1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Funny you should say that about building up credits for the next incarnation..... I think, sometimes, when things are not going well, that I must have been really awful in my last incarnation :)

Sorry to hear that things are not too good at the moment RAnne

Have a hug xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    Oh R-Anne - you are amazing. Never forget, you are amazing.

--Isn't it good not to hear from Ann? :) It's so cheering to know she's NOT having to run herself ragged after MiL for a few days.

3. Roses40

Roses40 Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    manchester
    I'm so glad you are having a break at last Ann Mac. Is anyone else feeling as if they are having withdrawal symptoms?

4. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Ann, in the nicest possible way I hope we do not hear from you until the end of the week, have a lovely break xxx.

5. IzzyJ

IzzyJ Registered User

Aug 23, 2015
    Cotswolds
    Likewise very glad that Ann is NOT here, even though I really miss my daily shot of her posts, always uplifting and so, so empathetic.

Loads of hugs for everyone else, especially Grace (hang in there lady, keep that strength going), and for RaggedyAnne, in the tough times that come too often.

6. Mich09

Mich09 Registered User

Jan 13, 2016
    Ive never added to this thread. But its the first thing I read every morning. The way that AnnMac deals with her MIL is amazing. I care for my MIL who is in the later stages of dementia and i find it very hard to keep going at times. It's probably a bit easier for me though because my MIL is virtually bed bound and I have a carer come in 3 times per day whilst I'm at work, so I only have to be her carer at night and my days off.

7. Amy in the US

Amy in the US Registered User

Feb 28, 2015
    USA
    Another person here who reads this every day, and hopes, for Ann's sake, that we don't hear from her.

Hope all the rest of the regulars are as well as possible. Grace, stay firm with those in-laws, and feel better wishes to all with the lurgy going around (I had the US version and it was awful, I still don't feel completely recovered).

8. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

(((RAnne))) sorry that things are so hard for you :(

Roses, yes, I know what you mean about 'withdrawal symptoms'! Ann has such a lovely way with words, I really enjoy my daily 'fix' here.

Mich09, you only have to be a carer at night and on your days off? You lazy thing! :D From what I can gather, that still means that you are on duty pretty much 24/7 (((hugs)))

Managed to go out for lunch with hubs today. Just 1km up the road to the local steakhouse but it was lovely to get out. It was also lovely to come home and get to bed again :)

9. tigerlady

tigerlady Registered User

Nov 29, 2015
    I read this every day too, and have never posted here before, but I am so full of admiration for Ann Mac. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms already from her posts, but I truly hope she is having a much deserved rest.

Much love to you Ann xxx

10. Rageddy Anne

Rageddy Anne Registered User

Feb 21, 2013
    Cotswolds
    No word from Ann, hope she's being pampered, and also Mr Mac.
    Gloomy here, and chilly, but later on I hope I'll be " off duty" for a day and a night. Will go and camp in sons new flat, no TV yet...how basic is that? But it's warm.

Hope everyone is warm and not too stressed out today....hugs.....

11. IzzyJ

IzzyJ Registered User

Aug 23, 2015
    Cotswolds
    Off duty, and actually out of the house, Raggedy Anne? That sounds so good, I hope you manage some proper down time for yourself.

Isn't it lovely how many of us read Ann Mac every day, whether we post or not? This thread needs to be put into book format, to reach a wider audience. One day....when she has time.....

Love to everyone

12. Grace L

Grace L Registered User

Jun 14, 2014
    NW UK
    Morning everyone...

I agree IzzyJ, this thread should be read by a much wider audience.
    I'd love to see a a film / or drama / documentary on TV ... showing the real Alz/VaD.
    There must be someone on here (TP) who has contacts , connections with TV production company.

I'd like to write a book one day about my life. Some of it has been very interesting.
    Think my in laws would be horrified if I 'went to print' and got to the bit about my late husband (VaD),
    and MiL (Alz). They like to keep 'things like this hidden'.... God help them if they one day get Alz.

Thanks IzzyJ and Amy... I'm staying strong , thank you ... x

AnnM.. I hope you are all having a lovely break ... x

13. CeliaW

CeliaW Registered User

Jan 29, 2009
    Hampshire
  14. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    I rarely read her blog - I'll try and read later.

I'm hoping that I've kicked the virus into touch. Cycled Sat which left me wiped but did a good 40 min run yesterday and felt fine.

got POAs sorted last Thur but not managed to find the energy to post them yet. so that is on my list today. solicitor was very nice and only charged another £5 - suspect being a fellow professional made a massive difference for that one. she only charged £10 for the original 5, this time she had to amend 4 and certify 2 copies of my passport.

OH is off for half term but working on bathroom - he commented on Monday that he had finished ripping it to bits and was at least on the putting it back together loop.

R Anne - have a nice night off - I don't watch telly that much but suppose I'm on the computer instead so still need connecting to something!

Grace - hope everything is OK with you

15. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    Thanks for that Celia.

I have read the Blog. Poor Ann. Poor, poor Ann to go through feeling so ill and coping with MIL.

XX

16. Pegsdaughter

Pegsdaughter Registered User

Oct 7, 2014
    London
    How she copes I do not know. Time for one of the soaps to do this as a story line based on Ann's real life experiences

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

17. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    Thanks for the link, Like JM, I don't normally read blogs. Also miss them cos I usually use iPad with app.
    I am horrified, reading it all together, rather than day by day. Makes more impact, somehow.
    I don't think the soaps would believe it. Plus it wouldn't run as long as Ann has had to cope.
    Various people have asked her over the months what happens if you are ill? Well, now she knows. If OH was away, as he might be in the future, what then?
    I still think it's time for a permanent care home for her! Now even more convinced. When my OH went into a home for respite, there were beds available, even at short notice, for self founders. But then, I don't live near Ann!
    Maybe we should send the whole thing, plus synopsis to all MPs, to show them exactly what their policies are doing to Carers and the cared for.

Ann, wishing you all the get well messages possible! Let's hope the abs do their job and you are revitalised before mil comes back!

PS am loving the programmes on Chester Zoo, can see why it draws you there!

18. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Ann, if you are reading this, please get on to the CH and ask if they can possibly keep MIL until post weekend...
    I read your blog and know that you are nowhere near as well as you think you are.

This is a warning that the line in the sand keeps re-drawing itself, regardless of how far you push it back.

Get well properly. Love Maureen.x.

19. RedLou

RedLou Registered User

Jul 30, 2014
    The blog - perhaps because it is slightly more conscious and considered than a quick post to mates - certainly makes it clear how restricted Ann's life is. That she can't even take to her bed but has to stand there wiping someone's rear end! I'm afraid I would never summon up the self-control and sheer energy she has. I would be taking to my bed and leaving her to go to day care smelling and unkempt!
    Lovely to "see" you, Spamar.
    R-Anne, hope your break is restorative.
    JM - glad you are on the mend but do still take it easy.
    Slugsta - ditto!

--I have just come off the phone: I have revived my OU degree, which I had lost to dementia and the subsequent lack of time. --SO happy! At last, I am looking forward and feeling like me again! --Might not need the acupuncture now, Spamar!

20. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    #4320 Spamar, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Hi, Red, now there's an idea for next year! I, too, have half an OU degree, though that was enough to get me to uni at 37!
    Feel it's an unfinished job!
    You'll be too busy for acupuncture!
    BTW, I'm fine now!