So, here we are.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Coincidence LadyA - I've been extending our chicken run this week...snip, snip, snip of the blooming wire. Then staple, staple, staple...
I'm getting 3 rescue hens at the weekend from a rescue organisation - you might have heard some of the coverage on the radio? They need to be kept segregated from our existing chickens for a while so it's been Operation Hen House No2 here ;)
Well done - looking forward to hearing about your new flock!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Coincidence LadyA - I've been extending our chicken run this week...snip, snip, snip of the blooming wire. Then staple, staple, staple...
I'm getting 3 rescue hens at the weekend from a rescue organisation - you might have heard some of the coverage on the radio? They need to be kept segregated from our existing chickens for a while so it's been Operation Hen House No2 here ;)
Well done - looking forward to hearing about your new flock!

No, I don't listen to the radio either! :rolleyes: From Little Hill Rescue, I assume? But I saw on FB that there was bit let down for a rescue during the week, where several people who had promised to take so many hens each, then didn't turn up at the collection point, and they were left with a good number of hens and nowhere for them. :mad:

There's been a lot of controversy about being registered with the Dept., and whether it's all a big plot on Govt.'s part. You know, first make all backyard small flock keepers register & get a herd number, and then eliminate them, type of thing. I've been registered with the Dept of Ag. since the first outbreak of Avian Flu. Only thing I've ever heard from them is text notices warning of farm safety, eg. the dangers of slurry pits, etc.! And the advantage is that once you have a "herd number" for your chickens, you can use the same herd number if, for example, you decided to buy a pig to raise for meat, or a couple of lambs to keep grass down.

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My son wants chickens for eggs - there is a house near us which has about 4, although they were kept in during avian flu risk they are back out, we go past side of house walking the dog - I've said no whilst we have trampoline which is a flimsy excuse as they could have their run under it - but just no time.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My son wants chickens for eggs - there is a house near us which has about 4, although they were kept in during avian flu risk they are back out, we go past side of house walking the dog - I've said no whilst we have trampoline which is a flimsy excuse as they could have their run under it - but just no time.

:D They don't take a lot of time. Less than a dog, I would say! And good responsibility for your son?! :D

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I would end up doing it - our back garden isn't that big - 1/3 of lawn space taken up by trampoline.

The dog is walked by the 4 of us, and OH always does the early morning walk.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Gosh, I'm exhausted! I spent all afternoon working on the chicken house. Cleaning out the old bedding (yes, I hadn't even done that when the last lot left!), and the long ropes of cobwebs, ugh!, sweeping it all out, scrubbing it clean, disinfecting it and finally, painting a coat of wood preservative/varnish stuff on the outside. Now, it's all ready for it's new residents. I just have to get some feed, and put something like wood chips on the floor of the run, and of course, get the hens!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
How many, LadyA and what kind?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Talking Point mobile app

Verity! How are you? And how is Fred?
I'll most likely get about six. And I usually get just hybrid layers. Fancy breeds are only worth it if you are breeding chickens, which I've not been interested in.

Running out to work! :rolleyes: I've been posting recipes in the Recipes thread, and now I'm almost late!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hello. Fred is not too bad, some happy days and some not so good. Am so pleased that his team won the battle to keep him in their lounge. They have relocated him by the window and it seems to have made him so much brighter. Have an assessment coming up so will see what they say. Know it won't be anything good but if he can just be as happy as he can be, that's all I can ask for. Recovering from a traumatic few days when I thought I was going to lose my Katie but, touch wood, she seems to have turned a corner now.
Hope all is well with you and your family. Your grandson looks so adorable. I have 6th great on the way which makes me feel really, really old!!! Enjoy your chicks.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I've been catching up with you LadyA. When will you be getting your chickens? I do envy you the eggs!! Cannot remember when I last tasted a real egg.

Same with tomatoes. Supermarket ones are completely tasteless, and often hard. Often I have thought of growing them on my south facing sunny window - and my new home also the same. But that is as far as I have got, thinking about it.

Verity good to read about Fred, I often think about you both and wonder how he is.

have an assessment coming up so will see what they say. Know it won't be anything good but if he can just be as happy as he can be, that's all I can ask for

Yes it is isn't it. Long may Fred continue to have his happy times. It comforts me to know that Henry's last day before his sudden death in the wee small hours was a particularly happy one of smiles and laughter.

I have 10 great grandchildren, can't quite believe it! Although each of two daughters has 3 children so that's 6 productive grandchildren! And I know there will be more!!

I've passed the feeling really really old as they gradually arrived as I am now really really old!

LadyA what a lovely wee grandson you have! He sounds like my Australian one, 2 years old in June - already. He was very active from a early age, also a big boy, always smiling, and happy. But they do grow up very quickly. Enjoy!

Loo xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Five little red hens now settling in to their new home! ☺ Thankfully, this morning it was much cooler, and in fact, pouring rain when I went to get them. Don't like transporting hens in the car in hot weather. They get very stressed quite quickly, and they don't handle it well. However, although by the time we got home (about 40 minutes) they were all panting a bit, once I got them out of the box and into their house, and they'd found the food and water, they were fine.

I've also been asked to consider giving a home to a rescue cat. Coincidentally, Verity, called Katie! Poor thing had been hit by a car, and has sadly lost a hind leg as a result - it was broken in four places, and the vet felt it would end up a painful hindrance to her. There were well publicised appeals for her owners, as she is apparently very tame, friendly and obviously used to being indoors, but no-one has claimed her. The Rescue said it's all too common for the owners not to come forward when there's a vet's bill involved!
I've said I would think about it - and I did donate towards her bill. She's a lovely cat. But I'm not sure if I want to get into having to buy pet food, cat litter, and make arrangements for boarding a cat if I'm going away, and of course, vet's bills. Part of me wants to, and thinks it would be good to have some life here again, but part of me doesn't!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Can understand your ambivalence, LadyA. Particularly with vet bills! My Katie wasn't covered by insurance as it is all part of a pre-existing condition. My lovely vet did point out to me, very gently, when we thought she might not make it without further intervention that there were many more rescue cats waiting to be rehomed, 80% of whom were perfectly healthy, and that perhaps my finances should be focussed on that. She was right, of course, but luckily it hasn't come to that, fingers crossed. We did once have a lovely Siamese one of whose rear legs was badly damaged in an accident. Fortunately they were able to save it but she couldn't use it for about 2 months and I was totally amazed at how agile she was without the use of it. I hope that that Katie finds a loving home too.

Lovely to hear about your hens. When will they start laying?

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Glad the hens are in and settled, LadyA. How long does it normally take before they start laying or have they already? Taking on new pets is such a dilemma, still part of me wants to but the voice of reason thinks it would be too much of a tie. Hope the cat finds a home and you're not put under any pressure to take it. x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm even ambivalent about the hens, even though they are here! They should start laying any day, as they are about 23 weeks old. I had forgotten that, having been raised in a barn from day old, they would have to be taught to roost on a perch at night! I had to go after dark and lift them on to the perch. I hope they get the hang of it quickly. It's such a pain. I kept them in their house yesterday and this morning, and will let them out into their run later. They need to have their house imprinted on their very tiny brains as "home" so they know where to go at dusk.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I'm even ambivalent about the hens, even though they are here! They should start laying any day, as they are about 23 weeks old. I had forgotten that, having been raised in a barn from day old, they would have to be taught to roost on a perch at night! I had to go after dark and lift them on to the perch. I hope they get the hang of it quickly. It's such a pain. I kept them in their house yesterday and this morning, and will let them out into their run later. They need to have their house imprinted on their very tiny brains as "home" so they know where to go at dusk.

The thought came to mind
'Potty trainjng Hens '
If nothing else amuses me today the thought of Lady A lifting hens onto perches in the dark will keep me smiling
Lets hope they repay your care by starting to lay soon
Nostalgia all the time
A lovely sunny morning here , the thought of years past , open bedroom windows the birds morning chorus , the **** crowing hens clucking
I know it was not like this very often ,but the memories are all the sweeter
Thanks for the laughing thoughts and memories
jimbo