So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Not only confused - bloody foul mouthed and bad tempered too :mad:

Just had a 10 minute argument that no, I wasn't opening the door so she could go down the road to get her teeth back from the woman she lent them to, last night - her teeth are in her mouth, for goodness sake!

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs

Just had a 10 minute argument that no, I wasn't opening the door so she could go down the road to get her teeth back from the woman she lent them to, last night - her teeth are in her mouth, for goodness sake!

I don't know how you do it Ann. Where is OH in all of this?

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
I was wondering...
Does anyone have experience of 999 and mental health?

If I were to book an appointment (can I do this?) at my Police Station and talk to them about my situation ...
Would the Police automatically involve my SS before a MiL MH Crisis happened?
Would the Police want to hear recording (haven't done it yet) ? to understand my situation...

MiL needs help in her Town, County, not my area (and different NHS authority / MH budget)...
but the call for help would be from me .....
Are the Police, 999 MH team used to Alz ? I don't want to see MiL hurt / manhandled...

I could chat to CAB, they should be able to offer 'legal help/ advice'.

I cant fix this on my own, I know that.....
Its hard coming to terms with not having a loving relationship 'normal' with MiL....
I know its not 'her' .... but OMG ... its so difficult to walk away.....I cant just forget about her.

I know I'm not alone in being 'singled out' (you know what I mean) as the Alz enemy.
How do others cope ? What have you done to help restore a healthy relationship?

I'm overthinking .....
I think when MiL eventually has to go into a CH , whether its her choice or not..
I will be the one (and possibly niece) who are to blame for the forced CH move....

Thanks for listening....:)

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011

That's exactly what I meant, that this kind of absence of logic completely exhausts me, and sometimes I can still get physical symptoms (due to stress probably).

One of our recent conversations went something like this. We were sitting in the care home garden.

Mum: they're building a motorway through here.
Delphi: through the gardens?
M: yes, right through. It's going to ruin everything.
D: that would be a shame. Maybe they'll reroute it.
M: reroute what.
D: the motorway?
M: oh you've heard about that! It will be very useful when I'm driving somewhere. They're building it right through here you know. (She never learnt to drive)
D: so where are you planning to drive to?
M: I don't drive. There's no need for cars. They're building a motorway through here you know. It's going to ruin everything.
D: that would be a shame. Maybe they'll reroute it.
M: reroute what?
D: the motorway?
M: what motorway?
D: oh nothing, shall we have a cuppa.
M: no, I don't want to see the woman.
D: oh, ok, we'll just stay here and enjoy the sunshine. That's a beautiful tree over there.
M: it will have to come out. I'm building a motorway there.
D: oh are you? How interesting.
M: I'm going to get lots of money.
D: oh how exciting. Do you know how much?
M: how much what?
D: money, but never mind that, shall we go in and get a cuppa?
M: no, I don't want to see that woman.
D: we'll go a different way if we see her.
M: see who?
D: there's a woman you want to avoid.
M: she's the one getting all the money.
D: is it the money for the motorway?
M: good, you know about it, we have to stop them. Come on, let's go to the passport office.

We get up and walk towards the building, the conversation continues on a loop. I try to lead her to one of the lounges but she's determined to go to the office. She visits it often to 'arrange' various things for herself, including passports. They're very good with her.

Anyway, I know so many of you do so much more and put up with worse, but I find this really, really hard.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Not so much now, but certainly as little as maybe 12 months ago, Mil did seem to have some insight into the fact that her delusions/hallucinations were not real - she has asked 'did this or that happen - or have I been dreaming again?'. Sometimes telling her that the 'man with a gun' or the 'dragons' were just 'one of your daydreams, hun' was enough to help calm her down. As the illness has progressed these delusions/halucinations are I think becoming more her reality than real life is. She is so utterly convinced that what she is saying is 100% fact and true, no matter how strange or illogical - and like your Mum in describing your late Dad's clothes, the details she produces can be amazing. And if challenged, she is incredibly quick at coming out with either her idea of 'proof' of what she says or in changing the story quickly to counter whatever you say.

Phoning the police - because her husband wasn't home from work (she's been a widow for 20 years), or because she had been kidnapped, or was being poisoned or being threatened by people - was such a regular event at one time, you could have almost classed it as her hobby! We have the phone hidden when she is at home, now.

The mutiple people have been around for a long time, certainly the last 2 years at least - she will often tell me about what that other lady, who is also called Ann, has said and done - I'll help her have a bath, leave her to finish dressing afterwards and she will follow me downstairs 10 minutes later and tell me that 'that Ann made me have a bath' or that 'Ann has washed my hair for me'. The one thing I have noticed though, is that with all the multiples, often the other Ann, the other son (my OH) or the 'other' grandchildren are much younger than we all are now - I look on it at a sort of a time slip - a memory of one or all of us from younger days has popped up and she thinks its only just happened, or she half remembers that I've said something/done something, but her mind superimposes a vision of the younger me into her head, so she thinks its a differnt person.

Interesting....my husband has recently started taking about me TO me! He's said " Anne, do you know where Anne is?" And is constantly asking me when Anne is coming home.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I think I was being chatted up this afternoon!
Husband. do you live round here? I have seen you a few times.
Anne. Yes, I live here
H. Do you? That's nice. We must get together more.
A. Mmm.
H. Would you like to go out for some lunch?
A. No thank you.
H. Have you lived round here for long?
A. Eighteen years.
H. Well, that's funny. So have I. Why haven't I seen you?
A. Well, I think you have.
H. Oh no. I'd remember. Would you like to go out for a meal?
A. No thank you.
H. What's your name?
A. Anne
H.Oh! Are you Anne too?
A. Yes
H. Oh no! Are you really?
A. Yes, really. I'm your wife.
H.what? Are you Anne? Are you really my wife?
A. Yes.
H. How long have we known each other?
.A. Over fifty years.
H. Oh no! That can't be true! Oh no! I don't believe you.
A. It's true.
H. Oh thank goodness. I thought I'd lost you.

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum: How are your parents, are they well?
Me: Mum?
Mum: Yes?
Me: You are my Mum
Mum: Oh for goodness sake, you are not going to start saying that again are you? Who told you that? If you must continue with this I'm not talking to you.
Me: Mum, do you want a cuppa?
Mum: oh yes please Lemony.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Grace, I've had to phone 999 regarding Mil once, just a few weeks after she moved in. We'd only just started to experience how bad the sundowning and resultant behaviour can be, were waiting for the 'emergency' appointment with her consultant and she wasn't yet on any medication. And early one evening, she absolutely flipped, got out of the house in the pouring rain, was completely hysterical and I couldn't get her back indoors - she was off down the road, oblivious to traffic, screaming, crying, I was scared of a heart or angina attack. I left son and a friend watching her while I pegged it home and after phoning the hospital department that we were waiting for an appointment with, they said it was clear that as she was putting herself at risk, I must phone 999 as she may need to be sectioned. So I did. Police and ambulance turned up, the police approaching us first - Mil was initally really incoherant and ranting, but I think the 'authority figures' of the police had a pretty quick impact and she started to calm down. The police were utterly brilliant, kind to Mil but clearly they understood the situation. Between them and us (OH had left work and arrived after my frantic phone call to him) we got her back home and the police spent about 15 minutes talking with us, during which time Mil realised exactly how she had behaved and was mortified. We were given the option of her being admitted to hospital or remaining at home, and as she was now calm, we opted for her to stay and the ambulace left. Before the police left, they spoke to me and OH, reassuring us that we had done the right thing and saying that IF we ever felt that Mil's behaviour was such that a threat of injury or harm was posed to her OR US, we must call 999 again. They assured us that they were used to dealing with similar situations, and quite honestly, they could not have handled any better, with kindness to Mil being only a secondary consideration to her safety. I know its a different scenario to what you face with your Mil, but as they said, if risk to anyone is present - and the risk of YOU being assaulted by your Mil is very much present - then it was the right thing to do and they are trained to deal with it. I hope this reassures you, hun xxx

Oh boy, Delphie - and everyone else - do I know what you mean about the 'conversations'! When they go on, even for maybe just half an hour, they are just so mentally exhausting. You can't just 'switch off' as you are trying to give responses that won't cause upset, but following the convoluted logic, the repetition, the u turns and figuring out the right response to give (which can change from one second to the next) takes a masive amount of mental effort. I still find it hard to completely let go of 'logic' in my responses and often find myself put on the spot by something Mil will say, not able to find any response other than an instinctive 'What?' at times, because my head just can't process what she has said, or come up with an appropriate response straight away. Which obviously doesn't help, as as far as she is concerned, she is making perfect sense and I must be being deliberately stupid or trying to confuse her when I can't come up with a reply to what she has said. Recently, even non-commital responses, like just saying 'Really? Fancy that!' or 'Oh, right', are not working, as she will berrate me for 'not answering properly'. Taking part in a conversation like that is like being constantly on 'alert' - you just never know whats coming at you :(

Anne and Lemony - we often get Mil asking OH - 'S***, is it OK if I phone S***, please?'. Or I get 'Ann - do you know where Ann is?'. She has asked OH, several times how his Mum is doing, Lemony - and like yourself, when he has replied that she is his Mum, he has been told 'Don't start that again - I'm sick of you saying that. You shouldn't tell lies!'. A regular event is us all being in the front room in the evening and Mil suddenly sitting up straight and looking round asking where one or the other of us is? And when we all point to the person she is asking about, she often responds with 'Oh - I didn't see you there!', even if they are sat next to her - either that or she will say, 'No - not him/her - I mean the other one'.

Mils mood continued to be all over the place, yesterday. After the fuss over her being convinced that she had lent her teeth out to some 'woman down the road', she suddenly lapsed into tears because she was 'so tired'. I suggested she went to lie down for a while, but she said she couldn't while her hair was wet (I had offered to blow dry it for her, a few minutes before, only to have her rudely refuse). So I offered (again) to dry it for her, and she agreed - which prompted a confused confabulation about how it was a good thing that she was able to pay for me to go to 'hairdressing school' and did I still have the salon in town? Hair dry, I said that she would be able to go and have a sleep now if she wanted, only to be told not to be stupid - she never goes to bed in the middle of the day. She sat in the dining room and just basically whinged for about 20 minutes - she didn't know what to do about her handbag being stolen, her mouth was sore, it was hot and she didn't suppose she was allowed to open the patio doors - then when they were opened, she complained about the draught :rolleyes: One of those 'conversations' started with her asking me was I going to 'the dance tonight', me saying no, her insisting that I told her earlier that I was. I said I'd changed my mind and got told off for 'wasting money buying that new dress' if I wasn't going. I said I'd wear it again, that it wouldn't go to waste, she responded with 'thats good - what time is the taxi coming?' - I asked what taxi and was told the taxi I'd booked to get me to the dance. Then, after about 10 minutes of 'going to the dance related loop', back to tears and a sobbed out claim that I didn't know how much she envied me - apparently because I have a 'good marriage' and hers was awful (it wasn't!). Couldn't calm her, she was getting more and more upset by the minute, so I told her it was time for the nap the doctor had said she must have - and surprisingly, she listened and up she went!

We got about 2 hours peace then, which I used to nip out and get the shopping done. About 2.30, she came downstairs, very much calmer and had a sandwich and a drink. Her mouth was much less swollen, though she said it was still sore. Then, after coming down from the loo, she annouced that she had a tummy upset - she was up and down to the toilet for about half an hour, before it seemed to ease. When I asked, about an hour later how her tummy was feeling now, she didn't have a clue what i was talking about. Throughout the afternoon, she was up and down a lot, thinking that she had to go out to buy shoes, that those men were coming to visit, that her nephew and his family would be here soon so she had better get the tea done. Saying she was just going to the toilet, she took herself back to bed for another hour, before coming down and joining us in the garden - we had decided on a bar-b-que tea - and we had another couple of hours of 'normal' confusion from her, before we went back indoors. Despite saying she was tired, she actually seemed to get into the Harry Potter film that we decided to watch (though I really don't want to think about what stories that might produce in the future!) she was actually pretty quiet and seemed engrosed in a way we rarely see these days. But as soon as it finished, she started on 'home' and straight into it didn't mater if WE had sold her house, she has somewhere else to go and she was going. I had knocked myself out, all day, to be especially nice and patient with her, as she was clearly not 100% with the mouth ulcer and the tummy upset, but it had been a long day, and she got told it was time for bed. Up she went, with me following after 10 minutes as usual, to get her into the pull ups. She didn't refuse, but boy - was she awkward about it. Handed them to her, she said 'I'll put them on now', but then spent 5 minutes repositioning her slippers by the side of her bed, moving them a fraction of an inch this way and that, smirking and sending sideways glances at me, presumably watching to see if she was winding me up?. I asked her again to put the pull ups on 'I will - in a minute' - and got her dressing gown off the hook and proceeded to put it on. I asked why she was doing that? - big grin and 'because I want to - do you mind?'. 'Please put those on', I asked again - she said she would, in her own time! After re-arranging the slippers again, taking off the dressing gown and spending a few minutes smoothing and tugging at it on the hook, then another few minutes running her hands over the duvet, saying she wanted to 'make the bed properly' first, she finally put the pull ups on - by which time, I think I would have got away with a verdict of 'justifiable homicide' in any court you care to mention - and I was able to say 'night' and leave the room.

We've had much worse days, I guess, but I was completely shattered by the end of yesterday, and am hoping for a MUCH better day today. OH has been warned that he is on point today, so Old Red may have to be neglected, as I think its most definitely his turn to do most of the dealing today!

Hope you guys all manage to have a good day xxxx

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning All...

Thanks Ann, that is reassuring about the 999 Police, should I need to, I will call them.

I know MiL (+ in law family ) really hate the police. They don't have nice things to say about them.
As far as I am aware, they have never (unless they are keeping a family secret) been involved with the police.
I know a couple of BiL have been caught speeding and got points. Nothing else though.

But......it might have something to do with MiL coming from Ireland, and I know she hated the
police (both sides) in her homeland, I can see her really kicking off if I involve the police.
All I can think of is (don't like the idea of doing it) is record her 'as evidence'.... while on phone.

This hatred is historic, and even my husband didn't understand , and I did ask him several times...

I did many 999 with my husband due to seizures I needed extra help with.
The time he went missing I called the Police.... family in laws were angry with me ...

I understand what you mean Ann about being 'on alert'.... so stressful not knowing how to respond.
and I know all about all of those 'little looks' and nasty comments ... and having to not respond/ react ...

You made me smile (I know shouldn't) when you said justifiable homicide.

Have a good day everyone....

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh good grief! That's a day and a half! Never have I felt so pleased that OH didn't do half the things your mil does! And the ones he did do, didn't last very long! I do know all about positioning shoes, though. As the disease progressed, it took longer and longer, and each thou was important. Used to drive me mad!

Went to a wedding reception yesterday, which was a nice change! It was so hot the bride changed to a summer dress quite early on! But all went well, so a good change for me. Step dau coming up today, we are meeting at OHs care home, then going for lunch. Thought we might try a pub in the next village that has just reopened. Then I want her to iron sheets, it's just past my capabilities at the moment!

Grace only once did I have contact with police. OH was in his delusional mode and he walked out. I followed him to see where he was going and stood in the road watching him. Just the, two PCSOs came walking up behind me. They had been checking on the parking in our (dead end) road. We have a primary school further down and we all know what parents parking is like!
So I asked them to bring OH back for me, warning them that in his delusional state he wasn't always predictable. He had only gone about 100 yds, but had sat down as his legs were tired by then. They got there car and he came home in state! They then proceeded to tell me about a dementia group that had just started in a nearby town! It appears the we had gone in the morning and they had gone in the afternoon. But they were very kind and considerate and helpful and kept saying that if I had problems, to phone them.

Overcast here, with short shower when I got up.

Have a good day everyone!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning All...

I can see her really kicking off if I involve the police.

Which may be all to the good, Grace - they will see just what she can be like, Hun.

As to the relatives, simply warn them first that should they not take your concerns and the situation seriously, should they not take action that will help, that you can't continue to be at risk from physical assault and that if it happens again, or even if there is just the threat of it, you really have no choice but to take the action of calling for help. Put the ball in their court, Grace - and dont be afraid to point out (and remember yourself) that it is not acceptable to be at risk of physical violence from anyone, no matter what the reason xxxx

Glad you had a lovely day yesterday, Spamar x Hope the visit today goes well for you too xxx

SpringsEternal

Jun 26, 2015
Certainly dementia can give you hallucinations, but its not the only thing. Among other things, visual problems due to a stroke or macular degeneration (AMD) can give hallucinations (Charles Bonnet syndrome) and if you have got this you usually realise that its not real. Have you mentioned this to a doctor?

Sorry to butt in Ann

Thank you for this information and thank you Ann too, I will be sure to mention this on Thursday when I go with her to her GP.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Going to be a long one, going on the initial time Mils been up :( Upset tummy obviously back again as son came downstairs to warn me that the bathroom was in a 'mess' after he saw Mil come out of it, fully dressed. I went up trying to be tactful and respectful about getting her to wash, I knew full well her bottom area would need cleaning - but she was straight away into nasty - No, why should she get undressed and washed, she didn't need it, who the hell do I think I am, what business is it of mine? After about 5 minutes of trying to gently persaude her, I gave up and got firm - she reluctantly agreed, got her undressed and in the bathroom and during the whole time I was getting her cleaned up was treated to a rant about how she is sick of me going out of my way to 'humiliate her', how she is sick of me claiming to be trying to help - and finally, how she was only doing as I wanted so i wouldn't 'beat her up - again' :eek: :mad: I won't leave accusations like that - towards me or anyone else - unchallenged, as they can grow and get fixed in her head too quickly. I wiped the floor with her and she apologised with an airy 'sorry - I thought you hit me all the time' !

That's been followed by her coming down stairs after getting dressed, less than 5 minutes after I came down, accusing me of being 'ignorant' and ignoring her when she has been 'screaming for help' to get her top on 'for at least half an hour', followed by - because food wasn't in front of her at the table as she sat down - demanding toast and claiming that she has been downstairs for hours and that I havent bothered offering her anything to eat.

OH is currently dropping son off at his part time job - when he comes back, she is all his :mad:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
wow - that was a lot of reading to catch up on.

Sparmar, sounds like you had a fab time at Launde, and also that you are managing to live your new life with OH being in care. Your posts really sound as if life isn't a continual strain, if that makes sense. Perhaps it is the LA effect. I'm sure the changes with OH were on their way anyway, not caused by being in CH, and you really wouldn't have coped. And ironing sheets? Life's too short.

Wasn't about yesterday really. Thanks for all comments about mother/daughter shopping trip, but I went while she was at school for best part of 2 hours and then she tried clothes on in evening. Took what wasn't wanted back on Friday and got more 'bits' and did final shopping trip (with dau in tow) on Sat eve (thankfully shops are open until 8 at outlet village), dau clearly was getting eyed up by young men, which when we got past them we had a giggle about it. At 14 in what she was wearing she looked a very pretty 18. With everything else with mum she had been getting by with clothes she had, but suddenly not a lot fitted her anymore and near enough a whole new wardrobe from underwear to coats purchased in the last month. Thankful that H & M and New Look are 5 mins away.

Had a very hectic day, and first time since 'crisis' in Dec 13 that things have felt like they are getting back to normal. Son's birthday party was yesterday, cake was made before midnight on Fri, was all ready for party and had a good time watching 6 10 year olds and a dog get very muddy on an adventure trail. 7 years ago mum came with us round the trail for daughter's birthday, and she found it a bit too much with arthritis but thoroughly enjoyed herself.

comments about delusions have reminded me about mum going through a phase of having continual break ins- so she claimed. Mainly when she was loosing things but I think (maybe wrong) they started with real break ins. I know she phoned the police over them, but think she stopped phoning before her phone broke. She once described seeing someone on her walk to the shops and knew that they were on the way to break in, they were dark skinned with a girl with them and she knew they were breaking in. I had no idea about dementia then, and asked why she hadn't phoned the police, she said they wouldn't believe her, and then some time later told me she had realised that it wasn't them that had broken in. The colleague I sat next to at the time had a mother with dementia and told me it was dementia, as he knew I was concerned about mum's memory issues and not to worry about it. It was just if she couldn't find something she had to blame someone else and that was her way of doing it he said so I just let it go not realising she wasn't coping with life.

Just had a call from one of mum's regular carer's. She has tried really hard to get her to shower this morning, and mum refused, telling carer that daughter says I'm smelly but I'm not showering. Carer is lovely and I know she will try hard to get mum to shower. She has managed to get mum to let her clean more of flat each week. Carer really phoned to say mum has broken her kettle (I suspect boiling it when empty) - so back to extra running around which I haven't got time for. At least I was planning to visit her this afternoon.

Ann - I hope you have a better day with MIL - whoops just seen you've posted whilst I am writing this -hope OH takes over! Life is rather dominated here by Big Red. OH is stressed he won't have it finished for holiday. He managed a lot of kitchen work yesterday running a lot of the gas piping and wiring things up. We have a hob, oven/grill, fridge and gas heater to all be connected to the gas, much of which was done yesterday. I am hoping to spend next weekend making curtains, whilst son is at cub camp, need to buy material first. Bit worried about doing upholstery. Think I will need to google a lot. Need to locate sewing machine first. Off to a steam rally now, seen it advertised for a few years and son at 10 is really looking forward to it, hope it is worth it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Had to go, meant to say, Grace, you've got to look after yourself. I presume from what you've said that MIL was a loved family member before all this, and hence you are trying to get it right, but you've got to have boundaries and sometimes looking after yourself is looking after the person with dementia as well, even if it means dialling 999. In your situation I don't know what I'd do, in my case I see MIL once a year, and OH finds that hard due to childhood history, and we go partly for the kids.

After registering POA with HSBC on Thursday, and asking if I could have a debit card and cheque book, they forgot to fill in the correct form so not done. Third one in a row that not gone to plan - still need to catch up with Skipton BS as they missed a page out! So seem to end up doing everything twice.

Mum still in PJs when I visited at 5pm, she said she doesn't go down to restaurant on a Sunday so no point getting dressed. She had boiled water in a pan and had a hot cup of tea on the side so coping without kettle. Told her house nearly sold, which I think upset her but she made a big effort not to show it, she wanted to know what i had done with furniture, she thought it was worth something, she paid a lot for nice walnut veneered furniture which was hers before she got married, and it had all been damaged by mice. She has forgotten ceilings were fallen through in bedrooms, I did the wrong thing reminding her, need to not discuss again. :( So I left her all upset, which I didn't mean to. Trouble is I am so cross with her about the state of the house, as some of it was pre dementia, although I have to assume depression or another cause as no one would live like that by choice.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
When ever mum asks about what's happened to her furniture... I always tell her its safely in storage....

If she ever questions about a specific piece of something she sees as special.... As in "what about that thingy" I tell her "oh no.. Not that, that's not in storage, I've (or sis) has that safe in our house.....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Always have a spare kettle!

One of my mother's Tips for Life. I find that as kettles get more and more disposable that I need a spare one at home. I always kept a spare for MIL's house because she was forever boiling them dry. I also have a spare at my mother's house. As soon as the spare comes into use I order a replacement.

What are some of her other tips? (in case you are interested) ;)

Let not the sun go down upon thy wrath (there were a lot of wrathful bedtimes in my childhood)
Never put a plastic bag over your head
Tuck your thumb in when cutting food with a knife
Never touch a light switch with wet hands
Don't walk around barefoot, you'll get splinters
Put tissues in your pocket, you might need to wee in a field
Keep a safety pin in your bag in case your knicker elastic breaks
Never get into a lift with a full bladder
It is never necessary to use more than 4 squares of toilet paper