So bizarre !

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum not yet diagnosed with any form of dementia has had a fair few episodes of seeing things that are not there , the first time this happened she had been put on a very mild dose of anti depressants and was seeing people at the windows, someone tied up in the back garden ( she phoned the police over that one) and dancing talking cats. We put this down to a bad reaction to the tablets and all seemed fine for a while.

Recently she has started seeing my late father and can say what he was wearing in great detail although she is almost blind and can not even see the buttons on the telephone ,but I had put this down to grief as he only passed away 6 months ago.

The other day we were talking about a childhood friend of mine and she said that night she had "strange" thoughts but could only remember that she could see lots of "Ians" as in multiple doubles of my childhood friend. Is it possible that if she does have early dementia or even a more progressed dementia that she would know that these thoughts were " strange" ?.

I have no experience with this at all.

Certainly dementia can give you hallucinations, but its not the only thing. Among other things, visual problems due to a stroke or macular degeneration (AMD) can give hallucinations (Charles Bonnet syndrome) and if you have got this you usually realise that its not real. Have you mentioned this to a doctor?

Sorry to butt in Ann

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
My Mum started with hallucinations and dreams. She is convinced they are all true now. The past 6 months they have got more intense and to her they are all utterly true. I have to say though, that some of them sound completely normal, if you were visiting us, and she was telling you some of them, you would believe them. It's only because I know she doesn't have 'babies' and my Gran and Father have been gone now for over 25 years - if you listened to her, they sound normal.

The hardest ones are the ones about 'going home' those ones go on and on

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Certainly dementia can give you hallucinations, but its not the only thing. Among other things, visual problems due to a stroke or macular degeneration (AMD) can give hallucinations (Charles Bonnet syndrome) and if you have got this you usually realise that its not real. Have you mentioned this to a doctor?

Sorry to butt in Ann

No apology needed canary - I know absolutely nothing about the issues that you have raised, and I thinks its great that someone has alternative suggestions to offer :) x

Summerheather, yes - I agree - some of Mils less 'illogical' delusions/hallucinations/confabulations sound utteerly convincing and would be easily believed by anyone who didn't know her well x

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
My father's dementia was first picked up - by me more than the doctor! - because he started talking about 'a village they were taking' (in the military sense) when he was admitted to a general ward after he fell five times in a week. The doctor said he thought my father had got a dream mixed up with reality and was ready to dismiss this but agreed to refer him to a memory clinic because of other concerns to do with processing information which I fed in. After all, what is a delusion but a dream taken for reality?
At one stage, my father developed a belief that the hospital radio/TV circuit was linked to the internet and it was issuing instructions about him, which sounds very close to the beliefs of a friend who was a paranoid schizophrenic when I visited her in the secure unit after a breakdown.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Two day before she died, my skinny ( under five stones:eek:) half naked ( and as she wouldn't keep her PJ bottoms on or the pad/knicks:eek::eek::eek::eek: you can guess which half;);)) bed bound and blind Mum blithely informed me that she'd been to town and gone to M&S to get something for her tea, but it was OK 'cos she'd cook it in the microwave:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

She did love going to M&S.....once upon a long time ago!:rolleyes::D

It's a narrow gap between fact and fantasy...in her case it was about 3 years wide.:D

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

I find it fascinating, but baffling, how logic just goes completely when the delusions arrive :( When Mil tells me how she has been taking part in a 'sports day at work', how she ran the relay, did the long jump and did 'that big long race' I find myself thinking 'But you do know that you can't walk 100 yards without puffing and panting - how can you possibly think you were running races all day?'. That's partly why, I guess, its so hard to reassure - I (and I think a lot of us) have a tendancy to reassure with obvious facts and logic, but in dementia world, facts and logic just don't mean a thing!

Not a good evening, yesterday. Picked her up from day care, clearly agitated, greeted me with huge relief, teary and grabbing me in a big hug. Told she had been 'fine till an hour ago', and then as usual, started to get upset about where we were and were we coming for her?. In the car not too bad, but back home sundowning kicked off within an hour, with a return to the fixation about OH being her boyfriend/husband. She's regularly confused about who he is to her lately - he can be her brother, father, friend, nephew, boyfriend or husband - but for a few months now we haven't had any major kick offs about the whole 'husband/boyfriend thing when we have gently explained he's her son. Last night she just could not/would not accept that he wasn't her partner in some form or another. It started when she went outside to sit in the sunshine whilst he cut the lawn, with her asking him if he thought their 'relationship' was working! He asked her who he was to her, so he could be sure where she was coming from, and she told him he was her boyfriend. He corrected her, reminding her he was her son - so she asked him if that was true, why was he sleeping in her bed every night ? :eek: Firmly, he put her straight on that one, and she seemed to accept it - for about 5 minutes, then she started again. Again he explained, she seemed to be listening and accepting what he said (or so he thought) but as he finished speaking, she asked did him 'saying all that' mean he wanted a divorce, adding that if what he was saying was the truth, then didn't he realise that they couldn't 'be lovers' anymore ! That was a step way too far into extremely uncomfortable territory for poor OH and as nothing could sway her, he brought her indoors, hoping a change of environment and the presence of someone else would distract.

At first, she seemed OK, greeted me warmly as if she hadn't seen me for days and we both thought that was it. But when he went to put the mower away, she was off again, asking where was he, could she not go and see him? I told her he would be back in, in a minute and she asked who did I think I was was, trying to keep her from her husband? I called OH to get back indoors and again, he put her straight. Within minutes, she was off again, and this time he spoke to her really crossly - her response was to say that if he was 'going to be like that', she was going to bed! It was only 7.45, but OH said 'fine', got her her meds and off she went. I followed up after 10 minutes, got her into the pull ups and she was asking me why he was 'being so awful' with her. Again, I explained and got an 'Alright Ann. If you say so. Obviously you're in on it too!'. Oddly, the one thing she didn't do was accuse me of being the 'other woman' or his 'bit on the side', as she has done so often before - even when he had firmly told her that he was married to me, it was almost like she blanked that out as soon as he said it, making no reference to it at all. I said 'goodnight' and she surprisingly thanked me for 'all the help you give me, Ann' and I left the room thinking she would sleep off the mood. Nope, 10 minutes later, back downstairs, that horrible fixed, mulish look firmly in place on her face, demanding that she be allowed to 'speak to her husband, right now' - I said that she was confused and tired and needed to go to bed and sleep, that we would talk in the morning - not a chance, so I called OH back in from the garden (he was trying to finish off the mowing). He came back in, went to refusing to discus and ordering her back up to her room - she argued, tried every trick in the book to get him to continue 'discussing' the issue with her, finally called him a 'B*****d' for treating his wife 'like this' and went back up - only to come down again, a few minutes later, saying she wanted to talk to me about the way he was treating her. I told her to go back upstairs, refusing to engage in any discussion, again she went - but son came down a few minutes later, saying she had spoken to him saying that I just 'didn't understand how much she loves that man' - son tried pointing out his dad's age and saying that as she was 74, didn't she think that we might be telling the truth about her being OH's Mum? She was very offended, saying how dare he say she was 74 when she is only 52? But, she went into her room, and thankfully, that was it for the night!

I really, really hope that this belief that he is her husband, not her son, doesn't become a regular thing with her again - I'd forgotten till last night just how horribly uncomfortable it is when she starts down that road :(

Usual Saturday stuff on today, so hoping she is in a better mood when she wakes this morning!

Have a good day everyone xxx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi AnnMac that sounds a tough evening. No logic, rational thought of any sort to work on at all. It also seems as if no form of distraction will work. My guess is your MIL is trying to find something to hang onto: so it's having a husband/boyfriend or whatever. My assumption being that the only time she feels of worth is if she has someone of her own. You have her son so she hasn't got anyone?

Now what you do with all this 'drivel' and it may just be that. Who knows? Have you tried finding her something to nurture an animal or a doll? Something that is just hers. That is all I can think of to try and help the poor woman and stop her driving you all round the bend.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi AnnMac that sounds a tough evening. No logic, rational thought of any sort to work on at all. It also seems as if no form of distraction will work. My guess is your MIL is trying to find something to hang onto: so it's having a husband/boyfriend or whatever. My assumption being that the only time she feels of worth is if she has someone of her own. You have her son so she hasn't got anyone?

Now what you do with all this 'drivel' and it may just be that. Who knows? Have you tried finding her something to nurture an animal or a doll? Something that is just hers. That is all I can think of to try and help the poor woman and stop her driving you all round the bend.

Oh yes - I think I've said before that I also think that part of the reason for this particular delusion is as she had always defined herself largely as a 'housewife' throughout her life, she is trying to recreate the feeling of security that having that role used to bring her.

Tried the doll/teddy route a couple of times now, but she tends to respond with a derisive 'how old do you think I am? I'm not a child!' - she does fuss around the pup a lot, loves him to death, but when she is like that, not even a puppy's charms can distract :(

I've even tried showing her OH's birth certificate, that lists her (obviously) as his mother - she countered that with saying that the woman named on the certificate just happen to have the same name as her, that Mil thinks she was a 'cousin or something' - as you say, no rational thinking or logic to work with at all :(

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Ann you have such a lot to deal with , the confabulations and confusions sometimes just spiral . You are doing a brilliant job xx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Oh yes - I think I've said before that I also think that part of the reason for this particular delusion is as she had always defined herself largely as a 'housewife' throughout her life, she is trying to recreate the feeling of security that having that role used to bring her.

Tried the doll/teddy route a couple of times now, but she tends to respond with a derisive 'how old do you think I am? I'm not a child!' - she does fuss around the pup a lot, loves him to death, but when she is like that, not even a puppy's charms can distract :(

I've even tried showing her OH's birth certificate, that lists her (obviously) as his mother - she countered that with saying that the woman named on the certificate just happen to have the same name as her, that Mil thinks she was a 'cousin or something' - as you say, no rational thinking or logic to work with at all :(

I can't think of anything else to suggest other than adopt a Buddhist approach and rejoice that your MIL gives you a chance to to be selfless and develop patience: part of the path to enlightenment. Guess which of my CD's I have been listening to today?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Good grief Grey. How to people cope with that!

Ann, OH had delusions and it took antipsychotics to get him out of the loop! Not suggesting that's what's needed with mil, but It would be nice if there was some medication to help her, though.
And the extent of last night, you obviously aren't going to agree with her just to keep the peace!

OHs FNC was done yesterday, we now proceed to CHC. Not having him at home, things have progressed. He is now doubly incontinent and is violent towards anybody trying to do any personal care. I knew he can't walk any more. He's also losing weight. Plus a few other things. Just wonder if he'd be so bad if I'd cared for him at home longer ( with Carers help)?

Hope mil is better today, Ann. Everybody, keep smiling!

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning all....
Just catching up after a few days away.....

Thank you for your comments about MiL, and yes, you are right about the violence Ann.
Very difficult to deal with someone when they are / can be aggressive as soon as I become confrontational...
If I asked to check MiL bags, before she leaves (to see what she has managed to acquire) ....
it means I don't trust her (why would I need to check her bags?) .... and that is enough to set her off.

Her family (my BiL/ SiL ... her sons and daughters) know what she is like with me.
They think its amusing/ funny, and smirk and smile if I tell them 'the latest'.
They don't 'see' her violence as a problem...

I haven't yet registered a 'red flag / potential problem' with my local police.
If I were to ring them if MiL was having a 'breakdown' ... tell them I needed assistance....
I really need them to turn up with a Nurse/ Doctor ...
I don't even know if the Police would be interested, they are so over worked, and I don't think
we have the money for every mental health emergency.
Anyway, guess I'll have to register a potential problem, at least I'll have covered myself.

It's so darn difficult...

MiL asked me to ... 'go down for a wee nap' after lunch (we had just had sandwiches, ate in front of tv)
as I .... 'wouldn't be ready for this evening'.. and I would be grumpy without my nap.
(I'm not sure where 'that' came from, or where I was supposed to be going , and WHY ??? I needed a nap)

When I said politely, thank you I don't need a nap, she became verbally aggressive, at my disobedience.

(I've had her become physically aggressive when I refuse to go to bed in the evening when she tells me..... but the afternoon thing is new)...

If any of you have got any ideas on how to handle this kind if problem, please let me know.

Pegsdaughter

Oct 7, 2014
London
Dear Grace I think you need to tell her relatives how her behaviour makes you fell eg when x does this it makes me upset, fearful, afraid etc and keep repeating it as per broken record technique. The person her behaviour is impacting on is you not them she is their relative and not yours and they are frankly taking you for a mug. Sorry to be so direct but enough is enough and they need to stop finding her behaviour towards you as amusing it's not. Would they feel the same way if a spouse was behaving in the same way?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Dear Grace I think you need to tell her relatives how her behaviour makes you fell eg when x does this it makes me upset, fearful, afraid etc and keep repeating it as per broken record technique. The person her behaviour is impacting on is you not them she is their relative and not yours and they are frankly taking you for a mug. Sorry to be so direct but enough is enough and they need to stop finding her behaviour towards you as amusing it's not. Would they feel the same way if a spouse was behaving in the same way?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Very sound advice that I agree with completely.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Grey, I'm afraid I'll never be a Buddhist if that's what I've got to do!

Grace, you have to put your foot down! Tell gp and in laws that if they don't take this thing seriously you are handing their mother over to them because you've had enough, it's time you had your life back! Is there anyone 'on side ' for you that could be with you and back you up?

Ann, just hope you're having a better day!

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I would refuse to let her in Grace. And I'd talk to the neighbours honestly about the problem and ask them not to let her in to 'wait' for you. You've gone over and above and her family are taking advantage of your good nature.

Then if she does turn up and no one lets her in, she might go away and after a few times might stop turning up. If she doesn't go away then I'd involve the police, who in turn, I'm sure, would inform the social services about her behaviour.

She really isn't your problem. If she was no trouble and you didn't mind the odd visit that would be one thing, but I see nothing positive about this situation, for either of you if I'm honest. I think your MiL needs a lot more care than she's getting, and if that ever happens then it's up to you if you want to visit her and maintain a relationship. And if you do it can then be on your terms.

Ann, you're amazingly patient. I find my mum's confabulations hugely exhausting, even though these days she's medicated and they're not nasty any more. But I know that after an hour or so with her my brain feels like it's been in a washing machine on a fast spin. I literally feel, physically, slightly unwell sometimes. So I take my hat off to you (and you Grace).

Last edited:

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Thanks everyone....

Spamar, one of the only people on 'my side' is one of my nieces , MiL behaves with her the way she behaves with me, but I don't want MiL going over to my niece when she has no luck getting in at my home.
Niece is a single mum, 2 young kids... far too young to understand Alz.
MiL aggressive with my niece too.
Nieces mum (MiLs older daughter) cant be bothered with her own mum.
In fact they all cant be bothered, as its too much hard work .... :(

I've told everyone I can think of (NOT SS ) about the things that have happened, or things I find difficult .... GP, Nurse, Consultants... (sister did DVLA)... and of course family in laws.

I know MiL needs more care, but how can I get people to see this? Or agree to this?
I could (I think) maintain a relationship if I was in control of visiting ...

Its the not knowing 'what version of MiL' I am going to open the door to....
and the instant changes from content to angry in a matter of seconds... its so confusing for her (and me) .....

There is something about 'me' that upsets her the most.
I / we think it might be ???? who knows???
MiL sees me as the woman who stole her husband ? son away from her .... (I married her first born) ...

After my husband died, (before MiL Alz diagnosed) she went on about my husband, and spoke as through it was HER that had just been made a widow...
I am definitely seen as the enemy...
But there are times when she sees me as a child , a very young child.... ? 'of hers'.

I agree with Delphie .... Ann you are amazing with your MiL ....

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Grace if you ring 999 and explain the situation, they will send out both an ambulance crew and police - in cases where sectioning might be the correct response, that is standard practice, hun xxxx I so agree with everyone that eventually, you are going to have to do something - for Mils sake, as well as your own.

Potential reason for last night now apparent - noticeable swelling on the side of Mils face this morning, which she says is very sore - nothing visible inside her mouth, but almost certainly an ulcer, and if its hurting her, last nights upset is more understandable. For the moment, painkillers and bonjella and see how she goes - if it gets worse, I'll ring out of hours as she may need Ab's.

She's very confused, struggling for the right words and inclined to be very tearful and needing a lot of support - again, not surprising with the sore mouth :( Really hard work bathing her, she struggled with even minutely broken down and simple instructions. I doubt if we will go to her friends today - I think she is just too confused to handle it.