So confused

Blodann

Feb 17, 2020
My Husband, has been sectioned for nearly 6months , I visit him everyday in the dementia ward of the hospital. Been asking for him to come home for maybe an hour here and there but the answer has been a firm no as he has bad hallucinations . And could be a danger to himself and others . Had a phone call out of the blue , to say they are thinking of letting Him come home permanent. Not sure if I can manage him 24/7 feeling so confused guilty and depressed ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Blodann
no wonder you feel as you do

ask about the status of the sectioning and funding of his care ... and exactly what has changed since they told you so firmly that he can't return home

there should be a dementia matron (or similar title) to contact and make your worries known

tell the hospital discharge officer/social worker that your husband cannot possibly be discharged unless there has been a full re-assessment of his care needs and a satisfactory care package is in place from the second he is discharged ... they have a duty of care to ensure your husband's needs are properly provided for
be sure to let them know that you do not believe you can provide the care he needs and that you think this would put a vulnerable person at risk of harming himself and others ie you, and that would mean a failed discharge if he has to return to hospital, or a very difficult situation if you are injured
ask that he be discharged to a facility where his needs can be assessed and there is 24hour supervision, not returned home where you will be on your own

sounds awful, but don't be afraid to show how distressed you are, the staff need to understand how this is affecting you

I wonder if there is an Admiral Nurse at the hospital ... even if there isn't one locally, phone their Helpline as they are there to support carers

Blodann

Feb 17, 2020
hi @Blodann
no wonder you feel as you do

ask about the status of the sectioning and funding of his care ... and exactly what has changed since they told you so firmly that he can't return home

there should be a dementia matron (or similar title) to contact and make your worries known

tell the hospital discharge officer/social worker that your husband cannot possibly be discharged unless there has been a full re-assessment of his care needs and a satisfactory care package is in place from the second he is discharged ... they have a duty of care to ensure your husband's needs are properly provided for
be sure to let them know that you do not believe you can provide the care he needs and that you think this would put a vulnerable person at risk of harming himself and others ie you, and that would mean a failed discharge if he has to return to hospital, or a very difficult situation if you are injured
ask that he be discharged to a facility where his needs can be assessed and there is 24hour supervision, not returned home where you will be on your own

sounds awful, but don't be afraid to show how distressed you are, the staff need to understand how this is affecting you

I wonder if there is an Admiral Nurse at the hospital ... even if there isn't one locally, phone their Helpline as they are there to support carers
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-supp...t better now thanks again it’s so stressful x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1