1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    So I’m sitting here watching tv. I’m about 3’ from the open conservatory door, and the temperature out there is 29 C. I am shivering! Just put electric fire on!

It’s too early for bed (5:15), but I think I’d better find a blanket!

2. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Are you unwell Spamar? Shouldn't be shivering unless inside is hugely colder than outside!

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    No, Slugsta, I’m as well as I ever am these days. I was a bit cold the evening before as well. I don’t understand why, why is the reason I mentioned it. I wouldn’t like to tell you how many typos I made in three lines!

There’s been very heavy rain this morning, will have to dry the conservatory later. A bowl catching drips is not very elegant!
    I had all my windows checked on Monday, so am waiting for the estimate. I’ve got one cracked window and one broken hinge, plus a couple of leaks and many windows I find hard to shut properly. I thought it was my carpel tunnel wrists, but apparently as I’m close to the sea, it’s the sea air. Told him I’d lived much closer to the sea than I am now with no problems!

4. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Does anyone know if @Ann Mac is OK?
    She hasnt posted for a long time

5. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    She has been posting on facebook - although nothing dementia related but 'nice' things as is the nature of FB posts

Last post was a countdown to her holiday

6. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Thanks for the update Jm.

Spamar, glad that you are not poorly!

We have been so lucky here with the weather, we still have temps in the low 20s which are much more manageable (for me) than the very high temps we had earlier this summer.

7. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

Hi, I hope everyone is well.

We are going away tomorrow and I will not take my comp with me, so am turning off notifications until I get back (I am trying to avoid returning to find hundreds of emails waiting for me!).

8. jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    HI slugsta, good to hear from you, I hope you have a good holiday.

I'm still here - fairly busy - first school uniform buying, now uni essentials buying (laptop, kitchen stuff, ensuite stuff, cleaning stuff, food). Also cyclocross season started on 1 sept which makes life madness. We seem to always be fitting too much in

Yesterday I did a day trip to Cardiff, nearly 8 hours of driving. Son was fencing, so straight into a sports hall for 5 hours. He won a medal so all worth it.

Have things to sort out re mum (and post on here) but that takes time I haven't had.

I think Ann is now on holiday, when she is back I will message her and say we are all thinking of her.

9. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Yes was wondering what Ann was up to.

I’m also off for a few days tomorrow, Slugsta. Cousin visiting! However, the weather is looking good, so I live in hope! Might even get a paddle in the sea!
    I’m being picked up at 06:50. Not early, I’m nearly always up by then, but not ready or dressed. So worried I won’t get up early enough. Think I’d better find out how the alarm on the clock works!

Had to go out this morning as I suddenly remembered, in the middle of the night, it was step daus 50th, plus her wedding anniversary, next week! Had to get out of bed to check. And of all the cards I’ve got, nothing suitable! Typical.
    Oh well, the cold coffee was nice, the bacon sandwich even nicer.

The traffic! Loads of motorbikes (40?), couple of horses, quite a lot of bikes and more than expected cars. The fine weather is stirring everybody to get out!

Have a good break, Slugsta! Hoping the weather stays fine for you as well.
    Congrats to son, JM, glad he’s doing well. How is daughter going to fit her cyclocross with uni? But hope she settles in OK. 2nd step granddau simply loved her first year, and her summer ( Bali building underwater reefs). Putting her subaqua training to good use!

I’m feeling lots better, long may it last!

Regards to all.

10. jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Glad to hear you are feeling better Spamar.

Cyclocross will continue is the plan at the moment. First race is same day as she moves in, so race first and move in in evening, party later.

11. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    She’s going to be a busy girl! Granddau shared a room with an aspiring rower last year, and she was out on the water by 05:30 every day!

12. MollySW

MollySW New member

Aug 19, 2019
    My mum often has confabulations, including thinking she was in Hong Kong, no idea why. She was in hospital at the time and hasn't been eating much so I tried to get her to promise me she would have something to eat later to which she responded that she would try but that she didn't like Chinese food!
    Mostly she is happily confused but on the weekend she had reverted back to thinking the nursing home were poisoning/torturing her and was very distressed, crying and begging us to take her home :(

13. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Hi everybody, back home from a week of good weather. I’m absolutely shattered, so more tomorrow!

14. jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    glad you had good weather.

Life is so busy here. Fitting into an already busy schedule buying all the uni items required has added to it. Feeling a bit of empty nest syndrome, even though she will be home on and off for races.

15. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Well! I never expected to be in hospital, but here I am, getting institutionalised.
    Got back from holiday on Friday. awful journey, loads of traffic, several accidents.
    I managed to go without my iPad, so did a quick catch up. Decided to go to bed.Next thing I’m flighting things on the way to the floor! I thought I was in the bedroom, but no, it was the dressing room. For some reason I didn’t put the light on! Tried to crawl around to find something useful, like big chunky pillow. Couldn’t reach.
    Now I’m getting worried. I haven’t got a phone with me, I can’t stand. So decided to sleep it out. Unfortunately, the floor there was concrete, albeit with carpet on top.
    Stuck!
    And I stayed stuck until Sunday! Then my cousin phoned the police, got the neighbours phone number, and they came over, saying they were just about to come anyway cos they hadn’t seen me!

So no food, no water, no phone, no amenities! How do I get myself into these situation?

Anyway, neighbours swiftly followed by paramedics, who swiftly rushed me off to hospital.
    Still here!

Not sure I’m ticking all the boxes for being on the floor for a while, but kidneys are Ok. Still have problems walking though. Was I saying about a wheelchair? Seems urgent now!
    Paramedics are arranging for an alarm to wear. Never felt one was necessary before!
    Apparently the long coach journey before didn’t help.

And that was my weekend.

16. jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    So sorry to read you're in hospital. Easy enough when tired to make mistakes when tired.

Pendant sounds a sensible idea when you are on your own xxxx

Sending massive hugs xxxx

17. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Oh my goodness @Spamar :eek:

What an awful end to a holiday

Hopefully you can get back home soon

Gentle squishy hugs xxxx

18. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    Golly @Spamar, glad someone found you. Hope you are out of hospital and back home with a large pendant alarm soon.

19. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Soon. Just seen consultant, depends on how long it takes to sort a physiotherapist, generally in short supply around here, and how quickly I can do lying/standing BP OK. So 1-3 days, probably ( have you ever heard a doc commit totally?)

20. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    You might be home for tea today then

:eek: :D

More gentle hugs xx