So bizarre !

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Ann, any time you want to get rid of your OH, pass him over to me, please!

I’m expecting either a phone call or visit from a gp today. Cos I was late phoning, there was no queue! Bonus! I’ll let you know what happens! I don’t think I can go on in this state, and it’s not improving.
I had to explain why I couldn’t get to the surgery. Well, I don’t think it’s safe for me to drive!

Wasn’t Ryanair by any chance, Ann?

Carolyn, glad you are improving!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Morning all,

Ann, thanks for the update. I am so glad that you arrived safely, even though the journey sounds somewhat trying! This is the first time I have heard of airlines insisting that luggage must go in hold I know that many people travel with just hand luggage to save time and money. I guess the airlines decided they were not making enough money out of their passengers that way!

I hope that the warmth and relaxation combine to soothe some of your pain (((hugs))).

Carolyn, I get Red's daughter wishes we would take a turn with the dirty nappies! :D I really hope you soon feel better, it is extra hard caring for someone else when you feel rough yourself (((hugs))).

We have had some sunshine over the past couple of days, but the ground is waterlogged and the river levels very high (floodplains look like lakes). I don't think the kingfishers will be able to make their homes in the riverbank for some time yet :( Does anyone know where else they nest?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
A paramedic who works from the surgery, has just been. It’s apparently a chest infection that is localised to our area! He’s been kept busy by it all week. It should start getting better by Monday at latest. If not, then it’s bacterial, will take longer. He’s gone off to consult with gp. The fact that I live alone was also taken into consideration.
My first chest infection!

I’ll let you know the result when he phones back.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Allowed ABs, which I’ve got, but haven’t started yet, or even looked at what they are! Neighbour went down to pick them up for me.
Let’s hope they work!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm not caught up, but wanted to say, Spamar and Carolyn both, please feel better soon.

Ann, hope you are having a fabulous time!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
I'm not caught up, but wanted to say, Spamar and Carolyn both, please feel better soon.

Ann, hope you are having a fabulous time!

Oh THANK YOU to Amy and to everyone else who has sent good wishes. I’m sorry not to thank you all by name at this stage but I WILL do so when things are a bit better. Every message of sympathy, every hug, warmed my heart. I’m still so poorly and OH now has it which is another turn of the screw, especially as his understanding that I was ill left a LOT to be desired, even before he got sick himself. And he of course is suffering so much more! (Miaow!)

Spamar I am SO pleased you got medical help and a home visit, which you certainly needed, and I am very glad about the antibiotics. How are you feeling today?

I think the recent mention of kingfisher sightings was here? Kookaburras are members of that family. (Department of Useless Information: sorry all! I am a great one for trivia, particularly when out of sorts!)

Instead of photos I thought I’d contribute a couple of word pictures about these richly evocative birds:

Apologies for mistakes, I’m quoting from memory as usual, and as usual I will have rewritten the poems in my head unwittingly - is there no limit to my interfering bossiness? (No, possibly not.)

Hopkins:

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame:
... Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
Deals out that being indoors each one dwells,
Selves - goes itself - crying:
What I do is me, for that I came.

(Except I’m not sure any of us came to be PWD caretakers or indeed sufferers.)

Eliot:

After the kingfisher’s wing has answered light to light,
And is silent, the light is still.
At the still point of the turning world.

On a more mundane note, I tottered to the new, special, ready-made meals shop, which has saved my bacon these many months, when I’ve just not felt like cooking. But I may have reached saturation point, you know the way one does with too much restaurant food - let alone nosh, even if upper level nosh. Today, coming home in the car with my edible loot, it all smelled a bit odd, and I wonder if I’ve gone off it all. I’m hoping though that it’s my taste or sense of smell, messed up (not to use stronger language) by this virus and all its ways.

My other bit of trivia, and this is ALSO virus related, you’ll be thrilled to know, is that a friend caught EXACTLY THE SAME THING on a flight from Pisa to London that I got on a flight from Sydney to Perth TWO DAYS LATER!!!!!

I shall try everyone’s patience no longer but will write again - be warned! - in a few days, I hope, by which time I swear I shall have caught up with all the posts I missed with being away and the being viral.

Meanwhile love to all, goodness I adore this thread and all its posters. Plus new baby!

Carolyn. xxxxxx

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Actually, I feel worse today. I’ve spent most of it sleeping, or lying there, just trying to get motivated.
Whatever the paramedic said, it seems to be all over the place. Plenty of people in Cornwall had it. One of my friends there has had it and, like me, lost interest in food. Now she’s complaining that the weight has come off her back and bum, rather than her tummy, her preferred option!

Last edited:

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Carolyn, it was me talking about kingfishers. As it happens, I did know that they are related to your kookaburras, they are a very similar shape if you look at (pictures of) them side by side.

Spamar, I'm sorry you are feeling even worse :(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hoping it’s temporary. Tomorrow I shall be full of get up and go! Maybe! I had food today - a piece of bread and butter! Well, you’ve got to start somewhere!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Spamar, hope you feel better tomorrow - not had much chance to post and need to do a big update.

Son is fencing in Hendon, London tomorrow so 7 hours of driving but hoping to get some wifi and update things.

New avatar as no longer Easter I take it.

Carolyn hope you feel better soon as well.

I used to see kingfishers a lot when I canoed, very pretty. I saw a Jay today, I lifted it from a hedge as I cycled past.

I also saw very cute black and white lambs, one of the adult sheep was also black and white, well really white with large black spots.

Saw a poster up for a circus in the next week or so, but not sure I want to point out to kids as not my cup of tea and expensive for what they are - was it Slugsta not keen on circuses ?

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Carolyn, it was me talking about kingfishers. As it happens, I did know that they are related to your kookaburras, they are a very similar shape if you look at (pictures of) them side by side.

Spamar, I'm sorry you are feeling even worse :(

Yes Slugsta of course it was you. Sorry.

I’ve never seen a kingfisher. I’ve always wanted to. Here we have I think the Sacred Kingfisher. I must look up my bird book. I’m always focused on parrots, noisy and naughty. And I don’t think we have kingfishers in WA at all.

Spamar I am so sorry you are worse. Here it’s like a plague house. The temptation to paint a cross on the front door and run like the wind is pretty strong.

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Dear Ones, Can I book a place for my SIL too? She never calls me, only my OH - her brother - who has dementia. Says he is fine on phone, what am I worried about? I call her periodically to bring her up to date. No joy. This time she said, Well, you don’t know what’s wrong with him, do you? Yes I do , I said firmly, he was diagnosed a year ago with FTD. ... But you have no reason to think he’ll get worse, do you? Yes, I do, I said firmly again, the likely outcome is catastrophic. Silence from her. Except that the two of them are planning, at her instigation, six weeks in Sicily together!
Hey @carolynp. We have commiserated together before with your SIL and my step daughter. I am supposed to be on the road to separating myself from her. I thought she would be my copilot but she ended up being my turbulence! Last weekend she texted him "How was your weekend?" His answer, "Fine." If she really wanted to know, she would have contacted me. And the instigation!!!! She's behind convincing him that he will get better with 2 weeks in a rehab hospital 2 hours away from our home. Today I thought of this analogy: I need a spouse (I've been a single mom of 3 boys for a long time before so I've felt that need before) to help with my OH and instead she is the very lenient grandmother who is doing more harm than good. I succumbed to calling her before she came to visit Thursday. I asked her to convince her dad that an overnight trip out of town to my son's would be a good thing. The alternatives were 1) I couldn't go 2) he would have a sitter and 3) go stay with her. I also told her to tell him he was going to be getting the emergency button around his neck this week. Why would I leave these things to her to tell him? Because he does and believes whatever she says. In his eyes she is the only one who cares about him. So, when I got home from work, he agreed to go to my son's. However, I am now convinced it was his decision. He wrote her a text that said where he was and she wrote back, "Uh-oh, guess you didn't get to stay by yourself." She wants him to have whatever he wants no matter what. And, he did receive the emergency button and I asked him if his daughter had mentioned it to him. Shocked look. Nope, she never mentioned it. So, I am done. I have no need to discuss anything with her. I had noticed when I was discussing these things with her on the phone she was quiet. Guess she didn't agree with what I was asking of her. No worries. I'll never ask again.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi JM, how did son get on yesterday? Yes, it is a long way!
No longer Easter, you’re right. This is a bad picture of a lathyrus (pea) that should be flowering now. It’s about 6” tall, will grow in shade. It’ll then die away and come up next year. One of my favourites.

I’ve seen kingfishers when we were on the Broads. The only way to get pix of the Broads is to be on them! this kingfisher thought it would like to join us, but too quick for a decent photo.
I think it was last winter, there was a jay in the garden, near the feeders. What a thrill!

I’m feeling a tad better. The ABs must be kicking in! Certainly should by tomorrow. Now I’ve got to eat more and get some energy back! Meanwhile lost 15 lb this week! I will point out it’s easier when you’re my size ( morbidly obese, still!).

Rained earlier, now very misty.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Good Morning everyone.

Spamar, glad to read that the AB's seem to be starting to work. You poor thing, to have this on top of shingles! Sending lots of get well hugs xxxx

Carolynp, I also hope that you are starting to feel better too - having struggled trying to manage caring whilst unwell myself in the past, I really feel for you - and if your OH is now poorly too, then its an absolute nightmare. Easy to say, hard to do, but please try and lok after yourself as much as you can, hun xxxx

Re Kingfishes, Slugsta - now, they are on my 'want to photograph' wish list, and have been for a long time. I've seen quite a few, on the Dee and on the Alyn rivers - but have I ever managed to get a decent shot - have I thump! Such beautiful birds - but also extremely fast!

{{{{{hugs}}}}} Imsoblue x I am so glad that I have never had to deal with useless relatives whilst I was caring for Mil. Caring for a pwd is so hard, in every single aspect - to have a relative that hinders, rather than helps, is adding massive insult to inury - I am always blown away by how so many carers have to cope with that situation, and simply can't understand why most of you haven't resorted to murdering the 'invisible' , after some of the accounts I've read xxx

JM - hope the run to London was hassle free - a long way to travel! How did your son do?

As you can see, I am back home, safe and sound. The holiday was wonderful - hotel excellent, and plenty of fabulous places to explore and photograph. Carolynp, beautiful green parots everywhere, with a vibrant blue stripe down their wings, and very noisy (and sometimes) cheeky too! Will add a couple of pics of them at the end :) Had a fantastic day on Ronda, and the other days were spent wondering around the local coast, admiring the views, enjoying the heat (lowest temp was about 20c, though there was a little bit of rain on the day we flew home) and people watching. Lots of very chic and smart ladies and gentlemen - but also lots of people with very - er - individual styles too. As OH and I frequently said to each other - "Well, its a 'style', I guess!" Favourite sight was a lady, dressed in skin tight leather leggings, leather jacket and scarf, amazing make up (her eyebrows!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!), immaculately styled blond hair and heels that made my feet ache just looking at them. She was pushing a double buggy (Stroller, for Amy :) ) - which held two dogs!

Journey home was an absolute nightmare, though, and I am still feeling very tired and sore as a result. Having made our way through security and to the gate, OH received a text alert telling us there was a 50 minute delay. OK - that's par for the course, and happens sometimes. Annoying, but there you go. The new time came and went, no one on duty at the gate still, and eventually a text alert to tell us that the flight - which was supposed to leave at 9.30, would now be leaving at 11.10. No announcements over the tannoy, no updates on the boards, which were still giving the info that the flight would be boarding at 10.08. So - we waited. At 11.00, they let a trickle of people through the gates - but then stopped. No info given as to why. The two staff on the gates were busy going up and down and adding luggage tags to hand luggage - anything bigger than the average handbag now had to go in the hold we were told, not just the cabin cases, which was the situation on the way out. A young Mum was arguing that the 'baby bag' she was carrying, with supplies for the gorgeously chunky 14 or 15 month old child she had with her, could NOT go in the hold, as she needed it for her baby. They eventually let her keep it. We finally got on the plane at just after 11.30. Sat at the front, I watched a man trying to assist his disabled companion, who was using a wheelchair, onto the plane - one of the crew asked him where the 'assistance' was? The chap replied that they had booked it - but no one had turned up. He had to leave the chair at the door, and half carry the young man he was with to his seat. Once everyone was sat down, the Captain then announced that we wouldn't be leaving for another hour and a half. I will leave you to imagine to gasps of horror and outrage. The plane was cramped, with seats so narrow that it was like playing a game of sardines - the extra leg room we had paid for didn't count for a whole lot when once you were sitting, you were so squashed by the seats that getting comfortable was impossible. It was also incredibly hot on there, and the crew could/would only supply us with tap water - no ice, they had run out. No food, no other drink. Very quickly, I was in a lot of pain. I'm the 'average British woman' size (according to what I've read) so not a skinny minnie - but I'm not that huge either, and the seat digging into my hips, and the being forced to sit with your arms more of less pinned to your side, had set off my shoulders, hips, back and neck aching badly. Pain killers (which this time I had managed to remember to put into my camera bag) didn't do anything much. Then the 'restless legs' started - the poor guy to my right must have been driven mad by me twitching and jerking, and I felt dreadful. They eventually opened the door, so that if people wanted, they could stand just outside on the boarding tunnel, which was at least a little cooler. It turned out that the delay was due to an air traffic controllers strike in France - it also turned out that they KNEW we couldn't leave for another hour and a half before they started boarding us. When I asked why, in that case, they had put us on the plane, the explanation given was more or less that it would make things 'easier' for them if they had us all in one place! The young Mum, who also had a little girl of about 3 with her, carried her now screaming baby out to the area outside the door. The poor little one was so distressed - tired, hot and when the Captain appeared at the door, and the poor mum begged that he allow her to take the short walk to the departure lounge, so that the child could stretch out on the setas there and rest, he told her that no, she couldn't - she argued, and he told her that if she went, he wouldn't allow her back on the plane. She asked could she at least have the childs buggy, so he could rest in that?. No, he said, she couldn't. His attitude stank. I was stood outside, witnessing all this. The mum burst into tears and he walked away, so I went and gave her a hug and asked if I could do anything to help? But, there really wasn't anything - baby was too distresed to settle with a stranger, and I culd have cried for the Mum, who was a tiny thing, and the baby was clearly so heavy for her.

Eventually, we were called back to our seats, and the plane took off at 1a.m., Spainish time. After landing, at just before 3 a.m, UK time, we then had to wait at the carousel for our supposed 'hand luggage', before tackling a drive home, through long patches of an absolute pea-souper fog, finally getting home just after 5a.m.

The delay wasn't the airlines fault. But the way they treated everyone was. No need to load us all on the plane and make us wait for another 90 minutes. Talking to one of the cabin crew, she more or less admitted that it was a case of we were loaded on to 'get that job out of the way' (to be fair, she was really fed up on our behalf and she also gave me a bit on an insight into how badly that company - Spamar had it right, btw - treat their staff). The lack of air con, the lack of cold drinks, the cramped conditions - to have to endure that for 90 minutes, for no good reason, was completely out of order. We will be claiming back the cost of the flights, and I'll be adding an email with a few choice comments too. And I will NEVER, EVER use that company again.

And breath, Ann!

I got about 4 hours sleep when we got home, in too much pain for more, and crawled through yesterday in a bit of a fog, though we made the effort to go out for a short run to Llangolen with oldest and her BF in the afternoon. Today - well, this mornig, I have to go and see Mil, and top up her funds, OH is working, but we are planning a meal out tonight, before Dau has to head home tomorrow. At some stage, I want to start sorting the photographs - I discovered that this new camera is probably my favourite camera - ever - and I can't wait to really get stuck in and see what I have captured :) Back to work tomorrow, until then, work phone and laptop are not being switched on at all.

To finish - two shots of one of the cheeky parrots :)

View media item 54947
View media item 54946
Hope you all have a good day xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh Ann! So glad you had a good holiday, even if the end was terrible. And there’s a good reason not to travel with that particular company!
Pix, lovely!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Hey @carolynp. We have commiserated together before with your SIL and my step daughter. I am supposed to be on the road to separating myself from her. I thought she would be my copilot but she ended up being my turbulence! Last weekend she texted him "How was your weekend?" His answer, "Fine." If she really wanted to know, she would have contacted me. And the instigation!!!! She's behind convincing him that he will get better with 2 weeks in a rehab hospital 2 hours away from our home. Today I thought of this analogy: I need a spouse (I've been a single mom of 3 boys for a long time before so I've felt that need before) to help with my OH and instead she is the very lenient grandmother who is doing more harm than good. I succumbed to calling her before she came to visit Thursday. I asked her to convince her dad that an overnight trip out of town to my son's would be a good thing. The alternatives were 1) I couldn't go 2) he would have a sitter and 3) go stay with her. I also told her to tell him he was going to be getting the emergency button around his neck this week. Why would I leave these things to her to tell him? Because he does and believes whatever she says. In his eyes she is the only one who cares about him. So, when I got home from work, he agreed to go to my son's. However, I am now convinced it was his decision. He wrote her a text that said where he was and she wrote back, "Uh-oh, guess you didn't get to stay by yourself." She wants him to have whatever he wants no matter what. And, he did receive the emergency button and I asked him if his daughter had mentioned it to him. Shocked look. Nope, she never mentioned it. So, I am done. I have no need to discuss anything with her. I had noticed when I was discussing these things with her on the phone she was quiet. Guess she didn't agree with what I was asking of her. No worries. I'll never ask again.

Hello @imsoblue thanks for commiserating with me but your situation sounds so much worse! My SIL takes pains to circumvent me, ringing OH when he’s in his “office” and only ever calling me when he doesn’t answer and she’s worried about him! THEN I get phoned!

But - and it’s a big but - she lives on the other side of the country and now has major health problems herself, so although the way they treat me (when they are operating as a double act) still drives me mad, for the most part these days I consider myself the boss, whether they like it or not.

One helpful thing I read was that the carer is the one in charge - other family members can advise but they CANNOT decide. This I have found a useful support. With my SIL I only recently realised that, Hello?! Her loyalty is not primarily to me. Her loyalty, despite everything, is to her brother, then her family and friends, then at the bottom of the heap - possibly - there are my legs sticking out from underneath, like the witch at the end of the Wizard of Oz with her red and white striped hose.

Hence I have found, as you are finding, that whether or not my SIL acts on anything I’ve said has nothing to do with me, or with helping me (heaven forbid!) and everything to do with her own best interests.

I do not consider your stepdaughter to be acting in her father’s best interests at all, not even as she might conceive them to be. Instead she is thinking only of herself, and giving herself the least amount of bother, while preserving her relationship with her father at whatever cost to you. How dare she send him that text?! Gosh I am so incensed!

I wonder, too, if she actually knows how preposterous her rehab hospital bright idea is, and makes the suggestion knowing she won’t have to pitch in by having him nearby for his “cure”. Instead she can say to anyone who’ll listen that she has done all she can, secure in the knowledge that nothing will come of it.

I am really angry on your behalf. You have so much to deal with. Hugs from me. xxxx

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Welcome back Ann! And thanks for the gorgeous photos of my parrots’ Spanish cousins! I can tell they must be related by the mischievous looks!

The sorry saga of your return flight notwithstanding, up to that point your message sounded SO bright and breezy that I could tell the holiday had done you the world of good! I’m so sorry about the pain from the cramped conditions. Even flying in comfort I get terrible aches in my legs.

Thanks again for wonderful, cheery account (except for plane!). I’m still smiling! Welcome back. xxxxx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R