So bizarre !

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, I'm glad the garden project is going well but sorry that you are in so much pain as a result (((hugs)))

I'm also glad that the HBM is keeping a low profile - although I understand how uncomfortable that makes you feel too!

No snow here and little likelihood of any. It is cooler than it has been and rained today (we haven't had much rain for a few weeks).

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

For the life of me, I couldn't remember if it was Thursday or Friday we had the snow, JM - can't have been nice getting caught in it while cycling!

Wasn't as bad snow wise, as forecast, yesterday. Just a couple of cm's, as the snow had alternated with sleet and hail. But the black ice was dreadful! Took me about 15 minutes (and a lot of salt and scraping) to get my car off the drive, then another 45 minutes to actually get out of the village I live in! It seems that a rather large 'hole' opened up in the road, at a quite busy junction. It looks like one car got damaged by it, and there was a delay whilst it was moved, then very very slow traffic as the cars in the queue behind tried to get out of the junction, without hitting the 'hole' - as it meant moving onto the wrong side of the road to avoid it, and there was plenty of on-coming traffic, it was a really slow process. Despite leaving extra early, I was 30 minutes late for my session, and had to stay longer to make up the time - so not the best starts to the day!

Some nice news though - one of my groups has been nominated for a big prize within their college, as a result of the work they have been doing on awareness raising and diversity with me. Really proud of them, and lovely to know that the sessions I've done with them have led to this :)

I've already logged 24 hours this week, so a short admin day today - lots to do, but after 4 hours - thats it! See how my aches and pains are, hoping to visit Mil once I've finished.

Have a good day everyone, and if you have the ice or snow, take care!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Pleased for you, Ann!

Frost today, nothing more! I’ve got a visit to dentist later, let’s hope the ice has gone!

Cheers everyone!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Today, our first snow! It’s looking very pretty, as the sun is now shining! But starting to melt. I have to go out tomorrow, so hoping there is no more until tomorrow pm!

Hope everybody is as well as they can be!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
No snow here, nor is there likely to be any :)

I woke yesterday morning to find that I have lost my voice, have had to miss choir this week :( The good thing is that I don't feel unwell, so it could be a lot worse.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
We had snow this morning, a light covering when I got up.

Son offered to clear car (he had told dau he was harvesting snow from the car). It started snowing heavily so as fast as he cleared the windows they were covered again so he gave up. Only snowed for about 15 mins. Drive in was pretty good, icy near mine but slushy when I got off motorway.

Hope your voice comes back soon, lots of hot drinks seem to help me.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So stupidity of the week.

OUr VW camper (which we really only use as a second vehicle most of the time, and can not be driven for weeks sometimes) seems to need a new battery. OH needed car for work yesterday, he thought van wouldn't start, and told me how to use mains charger, I carefully removed air filter cover to access battery, attached crocodile clips and plugged charger in. Went back an hour or so later to see if it would start and nothing. OH got home and realised I hadn't turned extension lead on at the mains switch.!!! Still please I managed to remove air filter cover and connect battery.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
LOL @ Jm! As Spamar says, it happens to us all at times.

We have snow! OK, not a lot but it is real snow, not just a heavy frost. OH has gone to do the shopping, I stayed at home in the warm!

Hope everyone is snug, warm and safe.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've just cleared snow (from Wed) off the windscreen of Big Red our current campervan (fiat ducato LWB) as it is needed for dau's race tomorrow and won't be easy to clear with a frost on top as well.

Was very icy for dau's walk to station after school last night but not so bad at this end when she walked from the station to home (1.5 miles), as temps had stayed low in the day so it hadn't melted and re frozen and was still snow. She'd taken trainers to school for the walk.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
dau won't be nice and warm and toasty when she races in what is likely to be a slushy field tomorrow

In other news son has been awarded extra time in external exams for now. He is doing an external English exam later in Feb, no idea what it is and has 25% extra time. I've fought so many battles for him it is such a relief it has been recognised.

At parents night we were told he'd got a low mark in a history test and he said he'd run out of time and not attempted a 6 mark Q, which turns 11 out of 20 into 11 out of 14 effectively a B into an A* based on % and normal grade boundaries. The history teacher wasn't aware he is entitled to extra time. So the ongoing communication with the school battle still exists.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
But I’m just sprawling here, she will be very active! One does wonder what these reachers do, reading about their pupils obviously isn’t one of them!

Just talked with Cornwall cousin. At least half the family either took hours to get home, or spent the night elsewhere!

Here, bits of rain, plus sun! No snow, no frost.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
The snow we have is what arrived on Wednesday morning, hasn't snowed since then and none forecast.

Dau is racing in Salford, so probably a bit more than here, but race should go ahead, they would grit icy sections but snow is OK for cyclocross. The world's 2 years ago were horrendously icy.

I will be in the house watching the worlds on the you tube channel - not sure if it can be recorded from the you tube channel when on tv, but I'll try. Women's elite race is live on eurosport - need to make sure I get correct times but think 2pm. Clashes with rugby but OH won't be home until 3.30.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Jm, I'm glad your son has now got the extra time he needs in exams. It seems that communication hasn't improved in the time since my son left school!

I'm afraid I haven't left the house today so have no idea what the snow is like beyond our patch of grass! :oops:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
There should be a SENCO that you communicate with.
Your son should have a legally binding EHC, you are entitled to see a copy of this.

https://www.gov.uk/children-with-special-educational-needs

I know what should happen, but he isn't bad enough in the grand scheme of things I suspect to have an EHC. He actually got this support via the gifted and talented programme as he is in the top 10% in his year - back to front I know.

I do have the name of someone who set up his typing and did tell me he was going to be assessed for extra time - but they don't communicate back to me, I have to chase.

I am also currently trying to speak to PE teacher that wasn't at parent's evening on Tuesday despite making an appt with them(options form has to be in by 8th Feb) and Art teacher as son 'forgot' to make an appt with her - actually didn't forget, doesn't like her, hasn't made any effort in Art this school year, knew it wouldn't be good, but has now decided he'd like to consider Art as one of his options.

So given deadline, as it has happened I'll let it go.

Frustrating the history teacher thought he just couldn't cope with the level of test he was set due to lack of internal communication.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi all,

Spamar, that fire looks so inviting - flipping freezing here! We got the snow on Wednesday - a light smattering in the early hours, but then about 3 hours of heavy snow later on. My project sessions for the day were cancelled - it wasn't too bad (apart from the black ice) where I live or in the town, but so many of the staff and young people I work with live in the higher, more rural villages and just couldn't get in! One teacher sent me pics from Llandegla, where she lives - the view from her window looked like a snow scene from Narnia! Since then, the highest temp has been 2 degree's, but that was only briefly - on Thursday, when OH took the doggys for a romp, at about 8a.m., the temp registered at minus 4 degree's, and it didn't get higher than minus 1 all day. If its been anything like that for you, Slugsta, I don't blame you for not leaving the house. I spent the week ploughing through admin - and for once, am up to date with emails, data base and reports and all the rest - well, I was on Thursday! Took Friday as my day off, so am not looking forward to seeing whats landed in my inbox on Monday!

JM, its infuriating that you have to do so much to ensure son gets the support he has been given, due to such awful communication. Having to chase up on teachers and support all the time is so time consuming and stressful :( I had a lot of that with my son, and youngest, after their diagnosis, and it continued with both until college stage, so you have a lot of sympathy from me xxx

OH and I went to see Mil on Thursday afternoon. Found her again in her room, with her 1-1, watching Mrs Brown. The carer with her isn't someone we have seen before, and whilst most of the carers there would give us a brief update, before leaving us with Mil, this one couldn't get out of the room quick enough - and she took the 1-1 notes, which I usually have a look at, so no idea why she was in her room rather than the lounge or sensory room. She seemed more or less chilled, but not particularly thrilled to see us. She barely acknowledge OH, and though I got a 'Come here', big smile and a sloppy kiss, after about 10 minutes she suddenly turned to me and asked, quite nastily, 'Don't you have a home to go to?'. OH and I swapped seats, so he was sat on her right side - she held his hand, but not much chat from her, and what we did get was largely unintelligible. No sign of the baby doll, or her fluffy dog - 'Tucker Bear', the teddy bought by the kids, was there, and she did cuddle and kiss him when I gave him to her, telling him she loved him - but after a few minutes she handed the ted to OH. After about 35 minutes, we decided to go - Mil was starting to doze - and we called the staff back in. Again, another new face (in the space of about 10 days, there seems to have been quite a staff change, as we saw very few familar faces about the home on our way in and out), and Mil suddenly annouced she was 'going home' with us - took quite a bit of persuading for us to be able to leave. Even the oft used love lie of us going to get her shopping was met by an angry 'NO!'.

Her breathing sounded a little worse to me, but not much - but she was very 'switched off' - none of the usual silly faces, tongue pulling or exaggerated exclamations, no 'playing to an audience', which has been the norm with her for quite a few months now. Just very flat and not at all interested in us. She was staring at the TV, but not really reacting to it at all. The biggest reaction/response was at us leaving, but that was more about her wanting to go home too, rather than her not wanting us to go, IYKWIM.

Hoping this weekend will see the end of the decorating for downstairs. The new curtains and lace net arrives on Monday (I decided against blinds, because Seamus and Luna do like to sit on the window, and I can see blinds getting ruined if they start to romp). I've bought a heavy Victorian lace net curtain, which I hope will go some way to blocking the doggy's view out of the window (and stop the excitement if anyone even looks like they are coming down the path!), but it also supposedly is made out of a material that will stop sun glare on the TV. The curtains are a darkish-grey, to match the scatter cushions, and the walls are to be painted a soft pale grey, which I think will compliment both the feature wall and the new sofa. Currently the other 3 walls are painted cream, and it doesn't quite work, it's OK but I'm sure the grey will be better. The painting will start today, and fingers crossed, we'll finish it today too!

Oh - I nearly forgot - turns out Luna is a BIG fan of the snow - she romps like a lamb in it, and takes some persuading to head for home after a walk - I got this pic of her, on her return after the haevyish snow on Thursday - I think she looks quite pleased with herself, lol. And it took 20 mins with a warm hairdryer to melt the clumped snow of her legs!

0G8A8989.jpg

Right - my turn on car pool to get my diva and her mates to theatre school, and I want to prep the front room beofre we go, so we can get stuck in as soon as I am back, so I need to move myself.

Sending much love to you all xxxx

Last edited: