So bizarre !

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
So sorry about the sad loss of your Mum. You probably have very mixed/conflicting emotions, just make sure you look after YOU as well as everyone else at this time. You have more than enough to worry about as it is.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I thought I had posted on Monday night to say fantastic photos Red, must have lost it somewhere, and a fantastic holiday by the sounds of it.

Ann - my FIL severed contact with me when I got engaged aged 21, I insisted OH visited him annually so it wasn't my fault that contact was lost, OH now says with hindsight this was the wrong thing to do. A year or so before he died FIL (about 13 years later) he indicated I would be accepted if I visited again, whether this was illness, mellowing or a desire to see grandchild I don't know. I did visit, including in hospital where I felt most uncomfortable. I attended his funeral with OH and his siblings. They had had their spouses cold shouldered at the point of engagement as well (so we had known what was coming for us). I'm not sure I did the right thing to go to the funeral, I feel it was false, although I took 2 year old dau and it has given us a limited relationship with MIL. I know OH's brother regrets going to the funeral and hasn't seen MIL for 10 years or so I think. There were lots of persuasive phonecalls went on to get BIL to go- I think you have to do what is right for you at funerals as well as provide support to others. Please do what is right for you at this time, don't follow convention and do things you'll wish you hadn't is what I am trying to say. OH has said at times the only good thing about his dad is he is dead. OH had a miserable childhood in many ways as well as adulthood so always unique circumstances lead to fallouts.

On the bathroom front, OH has fitted washbasin today, prior to siliconing in he tested drain for water tightness, once siliconed in, he has discovered the internal overflow is leaking so not sure if needs to be ripped out and replaced. He has spoken to supply co and they will send a replacement out today, but if he can fix with plumbers putty will be quicker, it will delay readiness of bathroom by at least a week if it has to come out as done in snatched times at evenings and weekends.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello, everyone. I've been out of town since last week, visiting my in-laws, and am just getting caught up. I have lots to say to everyone, but first, Ann, please accept my condolences on the death of your mother and I am sorry it's such a complicated circumstance. I will be thinking of you often (more often than usual!).

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
I happened to see that, in the US, the FDA has just approved a drug for Parkinson's psychosis. As far as I am aware, it's the first specifically for this.

FYI:

Nuplazid is First Drug Available for Parkinson’s Disease Psychosis
The FDA has approved Acadia’s once-daily Nuplazid (pimavanserin) tablets, the first atypical antipsychotic to treat hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson’s disease-linked psychosis (PDP). Nuplazid exhibits inverse agonist and antagonist activity at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors and to a lesser extent at serotonin 5-HT2C receptors. In a six-week study of 199 patients, Nuplazid was shown to be superior to placebo in decreasing the frequency and/or severity of hallucinations and delusions without worsening the primary motor symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. Nuplazid shows no measurable activity at dopaminergic receptors, but common side effects may include swelling (peripheral edema), nausea, and confusion.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Jm, I'm sorry that the bathroom looks as if it will not be ready for a while :( When are your visitors due (I think you said you were hoping it would be ready in time for a visit)?

Amy, I hope that your family were as well as they could be and that you are not too worn out by the travelling.

It's grey, damp and cool here today. Didn't spoil Mum's outing though - she downed hot chocolate with extra cream and marshmallows and a waffle with cream and maple syrup! No wonder she's not hungry in the evening :rolleyes: She's still finding it difficult to use her right wrist/hand, we have an appointment for physio a week today.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Evening all,

Slugsta, I hope that whatever help is on offer materialises soon, so you can at least have chance to sort out your Mum's meds, hun - I used to worry like mad, more about il taking too many pills (she had a trick of 'borrowing' the next nights sleeping tablet at one stage, which obviously led to all sorts of confusion) than I di about her missing the odd dose :(

R-Anne - a very bizarrer confabulation! Its still completely throws me when the tiniest bit of 'fact' (as in your OH flying in the RAF) can be built upon to create such fantastical tales. At the moment, a lot of Mils stories revolve around why she is in hospital (on the occasions when she accepts that she is in hospital, that is!) - she fell over chasing a lorry; the man with the stick knocked her legs from under her and left her unconcious; she fell over on the boat coming over - the 10 past 4 ferry, it was; She must have been allergic to that wasp-thing that stung her; he Doctor (naming an old GP who passed away many years ago) sent her in for a rest because she was exhausted looking after all the children. We can get several different 'reasons' for her admission in the space of an hours visit. I hope the medication changes are or will be worth all the stress and effort that they take, hun xxxx

Maureeen, yep, the stairs are Ok for a stair lift - we actually did a lot of research on this several months ago. We can alos have ceiling hoists fitted if needed. DC taking her - hmmmmmm, sort of yes, but almost certainly only a short term measure as they are not geared to EMI nursing, which is what the consultant, CPN and the like are saying she would need. No room downstairs - we are semi 'open-plan' with one room leading off another. If DC can't take her for day care, then there is one alternative in the area - but for a lot of reasons, its not an alternative that either OH or I are particularly keen on - however, we accept that if push comes to shove, then it might be the only option :( Mil has had 'social care' support staff before, so I assume that something similar would be on offer. And - if needed - there could be up to 4 carer visits a day. We think that if we get to that stage and she is still here, then we would have to pay (or rather Mil would) for extra visits in order to save my back. I have never heard of any sort of a sitting service being on offer :(

dotty, if she qualified for CHC then yep, I guess we could get more care in at home - however, CPN and Consultant, as well as at least 1 social worker and a 'senior' from adult services have all told me that getting CHC is so near to being impossible that its unlikely, despite the consultant and others backing the need, that she would get it :(

News about meeting. According to OH an almost complete about face on the part of the hospital. It seems that the gunmen and gangsta's (or something very similar) have caught up with Mil in hospital. The meeting today was all about how paranoid and distressed she gets. I guess they had to see it for themselves, our word and the word of DC evidently wasn't enough - but it seems that seeing it for themselves has finally got the message across. Its now 'No way' is she ready for discharge and they have at last started to do something with the meds. Its taken nearly 6 weeks and repeatedly being told (not just by us and DC, but hands on nurses from the ward) to convince them that we are right about diazepam, and they have finally stopped it. Memantine is now down to half its previous dose, and will be halved again before withdrawing completely - they are saying that already she is sleeping better, and that they think the memantine was possibly causing the issues before. Orlanzapine has also been massively decreased. Whislt the withdrawal hasn't helped with the behaviours, they are saying now that the way is clear to try other meds that might help - they named a medication that OH can't for the life of him remember - chlora-something? - an old med which used to be used to treat alcoholism but which sometimes works well fro dementia induced delusions and hallucinations? Anyway, they are trying that. It will be at least anothe 2 weeks till they consider discharge. They sent OH home with a bag of laundry that was absolutely stinking from urine soaked clothing, all piled in together, so I have no idea if it was the pj's or trousers. I have provided them with pull ups (though they insisted they had some on the ward for patients use) but I'll send in more tonight, along with the 2 new sets of PJ's and the nighty I've just bought her. So many of her things seem to have been lost :(

At least now I feel that they are actually doing something for her - I just wish it hadn't been such a stress filled, exhausting, miserable battle to get this far!

Hopefully some progress, but so much torment for MIL and you. So sorry..
As soon as Diazepam was stopped here husband slept better at night. Then we got something called mirtazepam, or similar, and things had seemed a bit better. But then the worrying started again in earnest...to see a grown man cowering in fear is something I wouldn't wish on anyone... But he still slept better at night. Day times have got worse and he clings to me like a toddler desperate for his mum. On Saturday he was intent on walking home if I wasnt willing to go with him( can't walk far with my arthritic legs), but he insisted he would wear his pyjama trousers. Got him into proper clothes but had to get the car out and drive about. Usually that works quite quickly, but that day I must have driven about fifty miles randomly before daring to stop for a cup of tea in a tea shop. Even there, he was the victim of a plot, the village were all out to get us, and we had to leave rapidly. At last I remembered a lovely old fashioned plant nursery in an old walled kitchen garden, and he relaxed.

After several different people chasing the CPN on our behalf, at last she's coming next week for an assessment..but if she really sees what he's like( and he can pull out all the stops to appear just a teeny bit confused in a sweet old man sort of way), what can she offer? I'm trying again to get him into some respite, but I bet it doesn't happen...the Care Home is dragging its feet, and who wouldn't? No one wants their calm Care home disrupted.And last night he was awake for hours again, begging to know what exactly was going on, and what had happened to him? Plus asking " where's Anne?" at intervals of about 30 seconds....for hours and hours.

Ann, I hope things improve for you.....sending a big hug.....

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Huge thanks to all of you for all your sympathy and kind wishes xxxx

R-Anne - mirtazepine had only a short term affect on Mil too - initially seeming to calm her, then slowly but surely, back to the delusions. Its a horrible merry-go-round, new medication, inital high hopes then the realisation that no, the new med has had limited sucess at best and you are back to square one . My heart breaks for you at the description of what you are both going through, I have fingers, toes and everything else crossed tightly, hoping that the CPN simply does her job properly, and gets you the help and respite that you so desperately need xxxx

Its all quite surreal here, at the moment. I have regret that the relationship I had with mum was as it was, but know that I honestly did my best for a lot of years before I had to give up. The hardest thing has been dealing with my siblings, my 3 sisters, who broke off all contact with Mum years before I did. After speaking to my step dad, I took on the job of telling 2 of them the news, though I flatly refused to deal with the so called Christian sister and strongly advised step dad not to go down that road either! Youngest sister was quite matter of fact and pragmatic, she too had sadness that she hadn't had a better relationship with her Mum, but was very clear that it was down to Mum that things were the way they were between them. She won't go to the funeral, and was very vocal about me not letting our brother or step dad 'guilt trip' me into going if I don't want too - she was very blunt, saying that I'd done my 'share' where Mum (and step dad and brother) were concerned, and that I owed none of them anything!

Telling the next sister was awful. Her response was basically 'Good Riddance' - not totally unexpected but still awfully disturbing to hear. Followed by an out-pouring of all the bitterness and anger she has towards Mum. Their relationship was always poor, even when my sister was a child and I always knew that Mum had especially targetted her, God knows I'd stepped in and been the buffer between them so many times - but I didn't know of all the incidents and unpleasantness that had happened, and hearing my sister basically rant about all that our Mum had put her through and done to her over the years, was horrific. That is playing on my mind more than anything else. It can't be glossed over, the way Mum treated her from when she was a small child was abusive, physically on occasion, but mostly mentally and emotionally. I'd resented my sister many times, for the way she just bowed out and (it felt) left me to be the one coping with Mum - now I have the full story, I am only surprised that she tried to maintain contact for as many years as she did. Like me, it was when our Mum started to aim her nastiness at my sisters children (again, something I didn't know the full story about) that my sister said enough. She told me that it was the 'best thing' she ever did, she wished she had done it a lot sooner and no - she won't go to the funeral, and whilst she appreciated me letting her know, actually, she would prefer never to hear about or talk about her mother ever again. In all honesty I can't blame her. I keep going over in my head what she said, upset that I had no idea about the extent of what she was put through, and oddly troubled by her firm statement that the only reason that I wasn't treated the same way was because Mum knew that she needed 'someone capable' on side, to run around after her and get things done. That echo's something the other sister said, when I spoke to her - they both seemed to think that Mum pulled the wool over my eyes in order to use me, and that it was quite calculated on her part. They both felt that when I was around, Mum very deliberately toned down her worst behaviour. I feel so stupid that I hadn't realised this for myself.

Then I had to break the news to Step-dad (who, despite him and Mum being separated, had remained her husband and stayed very close to her) that no, they would not come to the funeral. He was so sad, but said he understood the youngest sisters response as he knew that Mum hadn't 'been nice' to her after she made the decision to move a huge distance away. He said Mum had 'never forgiven' her for that. But he insisted, on and on, that he didn't understand why the second sister was so 'down' on her Mother. In the end, as he was (I felt) trying to push me into agreeing to persuade her to come to the funeral, I gave just one brief example of one of the things Mum had done (referred to my sisters son as 'the stupid one', in front of my sisters then quite young daughters - her son is severely autistic) and he sort of got it - though, as he always has, he excused the comment by saying that 'Oh - that's just what your Mum was like, Ann'. I was also quite shocked at his acceptance of why I had kept my distance - he was extremely aware that Mum had 'turned very unpleasant' with me - more so than she had ever been - and quite matter of factly told me that Mum was furiously angry that I had taken Mil in to my home to look after her. That she had not - and never would have, in his opinion - ever forgiven me for 'putting Mil before her'. That she had openly and repeatedly said that I should have put Mil in a home - not because, it seems, that she was concerned about it being too much for me, but simply because she felt that if I was to look after anyone, it should be her - not 'someone elses Mum'. She was basically jealous. I knew that she resented me looking after Mil, but step dad made it clear just how much. I got the impression that he feels that she left him, went to the lengths she did to try and persuade me that she had dementia, lied to me about her financial state and other illnesses, all to try and 'force' me to put Mil in a home and have Mum come to live with me instead. And when it didn't work, she started on my kids by way of a punishment.

I'm not taking responsibilty for her reaction to me having Mil come to live with us - even without Mil, I know that I would never, ever have allowed Mum to live with me and my family, because even if I was stupidly oblivious to the real extent of her behaviour, I saw enough to know that I couldn't and wouldn't have her live here. I've just been left feeling absolute pity for her sad life and the way that despite all her manipulations, she ended up with all but one of her 5 kids turning their backs on her, and that she had no one but herself to blame. If anything - and I dread to think how this sounds - I am relieved that she has died. She must have been so twisted and bitter, that I can only think that death has been a release for her. I also hope that now my sisters can move on and begin to come to terms with how she treated them - especially my second sister. Going over what she told me when I broke the news is the aspect that I have found more upsetting than anything else.

I'm going to the funeral, simply because my step dad has asked me to and so for his sake only - OH will come to support me, I've been very open with my kids and made it clear that its their choice as to whether or not they go. All of them are old enough that they had realised for themselves what their Gran was like, even my youngest. So far, all have said they will go, though like me, they are going out of respect and for the sake of Step dad, who they feel was more of a grandparent to them than my Mum was. I'm proud of them. We intend to leave as quickly as we can after the service though - alcohol played a big part in Mum's life, and Step dad and brother are also quite alcohol dependent - and neither of them are 'nice' drunks, once they have had a certain amount. From the sound of it, my brother, despite having had a triple by-pass 18 months ago, has been pretty much drunk since Mum died. I will not put me, OH or the kids at any risk of having to deal with what I feel will be almost certain 'fall out' once they have had a few down them, as (of course) it will be a case of 'all to the pub' after the service.

I rang the hospital and explained about Mum dying to the staff there - though obviously, no mention of how complicated the actual situation is - and said that we wouldn't be visiting Mil for a few days whilst things 'got sorted'. I need a few days of a break from Mil's issues at least, whilst I deal with Mum's death - I think the hospital understood, but in all honestly, don't much care if they dont!

Thanks again for all the support - at present I have no idea when the funeral is, just hope that its soon. I think the sooner that Mum is actually 'resting in peace', and my sisters can move on, the better. Dreadfully sad, but true.

Take care, all xxxx

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Ann, try to give yourself some me time during the next few days, you must be feeling quite emotionally battered at the moment xx.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hopefully some progress, but so much torment for MIL and you. So sorry..
As soon as Diazepam was stopped here husband slept better at night. Then we got something called mirtazepam, or similar, and things had seemed a bit better. But then the worrying started again in earnest...to see a grown man cowering in fear is something I wouldn't wish on anyone... But he still slept better at night. Day times have got worse and he clings to me like a toddler desperate for his mum. On Saturday he was intent on walking home if I wasnt willing to go with him( can't walk far with my arthritic legs), but he insisted he would wear his pyjama trousers. Got him into proper clothes but had to get the car out and drive about. Usually that works quite quickly, but that day I must have driven about fifty miles randomly before daring to stop for a cup of tea in a tea shop. Even there, he was the victim of a plot, the village were all out to get us, and we had to leave rapidly. At last I remembered a lovely old fashioned plant nursery in an old walled kitchen garden, and he relaxed.

After several different people chasing the CPN on our behalf, at last she's coming next week for an assessment..but if she really sees what he's like( and he can pull out all the stops to appear just a teeny bit confused in a sweet old man sort of way), what can she offer? I'm trying again to get him into some respite, but I bet it doesn't happen...the Care Home is dragging its feet, and who wouldn't? No one wants their calm Care home disrupted.And last night he was awake for hours again, begging to know what exactly was going on, and what had happened to him? Plus asking " where's Anne?" at intervals of about 30 seconds....for hours and hours.

Ann, I hope things improve for you.....sending a big hug.....
Good grief RA - you have just described exactly what my late husband was like back in 2011! It had been building up gradually for years, the increasing paranoia, the occasional hallucination but suddenly "exploded" into full blown psychosis. He would spend all night running around the house pushing the furniture up against the walls to bolster them, because "they" were in the attic sawing the roof off and were then going to push the walls in on us, among other things. One night he "saw" several fire engines & police cars with lights & sirens going out in our back garden, because there was a huge fight going on - but our neighbour (who is actually disabled) came and fought off the bad guys! William phoned him in the morning and thanked him, describing the whole scene to him!:eek: Evil men were, every night, torturing my daughter to death - pouring acid in her eyes. (not sure what he thought when, every morning, she bounced out of her room and went off to work!). We couldn't go outside the door, because evil children lived in the trees and screamed abuse at us and threw things. (yet, he worried about these children, and would take food out, because he was afraid no-one was feeding them, bless him!).Thankfully, William's GP was a friend of the Psych of Old Age Consultant and got him an emergency appointment - otherwise, we'd have been waiting months if not longer, with our Health Service in such a shambles over here! After several tries, he was finally, reluctantly, tried on Risperidone & trazadone, and we were lucky - it worked as if someone had flipped a switch and turned off the whole nightmare for him! And he was even more fortunate in that from then until he died (they tried a few times to reduce his dose, but the psychosis broke through immediately, so he was on it until he died last August), he never had any side effects from it.

So - I do hope your CPN can give you some hope. I know we were very lucky, and very lucky in that although our consultant is very much a "last resort" prescriber, when he deems it necessary, he will persist until he finds what will give the best quality of life for the PWD. Hope you can too.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm going to the funeral, simply because my step dad has asked me to and so for his sake only - OH will come to support me, I've been very open with my kids and made it clear that its their choice as to whether or not they go. All of them are old enough that they had realised for themselves what their Gran was like, even my youngest. So far, all have said they will go, though like me, they are going out of respect and for the sake of Step dad, who they feel was more of a grandparent to them than my Mum was. I'm proud of them.

Please please please make sure you are comfortable with your decision, with hindsight I wouldn't have gone to FILs, I think BIL wouldn't have gone either. I went out of 'duty' and I wasn't true to myself. It is your mum's funeral, not your step dads.

In our case on the 2nd anniversary of his death a vicar called round on MIL and asked her if she missed him and she said NO, which she related to us. FIL was not a nice person, and I'm not sure he 'missed out' as not sure he would have enjoyed any relationship anyway. MIL is the one that missed out, as in turn she lost touch with her children, as she chose (although I suspect she was so dominated emotionally by FIL she felt she had no choice) to let them be treated in this way. OH asked her why she did this and she said she'd have had to get divorced otherwise and that just wasn't acceptable behaviour, well in the 80s it was, she was a GP and could have been financially independent. She has sort of apologised to us, but due to living with FILs odd ways for years (47) she is very hard work and old fashioned (told dau off for wearing nail varnish, no TV, can't understand how I can go to work without a vest under my blouse - silly little things but creates general picture). She hasn't brought herself to say anything to BIL, who was very very hurt, not only by the losing contact but things from childhood, which I suspect we don't know in full, and OH has said she needs to apologise outright and she can't do it so no contact still.

Sorry, a bit of a story about me - but explains background or why no funeral.

I can sympathise with the alcohol situation, my dad's sister was a functioning alcoholic from when I was born until her death in my early 20s, and probably longer. She was very nasty to and jealous of my mum, as she had taken her brother away, and in our teens neither I or my brother would answer the phone, as she would go on and on criticising us and our parents if we picked up, and really upset us, I only found out about my brother at her funeral as I was at uni by then. We were criticised at her funeral for not looking after her, which may have led to my dad's suicide a few days later, only know what was said to my mum, not my dad. (Dad was we think undiagnosed bipolar and in a depressive phase at the time). There is not a lot you can do for an alcoholic who wants your full attention and nothing else will do and has behaved that way for over 20 years. My dad kept trying to support her through treatments at expensive drying out clinics, as he controlled his father's estate, but he never wound up the estate so he could do this with her money. Please don't put yourself in a place where others will criticise you for not doing the right thing for your mum and have the guilt monster over your head, when you probably did more for your mum than she deserved.

Please also don't let the guilt monster get at you for being taken in and not supporting your sisters, which from reading your words it sounds like you are feeling. People who behave like your mum, only see themselves in life and are very very manipulative, OHs dad was, and it sounds like your step dad was taken in to a large extent. You and your kids are the ones that are important in all this, not pleasing anyone else.

Feel like I've bared my soul above, I hope it helps you Ann. It is not just your sisters who need to feel able to 'move on' but you as well. Please think about you as well as others.

Glad you aren't visiting MIL for a few days, it will do her no harm, and may make hospital take more note of issues.

Sending you a big hug.

Slugsta, yep we are having visitors on 18 June, 3 adults, bathroom will be done, new basin arriving on Fri or Sat, but I need all chaos moved to straighten rest of house. Spare bedroom is full of bikes, I haven't even started thinking about where they are sleeping, son's birthday is the following week so we need to fit a party for him in on the Sat afternoon before they arrive that evening. JM definitely fits. I have meal plans going through my head, oh and the Sunday is father's day and should be breakfast in bed for OH so not sure when to do that (he won't be bothered but kids will).

I suspect your mum will need a lot of support to do the physio exercises, don't let her fob you off with having done them, but every time you visit if you can get her to show you what she has to do.

The North West has good weather, overcast now but due to be nice and sunny again later, has been proper summer temps for a week now - above average for May and early June, avoiding sunburn has been a big issue :D:D

Amy - I hope your weekend trip to FIL went as well as it could, I know it is very hard circumstances. Please update us when you are ready. That amount of travelling is tiring without the other issues.

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Huge thanks to all of you for all your sympathy and kind wishes xxxx

R-Anne - mirtazepine had only a short term affect on Mil too - initially seeming to calm her, then slowly but surely, back to the delusions. Its a horrible merry-go-round, new medication, inital high hopes then the realisation that no, the new med has had limited sucess at best and you are back to square one . My heart breaks for you at the description of what you are both going through, I have fingers, toes and everything else crossed tightly, hoping that the CPN simply does her job properly, and gets you the help and respite that you so desperately need xxxx

Its all quite surreal here, at the moment. I have regret that the relationship I had with mum was as it was, but know that I honestly did my best for a lot of years before I had to give up. The hardest thing has been dealing with my siblings, my 3 sisters, who broke off all contact with Mum years before I did. After speaking to my step dad, I took on the job of telling 2 of them the news, though I flatly refused to deal with the so called Christian sister and strongly advised step dad not to go down that road either! Youngest sister was quite matter of fact and pragmatic, she too had sadness that she hadn't had a better relationship with her Mum, but was very clear that it was down to Mum that things were the way they were between them. She won't go to the funeral, and was very vocal about me not letting our brother or step dad 'guilt trip' me into going if I don't want too - she was very blunt, saying that I'd done my 'share' where Mum (and step dad and brother) were concerned, and that I owed none of them anything!

Telling the next sister was awful. Her response was basically 'Good Riddance' - not totally unexpected but still awfully disturbing to hear. Followed by an out-pouring of all the bitterness and anger she has towards Mum. Their relationship was always poor, even when my sister was a child and I always knew that Mum had especially targetted her, God knows I'd stepped in and been the buffer between them so many times - but I didn't know of all the incidents and unpleasantness that had happened, and hearing my sister basically rant about all that our Mum had put her through and done to her over the years, was horrific. That is playing on my mind more than anything else. It can't be glossed over, the way Mum treated her from when she was a small child was abusive, physically on occasion, but mostly mentally and emotionally. I'd resented my sister many times, for the way she just bowed out and (it felt) left me to be the one coping with Mum - now I have the full story, I am only surprised that she tried to maintain contact for as many years as she did. Like me, it was when our Mum started to aim her nastiness at my sisters children (again, something I didn't know the full story about) that my sister said enough. She told me that it was the 'best thing' she ever did, she wished she had done it a lot sooner and no - she won't go to the funeral, and whilst she appreciated me letting her know, actually, she would prefer never to hear about or talk about her mother ever again. In all honesty I can't blame her. I keep going over in my head what she said, upset that I had no idea about the extent of what she was put through, and oddly troubled by her firm statement that the only reason that I wasn't treated the same way was because Mum knew that she needed 'someone capable' on side, to run around after her and get things done. That echo's something the other sister said, when I spoke to her - they both seemed to think that Mum pulled the wool over my eyes in order to use me, and that it was quite calculated on her part. They both felt that when I was around, Mum very deliberately toned down her worst behaviour. I feel so stupid that I hadn't realised this for myself.

Then I had to break the news to Step-dad (who, despite him and Mum being separated, had remained her husband and stayed very close to her) that no, they would not come to the funeral. He was so sad, but said he understood the youngest sisters response as he knew that Mum hadn't 'been nice' to her after she made the decision to move a huge distance away. He said Mum had 'never forgiven' her for that. But he insisted, on and on, that he didn't understand why the second sister was so 'down' on her Mother. In the end, as he was (I felt) trying to push me into agreeing to persuade her to come to the funeral, I gave just one brief example of one of the things Mum had done (referred to my sisters son as 'the stupid one', in front of my sisters then quite young daughters - her son is severely autistic) and he sort of got it - though, as he always has, he excused the comment by saying that 'Oh - that's just what your Mum was like, Ann'. I was also quite shocked at his acceptance of why I had kept my distance - he was extremely aware that Mum had 'turned very unpleasant' with me - more so than she had ever been - and quite matter of factly told me that Mum was furiously angry that I had taken Mil in to my home to look after her. That she had not - and never would have, in his opinion - ever forgiven me for 'putting Mil before her'. That she had openly and repeatedly said that I should have put Mil in a home - not because, it seems, that she was concerned about it being too much for me, but simply because she felt that if I was to look after anyone, it should be her - not 'someone elses Mum'. She was basically jealous. I knew that she resented me looking after Mil, but step dad made it clear just how much. I got the impression that he feels that she left him, went to the lengths she did to try and persuade me that she had dementia, lied to me about her financial state and other illnesses, all to try and 'force' me to put Mil in a home and have Mum come to live with me instead. And when it didn't work, she started on my kids by way of a punishment.

I'm not taking responsibilty for her reaction to me having Mil come to live with us - even without Mil, I know that I would never, ever have allowed Mum to live with me and my family, because even if I was stupidly oblivious to the real extent of her behaviour, I saw enough to know that I couldn't and wouldn't have her live here. I've just been left feeling absolute pity for her sad life and the way that despite all her manipulations, she ended up with all but one of her 5 kids turning their backs on her, and that she had no one but herself to blame. If anything - and I dread to think how this sounds - I am relieved that she has died. She must have been so twisted and bitter, that I can only think that death has been a release for her. I also hope that now my sisters can move on and begin to come to terms with how she treated them - especially my second sister. Going over what she told me when I broke the news is the aspect that I have found more upsetting than anything else.

I'm going to the funeral, simply because my step dad has asked me to and so for his sake only - OH will come to support me, I've been very open with my kids and made it clear that its their choice as to whether or not they go. All of them are old enough that they had realised for themselves what their Gran was like, even my youngest. So far, all have said they will go, though like me, they are going out of respect and for the sake of Step dad, who they feel was more of a grandparent to them than my Mum was. I'm proud of them. We intend to leave as quickly as we can after the service though - alcohol played a big part in Mum's life, and Step dad and brother are also quite alcohol dependent - and neither of them are 'nice' drunks, once they have had a certain amount. From the sound of it, my brother, despite having had a triple by-pass 18 months ago, has been pretty much drunk since Mum died. I will not put me, OH or the kids at any risk of having to deal with what I feel will be almost certain 'fall out' once they have had a few down them, as (of course) it will be a case of 'all to the pub' after the service.

I rang the hospital and explained about Mum dying to the staff there - though obviously, no mention of how complicated the actual situation is - and said that we wouldn't be visiting Mil for a few days whilst things 'got sorted'. I need a few days of a break from Mil's issues at least, whilst I deal with Mum's death - I think the hospital understood, but in all honestly, don't much care if they dont!

Thanks again for all the support - at present I have no idea when the funeral is, just hope that its soon. I think the sooner that Mum is actually 'resting in peace', and my sisters can move on, the better. Dreadfully sad, but true.

Take care, all xxxx

Oh Anne, what a terrible situation you have had to contend with re your mother, and then all the worry with Mil. You are a true saint in the way you have dealt with everything and if Mil was in her right mind I am sure she would feel the same. You are an absolute tower of strength to your whole family, and i wish you and them all the very best. You surely deserve it,

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Ann, well done to you for handling everything that is being thrown at you so well. Too much on your already overloaded plate at the moment:(

Love,

Lyn T XX

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Ann - just to echo JM and other 'think of yourself and what you want' counsel. You owe no responsibility to any of them except your own children, and you must do what you feel is right for you, whatever that may be. --My own family was mildly dysfunctional -- nothing as compared to what you and JM have had to cope with -- but even so my brother and half-sister have really needed to unload as firstly our 'joint' mother and then my brother's and my father have died. My other half-sibling - the eldest of us - committed suicide some years ago, unable to cope with life and its vicissitudes.
Anyway, one reason for my long process through 'grief' or whatever you want to call it over the past year is not just the whole dementia awfulness but also the discoveries I have made about my siblings' perspective and also while going through documents and papers. So what I am saying is: be very gentle on yourself for quite a while. You may find yourself waking up in the middle of the night thinking about it all, you may find yourself preoccupied by it all, and you really need the time to do this, without also being bombarded with stressful dementia-related stuff. It's been a difficult process for me and I didn't have the latter to deal with.
R-Anne - just also to say, did not want to leave your earlier post unremarked upon -- you are amazing.
Amy - hope FiL is okay.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Ann, I am so sorry to hear the whole, sad story. So very sorry.

I understand that you feel you must do, whatever you need to do, regarding the funeral, et cetera. Do what you have to do, but then get away, and then perhaps have something pleasant planned with Mr Mac and your lovely children. Perhaps somehow you can make something good, or at least okay, out of all of this.

I can't begin to imagine how distressing your conversations with your sisters and your stepdad were and worry you may suffer a lot of aftermath from those. The closest I can come is that some years ago (with my grandparents and great aunts and uncles being long dead), a relative felt the need to tell me some dreadful things they and another relative had suffered at the hands of some of those deceased relatives, both psychologically and physically, I am sorry to say. Given that the principal players were all deceased, as was anyone who might have had knowledge of it, there was no other family member to talk to about it, and nothing really to be done about it. However, the memory of that conversation, and the dawning horror of understanding what had happened, haunted me for years (this conversation took place 15 years ago or more) and in fact still does, and I would much rather have never heard those stories, to be honest. Sorry to take a tangent to talk about myself, but I wondered if perhaps you, Ann, might be feeling something similar (not that I am comparing myself to you or the situations to each other) about what your sister told you. It is a lot to take in and is certain to stir up a lot of emotions. I'm sorry.

If that's the case, then please do allow yourself time to process all of it and please do whatever you need to do, to cope with all of that. I think it's very difficult to cope with the fallout of abuse/neglect by a parent, since they are the ones meant to nurture and protect children. I would not be at all surprised, if you had a certain amount of "fallout" from it all.

I don't know if you need a therapist/counselor to talk to, or lots of trips to the zoo, or some quality time with your kids, or a good long holiday (well, I know you need that!), or a lot of pedicures, or binge watching something very silly, or many photos to edit, or what, but whatever it is that will help, please do it.

I know everything with MIL in hospital is not ideal, but she is in a safe place and being fed and looked after (not the way you would do it, I know) and stressing yourself out by visiting her right now is the last thing you need to do, so I think it's great you rang them to tell them you won't be in for a few days.

All this on top of MIL and your hip and Miss Mac's school issues and oh, Ann, I am so sorry. Many big hugs and warm wishes from this side of the Atlantic for you.

For everyone who's expressed kind thoughts about my FIL and our trip this past weekend, thank you all very, very much for your good thoughts and kind wishes. I appreciate it very much. To use a British English phrase, yes, I am still knackered (please tell me that means "tired" and not something rude!) from the trip but will come back with a proper update later, I promise. He is as well as he can be right now and our visit was a good one, but tiring. We got home late Tuesday evening and I spent most of yesterday trying to catch up with things around the house, and stuff for my mother, and have much more of that to do today, plus a meeting with the bank manager and I don't know what all else. But first I must deal with some of my mother's bills and a pressing issue about a missing payment to her care home, so I will be back later on.

Very warmest wishes to you all.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Ann, I am so sorry that the grief you are suffering over your Mother's death has absolutely nothing to do with her loss.
I had issues with my MIL, she accused me of having an affair when OH and I had only been married 3 years, but my Mother was nearly as bad..... she wanted to make me a ward of court to prevent me from marrying OH at all.
I remember saying to an aunt ( after my sister died) that they loved my older sister....she was their first born; and they loved my younger sister.....she was their baby......but why did they not love me? My aunt said she didn't know , but it was a bit obvious to all that this was the case.
Anyway enough about my silly thoughts.

If you do go to her funeral, be prepared for all sorts of emotions to come to the fore, and make sure that OH gets you back in the car and home for tea and cakes with your darling kids.

Absolutely none of the heartbreak caused by your Mother is your fault. None , nil, zero, zilch, nada or even niente....I think that may be the extent of my Not Guilty words....but there could be more out there. x.x.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I am still knackered (please tell me that means "tired" and not something rude!)

I think it depends where you come from Amy. :D

I grew up in the south of England where 'knackered' means 'ready for the knacker's yard', i.e. like an old workhorse that has exhausted its strength and is going to be sent for slaughter.

When I lived in the north of England I found out that to northerners 'knackers' means testicles :eek: so if you said you were 'knackered' it meant you were exhausted from bedroom activities! :eek:

Similarly, in the south if I was 'knocking around, or about, with' someone, it meant something like 'hanging out with'; just keeping regular company with your friends in an aimless and companionship fashion. In the north I found that I was announcing that someone was my lover! (They weren't).

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Amy, I'm from the sw and knackered is OK, just very very tired!

Ps, watching Springwatch Unsprung, I hope you are all following it and Springwatch. I live about 5 miles away, good coffee and cake at Minsmere.

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Katrine, see, that'll teach me to be careful with British English. I'd stick to American English but even that gets me in trouble sometimes. For example, some idiomatic American English words for "tired" include:

-wiped or wiped out (which doesn't have another meaning as far as I know, unless the subject is surfing)
-pooped (which obviously can also be, er, the past tense of a bodily function verb)
-beat
-bushed
-wasted (which is also very common slang for being intoxicated or under the influence of drugs)

I know it's all about context, but maybe I should just stick to plain old tired?

Forgive my muttering. I'm just plain tired and the day here isn't over yet!