So fast deterioration

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I was told today my husband has to now be fed and given liquids from a nurse. He now can't do this for himself. Three weeks ago this started he is as well very very confused can't follow any instructions 12 weeks ago he went shopping picking things and eating himself. I've been told rapid deterioration happens in younger suffers. What will happen in another 3 weeks time? Has this happened to any other younger suffers? How long does he have now?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear chip, I`m so sorry.

This rapid deterioration is so frightening. I don`t know if it only happens in younger sufferers, as some younger sufferers on the Forum have been poorly for years, or whether it happens in certain forms of dementia.

Someone else might have a better explanation for you, but all I can offer is sympathy.

Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip, I'm so sorry. I'm seeing the same rapid deterioration in John, such a difference in a fortnight. He also has to be fed, and I go in every mealtime to make sure he eats enough.

In his case, it's down to the UTI, though no-one can tell me how far he'll recover. I think rapid deterioration is more common with vascular dementia, not necessarily particularly in younger people. I may be wrong, though, I'm sure people will come along with different histories.

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi chip, sorry to hear of your situation with your husband.

Yes, deteriation can sometimes be very rapid, occasionally caused by infections, or mini-strokes.

However the deteriation usually levels out. Something in the bodies own defence mechanism, I don't know, and so what can seem a very rapid decent in just days or 2/3 weeks then becomes the norm.

Lionel's condition has not really changed much in the last 4 months. Yet the deteriation around end March was so dramatic. We just have to care the best we can whilst we are still blessed with them being with us.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Since the end of March he has been deteriorating a lot.Since the seizures started. Today the hospital said its common in young people with Alzheimers. Now i was confused :confused: At the start of it i was told it was Alzheimers then about a month ago was told he had Fontal Termperalobe and today its went back to Alzheimers :eek: When i quizzed today about it, it was admitted we may never no.
Vascular dementia at least hasn't been mentioned "YET" infections as well haven't been mentioned. I just got told this sometimes happens

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7