1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Wishing you all the best with starting your new job tomorrow xxx.

2. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    AnnMac - pull on those big brave knickers tomorrow, forget everyone else at home, and have a good informative time :)

Personally, I like the Mallen streak look.... Tho it has been known to look a bit Lilly Savage look in my case :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

3. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    2jays, never!!!!

4. Grace L

Grace L Registered User

Jun 14, 2014
    NW UK
    GGGrrr.... had a message, and it got timed out !!

Good luck from me too Ann xxx

5. Grace L

Grace L Registered User

Jun 14, 2014
    NW UK
    Spamar....
    When I left the hospital the physios knew my sister was at home, so would not be alone if I needed help.

I had my op on Monday 22nd, and was discharged on the Friday....
    I think the plan was to have someone visit me at home after the Bank Holiday Weekend.
    The Community Physios are reallllly stretched. They have someone off long term sick, and others were on holiday. It is/ was just a matter of waiting.

I'm doing well, and I feel much better today, having slept for the first time.
    Its a lovely day here, I would love to go for a proper walk.
    I've been outside (before it gets too hot) and tried a little walking in the garden.
    I'm not used to walking slow, I need to get used to that.

Yes, I am still planning on moving. Family in laws will be in for another shock !!

I'll leave it there ... don't want to get timed out again... xxx

6. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    #6066 jugglingmum, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Good luck in your new job Ann, and hope that others keep on top of housework whilst your away, I know here before kids OH cooked and didn't even wash up when I was away for 3 days with work, a week and he did. Now washing up would be done and dau would likely keep the washing machine running.

Outside chance we will go to the zoo this afternoon.

Grace - glad to hear from you, sorry to hear of SILs and BIL shenanigans, at least SIL went to visit. I love you saying to contact you after Christmas. As soon as you do visit MIL they will get wind of it. And your sister being there did emphasise the fact that you were incapable of doing anything. Hope knee is progressing well, do as many of the physio exercises you've been given as you can cope with the pain is what I've heard from friends who've been keen to get back to cycling etc.

Son did well in his cross country, they had 6 classes out of 10 in his year doing PE at the same time and he came 2nd, but was using his inhaler during the run so I need to get him back to asthma nurse.

Myself OH and son did our first cyclocross race of the season, boy does 40 minutes of intense effort leave you in agony afterwards. I did better than I hoped in the race, but I am heavier than last year and so desperately need to lose some weight, I look awful in the photos, diet started last night.

Ann - I don't know how you fit all the extra washing in, I struggle to keep up with 4 of us, although cycling kit, and we all got smoked out with wood on BBq afterwards adds to the load.

Edit to add: I always copy my post before submitting it if I think I am going to get timed out - I know others type it up in word and then copy across.

Glad you've been outside Grace, - I can imagine walking slowly doesn't come easy, the family kept getting cross with me for walking too fast on holiday, but I am always rushing for trains etc so do it all the time.

7. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Just a note to say I put a thread called Musings on the tea room. Please read! It's all about OH.

8. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    New Job

Wishing you Good Luck for tomorrow...... you'll nail it ( as my daughter would say!!) x.x.

9. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Don't know if this will work but a link to me in pain on the first lap of the cyclocross race yesterday.

https://flic.kr/p/L8yWMk

I'll have a look at your musings thread Spamar

10. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    I was never a fast walker, but I could keep going all day if necessary. I wish I could now!!
    You'll get up to speed, Grace. Don't over do it, but keep trying! The early days are the crucial ones, as tissues take a while to heal.

Well, there was only the two of us, but I know all about mud! Spent many years on salt marshes! And shingle, but they're not muddy. My problem is I can't put wet towels and sheets on the washing line, too heavy for my arthritic shoulders. So very glad I've got a conservatory ( too big to go in airing cupboard ).
    I always work on iPad, on app, but have never got timed out. And I spend ages doing some posts. Probably will tomorrow!

Very warm here, will stay indoors!
    Keep well, everybody.

11. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    JM, that's pain - and determination!

12. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Spamar... Just wondering why you would want to put the conservatory in the airing cupboard

:eek: skim reading again :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

13. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Would cut the heating bills though!

14. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
    And I (very uncharitably) thought Spamar was saying SHE was too big for the airing cupboard!

15. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Nice to see an update from Grace! Grace, sending pain-free wishes for your knee and hope you are able to rest and recover and have more nights of good sleep. I agree that I would NOT promise anything to the awful in-laws and NOT give them any hints of your move. You can tell them you've moved after it's done and dusted!

Ann, best wishes for your trip for work and I am sure it will go well. Sorry about the washing, ugh.

I still don't have a date for my mother's move but it's likely to be on a Wednesday and not likely to be this week, so probably not before 21 September. One hopes. We have sorted out some of what will be needed for her new room, so making progress there. I'm not feeling great about this but I have no control.

JM, sorry your son is having trouble with his asthma and hope you can get it sorted out. I haven't tried your link yet but will give it a shot. I was at the doctor's on Friday and didn't like the number on the scale very much (I've gained weight/lost fitness since all this started with my mother, surprise, surprise) so I hear your unhappiness there. But it's good to hear you did better than you expected in the race.

Hope all is as well with the back-to-school stuff as it can be. Ann, I did see your earlier post about the school meeting which sounded frustrating as all get out, ugh.

Spamar, I will have a look at your new thread.

Apologies to anyone I've left out, no slight intended.

We've had uncomfortable heat here for most of the past few weeks but a big storm came through last night and it's much cooler today, and lovely sunshine and blue skies, so am hoping for a walk today (as it's still morning where I am). Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

Ann, we'll all be thinking of you tomorrow!

16. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Lovely to be able to catch up with all your news.
    Good luck, Ann - not that you'll need it. This job feels as if it's tailor-made for you. On the washing front, I'd be tempted to let a 'crisis' develop that they have to sort out - short term pain for the long term gain of them putting MiL in pull-ups, is what I'm thinking. & I'd return the other people's clothes to them unwashed, because that might concentrate their minds a treat, too. But you're much nicer than me, I know.
    JM - great to hear your son did so well, and thanks for the pic link -- definitely determination there. I'm starting a diet, too, and back to Pilates this week - want to drop about five pounds and just not feel so flabby so hugely empathise while also feeling you don't need to worry.
    Grace - cheering you on. Spamar - will find your thread later when have a mo. Amy - fingers crossed for the move.
    We've just come back from North Norfolk - the dog's holiday - much walking on Wells/Holkham beach with her, ignoring Saturday's rain. It was gorgeous but I still find it quite hard to realise that life can be like this, full of pleasure and variation, that it isn't just work and worry!! :roll eyes: We bumped into an old friend of my OH's on the beach by complete chance: she has also been through a few years of dementia hell apparently with her mother. She found an excellent solution somehow or other - people who moved in and traded their rent-free room for helping her father. He was delighted with the arrangement. But then the mother started throwing cups of hot coffee over the carers so it all got fraught again. In the end, he died before she did. :(
    Wet-room refurb starts tomorrow. Was let down by two companies over delivery of a shower tray and was stressing about cancelling contractors - one of those stupid waking-up stresses over nothing you were talking about, Ann. Then a man called Dan from Screwfix found the last slate-effect shower tray in the country at the right size, hired a courier and got it to me within an hour because I'd told him we were due to leave on our Norfolk jaunt. What a hero! The refurb is really to make my life easier as it's taking me at least an hour a week to clean the present travertine which attracts mould like Taylor Swift attracts commitment-phobic men. :)

17. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    RedLou, your Taylor Swift-travertine similie made me laugh out loud! Thank you!

The world could use more people like Dan. Hooray for nice people and shower trays! (I now have to go and Google shower trays. Oh, it's the floor of the shower? That's a very big deal so three cheers for Dan!)

18. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Red, to shower tray. I thought wet rooms had tiles on the floor, showers had shower trays??!!

19. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    The wetroom shower tray is fitted below floor level. It has the waste trap in it, which is connected to the waste water pipe. Then tiles or wetroom flooring is fixed on top to make the surface that you stand on look as if there's just a small hole in the floor.

20. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Thanks, Katrine. All the wet rooms I have seen have integral tiling with floor.