So close to calling the Crisis team for hep ...

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Late last night (Wednesday) my OH started to get the wandering around thing going. Lounge, dining room, kitchen, stairs, bedroom, bathroom and picking up and putting down random objects. This has recently become his before bed routine so I thought nothing of it.
He came downstairs wearing PJ's, dressing gown and odd shoes and started to try and make his way out the front door. He managed to get the safety chain off but coudn't find the key. His behaviour was very odd - distressed, agitated, almost possessed - like a wind up toy gone wrong. I tried to speak to him but he made no sense whatever, just saying he had to get out and that he was scared and trusted no-one and the house was evil. This went on for a while - until gone 01.30 am. I finally agreed to go into the garden with him and he made off for the back gate which leads under the carport and eventually to the street via a locked gate that, again, he had no key to. It was dark, cold, damp and drizzly but he insisted he had to get away, didn't want me near him and would rather be somewhere else.
I managed to get him to return to the garden where he refused to enter the house saying he would spend all night outside. Slowly, I encouraged him back indoors. He sat, still with the back door open, wanting to escape from some dreadful something. His agitation made him quite aggressive. I was frightened *for* him and *by* him.
By 02.45 or so I'd got him to agree to sit on the sofa and close the back door. After more cajoling (and a little blackmail) he came upstairs but refused to get into bed and stated he'd sit as he was, on the side of the bed all night. More blackmail from me (I won't sleep if you don't and I'll be ill in the morning) resulted in him finally agreeing to get out of his dressing gown and footwear and lay down under the quilt where he finally relaxed. It was almost 04.30 by that time. Amongst all this I'd managed to get him to accept his Donepezil and Mirtazapine by mimicking with me taking a double dose of my statin tab.
I really don't know what brought this on - it was as if a switch had been flicked. I was seriously considering calling the Crisis team but didn't have the number and didn't dare leave him alone.
Today - he's his usual old slow, mumbling self , knowing something happened and has apologised over and over and is concerned the neighbours were disturbed or thought he was off his rocker.
I've never seen him like he was in the the midst of whatever it was but I know it was a very dodgy time . I'll admit I was scared for my own safety as well as his. I've since put the Crisis team number on my mobile. I'll find the general number for whoever I need to talk to and see if there's a possibility of a meds review.
It's been a funny old day. Sort of empty and worn out. I hope the devil had fun playing with us.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
That sounds very frightening for both of you. Don't hesitate to call for help if it happens again although I hope it doesn't. Take care.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What a frightening time for you @AbbyGee You’re wise to keep the crisis team number to hand in case it happens again. It sounds very like what happened with my husband once - only once. I think it was different thought as I think it was triggered by exhaustion following us travelling. Would it be worth seeing if you can get him tested for a UTI as well as getting a meds review?

Have you ever had contact with Admiral Nurses? It might be worth a call to them to talk things through and see if they have any advice?

I hope things are better for you both today.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I do hope what happened is a one off @AbbyGee , but should it happen again, please, don't wait for hours, but call the crisis team as soon as you feel frightened BY him.
I think we often have a wrong perception of the danger we are in. I mean, we are in danger, but we can't somehow realise it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
it was as if a switch had been flicked.

I had several of this type of episode with my husband @AbbyGee and you did really well to manage the situation although you must be exhausted by the effort.

It is the height of confusion.

Is your husband diabetic by any chance? I know this type of episode could be caused by abnormal blood sugar.

I`m glad you now have the number of the crisis team to hand. Please don`t hesitate to phone for help should this happen again. It is too much for any one person to manage alone.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
I also want to say that you have done so well in managing the situation. Good that you now have the crisis number and as mentioned, don't hesitate to call it or any other emergency number. I hope you have been able to have some rest yourself.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi @AbbyGee this is something I dread, and I think you coped brilliantly. I think of my OH’s head like being full of mini volcanoes which you never know when they are going to go off. Last week when he locked the doors and pocketed the keys I didn’t know what to do. Who do I call?

Bones-jones

Jul 14, 2018
That sounds very frightening and frustrating. It’s difficult to stay calm and hard to know what to do in that situation. I think you handled things really well and you got there in the end. You should certainly call for help if you feel that either of you are in danger.
When my mum was terrified of her house we used to take her out a run in the car and she often calmed down and believed that it was a different house when we returned. I think that us acknowledging the problem helped to calm her then ‘solving’ it made the terror go away.

Griffin89

Jan 8, 2021
I can very much sympathise as I have endured several similar episodes. The night wandering is bizarre and is exactly as you described as my wife wanders from room to room picking up items, parceling them up neatly and then can remember nothing about the incident the next morning. This behaviour can go on for several hours and about a week ago, it went on all night and neither of us got any sleep at all. Our house is configured such that our bedroom is close to the front door and I have to position myself by the door to prevent escape.
She is also becoming paranoid about losing certain items and accusing me of moving or losing them, even though it is clear to me that anything being moved is down to her actions. I have tried to keep a diary to see whether these episodes are as a result of diet, exercise, sleep patterns etc but I can find no pattern as everything is so unpredictable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm