Smoking ... Forgotten she had quit

Josh

Jun 24, 2007
Nottingham
Hi all, looking for some advice really, Yesterday my partner came to visit me (we used to live together until I moved back home to help my mum care for my Gran)

After about an hour and half they went out side for a smoke, and this has become a real issue with my Gran. She is used to be a really heavy smoker but quit some 25 years ago (I’m 28 and cant ever remember her smoking). The problem is she seams to have forgotten those last 25 years and is adamant that we have stolen her cigarettes.

We’ve tried to explain that she hasnt smoked in a long time but she doesn’t believe us, and of course because we have disagreed we are being called every you know what under the sun.

I had hoped she would have forgotten about smoking this morning, but she hasn’t. I really don’t want her to start smoking again, but at the same time we don’t need the added pressure and atmosphere that not allowing her to smoke is causing.

Any one been through the same thing ? I’m stuck for ideas.

Best wishes

Josh
- x -

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Must be Hard , are you a smoker also ?

Or was it Just your boyfriend that trigger the memory of smoking in your Grandmother when he went outside for one ?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Josh

That must be hard for all of you, and I can understand your Gran wanting a cigarette. I don't think anyone is ever 'cured'. Speaking as a (long-time) reformed smoker, there are still times when I would like to reach for a cigarette in moments of stress.

All I can suggest is that no-one smokes in front of her, or mentions smoking. If your Gran brings the subject up, don't try to explain, reasoning never works with an AD sufferer. Just say that no-one smokes any more, it's illegal now. White lie, I know, but justified in the circumstances.

It may take a while, but eventually she'll forget.

Sorry, I know it's going to be hard for you, but it's all I can suggest, short of giving her cigarettes. But that's going to introduce other risks, isn't it?

Josh

Jun 24, 2007
Nottingham
Margarita said:
Must be Hard , are you a smoker also ?

Or was it Just your boyfriend that trigger the memory of smoking in your Grandmother when he went outside for one ?

No I don’t smoke, luckily no one in the house smokes, which is a good thing considering.

I do just think it triggered something in her memory that she used to smoke.

Skye said:
Hi Josh
All I can suggest is that no-one smokes in front of her, or mentions smoking. If your Gran brings the subject up, don't try to explain, reasoning never works with an AD sufferer. Just say that no-one smokes any more, it's illegal now. White lie, I know, but justified in the circumstances.

It may take a while, but eventually she'll forget.

Sorry, I know it's going to be hard for you, but it's all I can suggest, short of giving her cigarettes. But that's going to introduce other risks, isn't it?

That’s what we thought of doing, fingers crossed she forgets this in a few days,
This afternoon she has been kept busy helping my mum bake that seams to have kept mind off it.

Thanks for the advice guys, its just good to bounce our thoughts off of people sometimes.

Wishing every one all the best.

Josh