Smoking

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Hi all,

Felt i needed to post today, i feel incensed/frustrated/sad/disheartened all at the same time !!

I phoned social services today re advice on the new no smoking policies that come into being in June as dad is a prolific smoker (got worse since A.D. was diagnosed ) To cut a long story short the girl has told me that dad will be unable to smoke in the home (which we perfectly understand )but also that he will be unable to smoke outside in the grounds/gardens!!!!!! I have been told to look for alternatives! I`m ashamed to say, this made me cry as i am dads sole carer and have no siblings etc., to lighten this load. I don`t know what to do......i feel deserted by the authorities and VERY angry that after all these years as a smoker, dad has in affect been " dumped" as know one wants to know!! I feel also that i`ve been "sentenced" to a life of caring, with no reprieve. As much as i love dad, i need a break. We had got a holiday booked for August.......but it looks like my husband ,daughter and grand-daughter will have to go without me, because of beaurocracy (sp) i destined to be a prisoner in my own home.

Thanks for reading this.
Jan. :mad: :(

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Dear jan.

Sorry to hear about this. Don't think you need to be ashamed to say that all this made you cry. I remember being in tears at dad's first nursing home because he'd not had his ear drops put in (another story ..... but similar sort of bureaucratic mess). It sounds like this smoking policy is being implemented rather erratically and pretty thoughtlessly. Seems there's a lot of angry and knee-jerk responses rather than anyone thinking it through.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear jan,

It`s too much to expect a long term smoker, living with dementia , to have to stop smoking, just like that. No wonder it upset you.

We all know the dangers of smoking and understand how offensive a smokey atmosphere can be. But surely the rules can be bent a little for those who are unable to understand.

To ask you, so cold heartedly, to look for alternatives is cruel, in the extreme and all I can suggest is you write a very strong letter to the management.

Whether or not they`ll listen, remains to be seen.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You do understand, don't you, that it is the management of this care home that has made this decision? The act has specific exceptions for places where someone makes their home. Unfortunately, as Aine says, there is an inclination for some people who have no idea what they're doing to take a very simplictic view of what the law requires, either through ignorance or laziness. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/20070765.htm has list of exemptions. Incidentally, this (The Smoke-free (Exemptions and Vehicles) Regulations 2007) is pretty new (march 7th). You might want to ask the powers that be what they propose to do in light of this new regulation. It's more than likely they haven't even noticed it (or hope you won't).

Last edited:

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
God forgive me but i`m getting angry with dad now!!! No matter how i try to control his smoking, he won`t/can`t help himself!!! This is a real NIGHTMARE. I feel it`s putting a wedge / crevice between us.........I KNOW it`s not his fault but..............I feel resentful......So sorry.

Jan.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Sounds

a little like a rather inflexible interpretation. At the very least, a designated smoking area ought to be available, at the more generous end, arguably, the care home is the residents "own" home and as such surely he ought to be permitted to smoke (I say this as a passionate non smoker) .
Smoking in the grounds might not be a very good solution anyway if he is a very heavy smoker...what about poor weather, rain, cold etc? In my mothers home even in the grounds residents are never unsupervised and care staff probably would take a dim view of spending a lot of time in the garden .
I hope you can find a solution...my mother gave up smoking many years ago thank goodness, but Im going to ask what policy her home is adopting and when I do I will post again.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
jan. said:
God forgive me but i`m getting angry with dad now!!!

Of course you're angry. Dad has put you in a really difficult situation.
........... of course if you didn't love him and want to see him well cared for and happy you wouldn't be getting so wound up about this ;)

Is he the only person there who's affected by this? Maybe if there are a few residents affected and a few disgruntled relatives the home will have to rethink.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
This is the appropriate page for cheshire CC
http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/health_advice/smoking_ban.htm
You'll note that there are specific links for different areas, all of which (well the ones I checked) have a contact name. I would suggest that you email the appropriate one, point out the regulation I listed above, and ask what they propose to do. I know you don't feel like doing it, but along with everyone else, I think it is an unreasonable expectation that you should have to deal with this. It was becasue of situations like this that the exceptions were introduced in the first place. I suspect that when the regs come into force there will be a number of court cases over this very issue.

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Hi all,
Just been back on to SS about Smoke- Free (exemptions vehicles) regulations 2007.
They were quite taken aback when i said i was sending for the documentation. We were put through to "the boss" and she is now getting hold of the powers that be that brought in the regulations to these homes, and will be back in touch with us. If she isn`t...........i have her number :(
I`ll let you know the outcome as soon as i hear something.
Thankyou SOoooo much for the info, Jennifer.

Love Jan. :)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I can understand your anger , not only is AZ taking all your father pleasures away ,now you’ve got the controlling government controlling him taking that pleasure away from him .with this law that’s coming out in June .

If the government was really so worried about every on e heath from smoking , they would take it of the marker , but won’t because they make so much money from the taxes that fund the NHS with it

I wonder have they told you what solution they are going to come up with the craving withdrawal your father going to have.

Is that why you don’t want to go on holiday? , because your worried of his reaction when he can’t smoke

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I wonder if Human Rights Law has any implication here? I will look in to it if it helps, unless any one else knows?

Sue

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I was just looking at the smokefreeengland site. Their guidance states "Although the law provides for these exemptions, there is no legal obligation for any workplace to offer designated smoking rooms or bedrooms if they do not wish to do so." However, since all of these regulations relate to enclosed spaces, i think they may be on a sticky wicket if they attempt to regulate smoking outside (even though I recognise it's their property). The thing that gets me about this whole thing is that they are attempting to hide behind the regulations, without actually knowing what the regulations are. It's one thing if an organisation stands up and says "we've decided this and it's our choice" because then at least you know where to direct your complaints, but when they say "it's the law" when it isn't, you're left in limbo. Also it's duplicitous.

Jennifer

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Áine said:
Of course you're angry. Dad has put you in a really difficult situation.
........... of course if you didn't love him and want to see him well cared for and happy you wouldn't be getting so wound up about this ;)

Is he the only person there who's affected by this? Maybe if there are a few residents affected and a few disgruntled relatives the home will have to rethink.

Hi Aine,

Dad isn`t a resident, he lives with us. Another reason i`m so wound up about it, i only want 2 weeks holiday a year!!! I`m entitled to 6 weeks, but never take it as i don`t like to uproot him too much.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jan, just caught up with this. I think it's outrageous. We've had a smoking ban in Scotland for a couple of years, but all the NHs in this area have a residents' smoking room.

They can't possibly expect your dad to give up smoking at this stage, or expect you to give up your plans because they misinterpret the rules.

I'm not surprised you're angy and upset, and good for you for fighting your corner. I hope you get things sorted out with SS, I can't see they've a leg to stand on.

Love,

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
ah

sorry, I had assumed he was a nursing home resident. I think this is possibly slightly different. the nursing home isnt "his" home and therefore my previous comments wouldnt apply (at least to him)
Presumably (and this is an assumption) this scenario of ??respite?? is similar to many hotels which operate a non smoking policy. If you smoke, you cant book a room.
Sad for smokers, but true.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hi Jan

Being an ex- smoker myself I sympathise with you and your dad.
My mum who lives with us and is 82 went into hospital for 3 weeks last June, she was a heavy smoker for 62 years. Because of her confusion at the time, it was easy to convince her that she packed up, years ago.
She suffered with a terrible cough for weeks after and coughed up some awful stuff.
I'm glad we persevered, as her health has improved along with her appetite, 11 months down the line she is much improved.
She often says, she used to smoke but packed up years agp.
You've got till August and it's never too late, it's hard work, cold turkey worked for us. Smoking used to be my mums only pleasure and shes always been tes-total.
Of course it all depends on what stage your dad is at and how you would approach him about it.
What about patches, at the end of the day,you need a break to continue to care
and keep your sanity.
Hope you get sorted .
Take care
Janetruth

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
If they make the rules, they will have to cope with any resulting aggro from him, might be an advantage for you as you won't be there to get the blame.