So bizarre !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not up to speed, will try and post later.

We didn't actually find out the football result until gone 11pm, we were in the garden BBQing and then came in to watch the cycling highlights. Plenty at work will be upset but more evertonians in office than Reds.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Morning everyone.

I think the not happy bunny may refer to the football results? There are a couple of 'not happy bunnies' in my family too, you see xxxx (edited - Just seen Red's post :) )

Slugsta, cream tea in the garden sounds lovely :) No chance of that here yesterday - torrential rain and lots of loud thunder for most of the day (though no big lightening displays, which was disappointing). It was almost unbearably hot though - couldn't open the windows because of the rain, but the patio doors (which have a covered decking directly outside) were wide open all day, trying to ease the heat. It was stiffling!

Hi Moggymad - she didn't quite go as far as trying to eat the napkins, lol, but after the ammount of soup she put away, I wouldn't have thought she would have room :)

Despite the rain, I spent an awful lot of yesterday sat on the decking with camera in hand. It seems forever since I took the time to do that, and I had a lovely time photographing the antics of the baby starlings, the occasional visit from the jackdaws - and much to my delight, Mr Rook appeared as I was sat there, and I was able to get a few shots of him too. The starlings make me laugh at this time of year, so I thought I'd sahe some of the photo's with you guys :)

Squabling siblings

View attachment 59159
Feeding demanding young

View attachment 59160

View attachment 59161

I got a small suet log feeder, thinking that the bigger birds wouldn't be able to perch on it and feed, meaning the smaller birds could get a share. Not only is the amazingly agile rook able to balance on the poles and reach down (something the other birds can't do cos they are not as big as him) but, one of the starling parents has developed a trick of actually flying close and hovering long enough to grab a mouthful

View attachment 59162

View attachment 59163

Mr Jackdaw

View attachment 59164

And finally, Mr Rook - with a face only a Mother could love!

View attachment 59165

Enjoy the Bank Holiday, and love to all xxxx
These photos are so cool. Thanks for sharing

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello everyone :)

Glad you all like the pics - watching and photographing the birds in the garden is one of my favourite pasttimes - I should make time to do it more often, because its a real stress buster! I posted some of those pics, plus a few more, onto a wildlife place that I am member of and much to my amazement, a journalist from a media company then contacted me, saying that they would like to write a piece around them and that they thought that they might be able to sell them, possibly to a National paper for the weekend editions! I've had a chat with them, been sent a bog standard 'contract' and am now dithering. Research tells me that they are a well established quite large company, been around for a long while - but it also suggests that a few photographers have had trouble getting payment from them. And - by contrast - some photographers have not only been paid promptly, but have had their images in everything from UK nationals to the front cover of Time magazine! Now - there is no way that my pics will do more than maybe make a couple of the bigger publications, and we are talking peanuts (even with a decent % split, we are talking just a few quid) - IF they sell at all, that is. And I am not sure if I should just go for it, just for the thrill of having photo's possibly published even in just one or two national publications, even if I never get paid. Or if I should write it off as probably too good to be true, and not bother. As I said - dithering here!

We had an really gorgeous day here yesterday, hot and mostly sunny. I spent the morning with my camera in the garden, and in the afternoon OH went off in his kayak, whilst I roamed the river banks photographing Beautiful Demoiselle's, a species of damselfly. Literally dozens and dozens of them flitting around, I've never seen so many in one place before.

This morning, I have a large pot of Mil's soup bubbling away already as OH is going to take some into Mil later, and I am looking forward to an admin day (not!). Again, went well over my hours last week, so am determined to only work shorter days this week to try and balance it out.

Hope you are all getting the same gorgeous weather as we are at the moment, and that you all have time and opportunity to enjoy it - much love to all xxxxx

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Hello everyone :)

Glad you all like the pics - watching and photographing the birds in the garden is one of my favourite pasttimes - I should make time to do it more often, because its a real stress buster! I posted some of those pics, plus a few more, onto a wildlife place that I am member of and much to my amazement, a journalist from a media company then contacted me, saying that they would like to write a piece around them and that they thought that they might be able to sell them, possibly to a National paper for the weekend editions! I've had a chat with them, been sent a bog standard 'contract' and am now dithering. Research tells me that they are a well established quite large company, been around for a long while - but it also suggests that a few photographers have had trouble getting payment from them. And - by contrast - some photographers have not only been paid promptly, but have had their images in everything from UK nationals to the front cover of Time magazine! Now - there is no way that my pics will do more than maybe make a couple of the bigger publications, and we are talking peanuts (even with a decent % split, we are talking just a few quid) - IF they sell at all, that is. And I am not sure if I should just go for it, just for the thrill of having photo's possibly published even in just one or two national publications, even if I never get paid. Or if I should write it off as probably too good to be true, and not bother. As I said - dithering here!

We had an really gorgeous day here yesterday, hot and mostly sunny. I spent the morning with my camera in the garden, and in the afternoon OH went off in his kayak, whilst I roamed the river banks photographing Beautiful Demoiselle's, a species of damselfly. Literally dozens and dozens of them flitting around, I've never seen so many in one place before.

This morning, I have a large pot of Mil's soup bubbling away already as OH is going to take some into Mil later, and I am looking forward to an admin day (not!). Again, went well over my hours last week, so am determined to only work shorter days this week to try and balance it out.

Hope you are all getting the same gorgeous weather as we are at the moment, and that you all have time and opportunity to enjoy it - much love to all xxxxx

Hi Ann @Ann Mac and heartiest congratulations! I am feeling so smug: I knew your photos were good! In fact I assumed you were a professional photographer, as well as everything else you do; and I didn’t like to ask because I felt everyone must already know this except for me (being a newcomer).

Now as you know TP is full of advice on every subject so I am going to unburden myself of my two penn’orth. You say you are dithering - so that’s my excuse to butt in. (Doesn’t take much!)

As a former arts worker I know all too well that the issue of payment can be a vexed one. Sometimes ok; sometimes not; always a hassle getting paid; payment always delayed by months at least. Years, more than once, in my case.

But that doesn’t matter much, in this instance - and no one has yet worked out a way around it.

What matters is the PHOTO CREDIT. Your name needs to be attached to any and all reproductions of your photos. Your contract may be bog standard but THIS IT MUST SAY. If you are in any doubt, get someone to look it over.

If it were me, the opportunity to be published and to begin to build a professional reputation as a photographer would make this offer you’ve received, one to be seized with both hands. Of course it’s a gamble, but risk is part of the deal.

OK I’ll stop now.

Love and excited hugs,

Carolyn.

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Your photos are lovely, no wonder there's been interest! About allowing them to be published - the way I look at it, what have you got to lose? You have already invested the time to take the photographs, and if you say no to publication, what will happen to them - will they just sit on the hard drive on your pc? It would be annoying not to get paid, but if you say no, that's the end of it (unless you have some other plan for the pictures?), but if you say yes, your photos could reach a bigger audience and hopefully earn enough to pay for something nice. Fingers crossed it all works out well for you.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
I'm not surprised you were approached - they are superb photos.

Re the contract.. I'm not a lawyer but as said above, ensure you get the credit. But also, retain the copyright on your images - which effectively means you are granting the media company a licence to exploit the images on your behalf. This licence could be an exclusive one, or not, you decide! It could be for a fixed period of time.

And re the payment - as you've already done - check around to see that that percentage royalty they're offering you really is the 'norm'

Good luck with it all - you deserve it!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, how lovely that your photos are receiving to attention they deserve! :) For what it is worth, I would say 'Go for it' regarding selling them. You will never know if you don't try.

Good luck with the soup making - IMO it is faaar too hot to stand over a stove (OH does most of the 'cooking' these days, had roast pork yesterday :) )! We have had a downpour this morning but the temps are set to rise, so it will be quite humid.

OH and I have a funeral to attend today (one of OH's bowling buddies who was 90+) and I am not sure what to wear. My dark clothes are too warm but I don't know how the family will feel about brighter clothes :confused: I think I might wear a blue and green sleeveless dress with a navy linen-look jacket and hope no-one is offended . . .

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Ye
I'm not surprised you were approached - they are superb photos.

Re the contract.. I'm not a lawyer but as said above, ensure you get the credit. But also, retain the copyright on your images - which effectively means you are granting the media company a licence to exploit the images on your behalf. This licence could be an exclusive one, or not, you decide! It could be for a fixed period of time.

And re the payment - as you've already done - check around to see that that percentage royalty they're offering you really is the 'norm'

Good luck with it all - you deserve it!
Yes, brilliant, especially as to copyright retention and to fixed period licensing.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Morning all,

Ann, how lovely that your photos are receiving to attention they deserve! :) For what it is worth, I would say 'Go for it' regarding selling them. You will never know if you don't try.

Good luck with the soup making - IMO it is faaar too hot to stand over a stove (OH does most of the 'cooking' these days, had roast pork yesterday :) )! We have had a downpour this morning but the temps are set to rise, so it will be quite humid.

OH and I have a funeral to attend today (one of OH's bowling buddies who was 90+) and I am not sure what to wear. My dark clothes are too warm but I don't know how the family will feel about brighter clothes :confused: I think I might wear a blue and green sleeveless dress with a navy linen-look jacket and hope no-one is offended . . .

Hi @Slugsta the outfit sounds lovely and very appropriate.

A couple of years ago I went with OH to the funeral of a former student. She was a medievalist who died in her late fifties. The Anglican service was very formal and full of medieval touches as to poetry and music both.

People wore all sorts of different clothes though. And you know who stood out, as looking absolutely right? It was a woman of about the same age who’d come in what was obviously her walking gear. Anorak, sneakers, parachute pants. She looked so at ease, and so free to concentrate on the matter in hand, that she’s caused me to rethink funeral clothes ever since.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
I was stopped by a couple in a car asking for directions to our village's church last week. The woman was dressed, very smartly, in a silvery grey dress and jacket. I had no idea if they were going to a wedding or a funeral. (Turned out to be the latter.) No one is too hung up on that kind of etiquette these days, I think.
I tend to agree with the 'go for it' advice, Ann. I imagine their small print will contain a clause giving them copyright. A lot try to do that now. Insist on a credit, linked to your photography website if you have one.
Well done!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Well, I was the only person at the funeral not wearing black or dark grey, felt very under-dressed and disrespectful! Also rather chilly standing at the graveside, especially as it was raining :( I think it is the first time for some years that I have seen everyone wearing official 'mourning' colours, Mum stipulated that no-one should wear black at her funeral (in fact, my family have always worn navy or grey, even my grandparents, rather than black and I wore a dark green dress to Grandpa's funeral).

The forecast is for rain tomorrow but with temps in low 20s.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Well, I was the only person at the funeral not wearing black or dark grey, felt very under-dressed and disrespectful! Also rather chilly standing at the graveside, especially as it was raining :( I think it is the first time for some years that I have seen everyone wearing official 'mourning' colours, Mum stipulated that no-one should wear black at her funeral (in fact, my family have always worn navy or grey, even my grandparents, rather than black and I wore a dark green dress to G
The forecast is for rain tomorrow but with temps in low 20s.

Oh no!!!!!! Perth very different!!! Feeling guilty for my down dressing advice! Am out of touch! As the politicians say, or rather don’t say nowadays, I accept full responsibility!

However you don’t know, do you, whether someone who attended in their funereal subfusc is not now saying, “Everyone looked so dull! Except for this one person who had honoured the deceased by wearing cheery clothes! And who brightened the sad occasion for the rest of us! Next time I am going to be brave and do the same!”

In which case, a new trend will slowly work its way through the funeral attending locals in your part of the world, and you will have been the pioneer.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Thanks all for the advice re the photographs, everyone. I checked out the % cut and it seems to be about the norm for this type of agency. The contract states that I retain ownership/copyright, but no fixed term for the license, which seems to be how its done with this sort of thing. Aside from the issue of non-payment/waiting forever for payment (which again seems par for the course) a lot who have let this agency deal with their photographs have actually had them published, in quite a few instances quite widely. So - I've gone for it. Its just 8 images, and I guess you guys are right - nothing ventured, nothing gained :)

Slugsta, I'm so sorry that you felt so uncomfortable at the funeral, hun. Your outfit sounded perfectly respectable to me x I have to say that I can't remember the last funeral I went to where everyone was dressed in 'offical mourning', either. It just doesn't seem to happen these days. My own view would be, if I were a friend or family of the chap who passed away, that the fact that someone turns up to pay respects is far more important than what they wear, and I would just be glad that you had come and not worry one bit about what was being worn xxx

I ended up not working yesterday. I very occasionally get labrynthitus, and yesterday I woke knowing that it was starting. I have medication for it to hand, and usually, I catch it early enough that I can stop it dead within a couple of hours. Didn't quite work out that way yesterday, by 8.00 I knew that no way could I spend all day working at a laptop screen, so I emailed in that I was unwell. I'll take some of the hours I am owed, to cover it. Frustrating, as I have a lot to do this week :( Thankfully, the symptoms seem to have gone this morning, so I will just have to try and catch up as much as possible.

OH took the soup in to Mil, to be greeted with the news that she had been up all night, very agitated, and was now sleeping. He went in to see her, but she was absolutely flat out so he decided not to disturb her. Last night, however, we got another call from one of the nurses at the CH - not one I know, and can't say I took to her! She told me that she had called the out of hours GP because Mil had been violently sick :( She was pretty graphic in her description - which I didn't see the need for - and also made a point of letting me know that she should have finished work, but had stayed over, waiting for the GP, who had yet to arrive. I felt like telling her that I'd organise her a medal! Not at all sure what I was supposed to do about a GP keeping her waiting? Anyway, she said she would ask the GP to ring us after he had seen Mil, which he did about an hour later ( This chap was the on call out of hours cover - not Mil's usual, useless GP ).

The GP basically told OH that Mil is 'vey poorly'. He said he could arrange for her to be admitted to hospital and given intravenous fluids because of the sickness, but he felt that 'at this stage' he had to question would it do more harm than good in terms of causing her stress. OH said a firm no, that he would prefer hospital admission to be avoided. The GP agreed and said that instead he would give Mil something that would hopefully ease the sickness for her. He told OH that her blood oxygen levels were very low, (although improved slightly from when she last saw a GP a few days ago) and said he felt that this was possibly down to Mil's COPD worsening, as again, there was no sign of any infection. And that it would be a good idea if OH came in to 'talk to the staff' today.

Obviously, we don't know which way this will go, but after talking to the GP, OH felt that we should let the kids know that things are really not good. He is pretty sure that when he goes this morning, all talk of the medication strip will now be considered unnecessary and that Mil will have been put on end of life care. Neither he nor I can see that the staff would be willing to risk putting her through any form of withdrawal from her medication at the moment, and we both agree with that. He says he is OK, that he was half expecting this after the deterioration of the last couple of weeks. He said that he is glad that he and I have talked about this situation, that we are clear about what we want for her if this is 'it'. But, we both know that we can't predict anything, that we just have to wait and see - as you all know, Mil has had two bad chest infections that had both the staff and us expecting to lose her, and yet she pulled through. That might happen again, or it might not, no way of knowing - its back on that rollercoaster, that so many of us are familiar with, isn't it?

OH said he would prefer it if I spoke to the kids, so I phoned both oldest dau and son. When my own Grandmother died, I was living miles away from the family, in London, and though Gran had been ill for a couple of weeks and they knew it was serious, they didn't tell me as 'you are so far away, there was no point worrying you'. The first I knew was the phone call telling me she had died. That was horrible, no way would I want to put my kids through that, and I know they would rather be prepared. Both were sad, obviously, but they do know that she has been unwell for a couple of weeks and I think, like us, they have been wondering if things would go this way. Son said he didn't want to sound bad, but if Mil does die, it would be almost a relief because 'It's horrible to see the way Nana is now, it's really horrible for her, Mum' - we all know exactly what he means, I guess. Youngest just went very quiet and said 'OK' before going to her room. She is the one who concerns me the most out of the three of them.

I'll keep you all updated, sending love to you all xxxxx

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Our funeral attire has really become relaxed and not for the best. I did not attend this funeral, (and I hate to admit my friends and I were picnicking in the cemetery...that's a story when we are all wearing our robes) and although most of the attendees had on blue jeans one took the prize as his tee shirt was a photo of Duck Dynasty. Have a laugh and google Duck Dynasty.
Thank you all for diverting my attention from the world of PWD.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good idea, Ann. You need time of work, they must owe you plenty of hours anyway. You need to be there for Mr. Mac especially, and your youngest as well. Plus give yourself time to come to terms with things.
(((((Hugs)))))