb like.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I know just what you mean about it not being worth it...just for ourselves. I lit the fire yesterday, but thought I could just as easily have wrapped in a blanket. And I only ate a proper lunch because my daughter had cooked too much for herself. Thank goodness for the animals....well, for you anyway. I don’t have any. If I did live alone for any length of time, I would / will get a dog again.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I was just thinking yesterday that this feels odd. It's the first time for over 15 years that I've not been responsible for the safety and comfort of either my mum or Bill. It just felt weird.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
This weather, eh?! I'm fortunate that I don't need to go anywhere. I would normally be working tomorrow morning, but the lady I work with told me not to come, as it's around 45 - 50 minutes round trip. I've plenty of food in. My gas to the cooker has frozen even though I insulated the cylinder as best I could. I'll have to thaw it tomorrow for cooking. Today's been a constant round of replacing the hens' water as it kept freezing, trying to rig up some windbreak and shielding for the hen run, which has a roof, but the snow was blowing straight in through the mesh walls. I can tell you, using a heavy duty stapler in this weather is "character building"! Clearing the path to the coal she'd. Every task seems twice the work in this weather!

I'm struggling with the point of it all. Last time we had this kind of weather, in 2010, i was caring for William and dau was still living at home too. Now, I'm here by myself, and I'm keeping the stove going, bringing in fuel, clearing the path from the house to the fuel shed, keeping the downpipes clear, etc etc. But it seems so much more of a struggle, when it's just for me, does that make sense? Like there's no point or purpose to any of it. If it wasn't that I had to get up to see to the chickens and cats, I think I would just stay in bed and not bother. I did it all today, and even took a short walk, but I didn't even get dressed! I threw an insulated track suit trousers on, and a sort of semi pyjama/kind of sweatshirt top on, and off I went!

Please God, March, having come in like a lion, will now become lamb like.

It’s Saffie that keeps me going though I’m not sure she’ll get her walk this morning. Certainly not her usual one which I have to drive to, though might walk her around the block as ootherwise she will keep looking at me with accusing eyes all day!
Put a cat flap in the door or use a litter tray. Put some dried cat food and leave it and bring the chickens into the kitchen (keep the cat out though!) Then return to bed - with a hot water bottle or two! Sorted! x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It’s Saffie that keeps me going though I’m not sure she’ll get her walk this morning. Certainly not her usual one which I have to drive to, though might walk her around the block as ootherwise she will keep looking at me with accusing eyes all day!
Put a cat flap in the door or use a litter tray. Put some dried cat food and leave it and bring the chickens into the kitchen (keep the cat out though!) Then return to bed - with a hot water bottle or two! Sorted! x
The cats are house cats, because they are rescues with health issues, and carriers/shedders of the viruses they had. So, they're fine. Bring the chickens in the house?? Nooo! They'd get stressed out, and so would I! Chicken poo everywhere! I'll check on them several times today, and feed them a hot mash this evening. Since I got the windbreaks up it's so much better in their run!
Fingers crossed the power stays on!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The cats are house cats, because they are rescues with health issues, and carriers/shedders of the viruses they had. So, they're fine. Bring the chickens in the house?? Nooo! They'd get stressed out, and so would I! Chicken poo everywhere! I'll check on them several times today, and feed them a hot mash this evening. Since I got the windbreaks up it's so much better in their run!
Fingers crossed the power stays on!
We kept a piglet in the house because he was a runt and it was too cold for him to go outside. Beautiful, clean animal and perfectly housetrained.