Smi doctors certificate

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's not so much a post code lottery as a GP lottery. If your GP will sign the form, then the LA must permit the exemption. The question sometimes is: will the GP sign the form? It was this specific issue that brought me to this forum in 2006 - my mother's GP would not sign the form, and she didn't have a consultant who could do it either.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
It's not so much a post code lottery as a GP lottery. If your GP will sign the form, then the LA must permit the exemption. The question sometimes is: will the GP sign the form? It was this specific issue that brought me to this forum in 2006 - my mother's GP would not sign the form, and she didn't have a consultant who could do it either.

Oh really sorry to hear that you had problems.. I can only assume that dad's GP is going to sign being that we have been charged a fee xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I eventually wore him down: probably the phone calls, the emails and the constant "why won't you sign this" questions. He did rather act as if he was going to be paying the exemption himself. But I'll give him this: he didn't charge me to sign the form when he finally did.

But if you only have a GP and they won't sign the form, then you really are stuck because there is no other option.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
I eventually wore him down: probably the phone calls, the emails and the constant "why won't you sign this" questions. He did rather act as if he was going to be paying the exemption himself. But I'll give him this: he didn't charge me to sign the form when he finally did.

But if you only have a GP and they won't sign the form, then you really are stuck because there is no other option.
Hi jennifer good on you... Dad does have a consultant at the memory clinic.. I will try to sort it out tomorrow and may even email the link as suggested.. I have now handed the money over so could not ask anyone else to sign xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford

It's a bit difficult, if the doctor felt in their opinion it wasn't a "severe" mental impairment then they're right not to sign, but how do you define "severe" it's a judgement call, you may feel it was the doctor doesn't, who's right?
Anyway if the doctor chargers (see Nitram's link) then I think they're in clear breech of their NHS contract:
Standard General Medical Services Contract 93
PART 17
17.1 Certificates77
17.1.1. The Contractor shall issue free of charge to a patient or his personal representative any medical certificate of a description prescribed in column 1 of the table below which is reasonably required under or for the purposes of the enactments specified in relation to the certificate in column 2 of the table below, except where, for the condition to which the certificate relates, the patient-
NHS England
Standard General Medical Services Contract 97
PART 1984
9. To support a claim by or on behalf of a severely mentally impaired person for exemption from liability to pay the Council Tax or eligibility for a discount in respect of the amount of Council Tax payable.
Specifically in Part 17 they are told what they can and cannot charge for and in part 1894, section 9 it says specifically they can't charge for supporting a claim for council tax exemption. To charge is a rule break in their NHS contract and that's potentially some serious stuff for them, specially if they've done it before!!!!
K

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I absolutely agree Kevin. But the truth is, my mother, while a "good presenter" was absolutely severely mentally impaired. As, in fact, all the empirical tests showed. He just seemed to have a blind spot about it, and I couldn't find another option.

To be fair, he was a pretty good GP apart from that single issue. And as I said, he didn't charge me/us when he finally did sign.

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
It's a bit difficult, if the doctor felt in their opinion it wasn't a "severe" mental impairment then they're right not to sign, but how do you define "severe" it's a judgement call, you may feel it was the doctor doesn't, who's right?
Anyway if the doctor chargers (see Nitram's link) then I think they're in clear breech of their NHS contract:
Standard General Medical Services Contract 93
PART 17
17.1 Certificates77
17.1.1. The Contractor shall issue free of charge to a patient or his personal representative any medical certificate of a description prescribed in column 1 of the table below which is reasonably required under or for the purposes of the enactments specified in relation to the certificate in column 2 of the table below, except where, for the condition to which the certificate relates, the patient-
NHS England
Standard General Medical Services Contract 97
PART 1984
9. To support a claim by or on behalf of a severely mentally impaired person for exemption from liability to pay the Council Tax or eligibility for a discount in respect of the amount of Council Tax payable.
Specifically in Part 17 they are told what they can and cannot charge for and in part 1894, section 9 it says specifically they can't charge for supporting a claim for council tax exemption. To charge is a rule break in their NHS contract and that's potentially some serious stuff for them, specially if they've done it before!!!!
K
Yes that information was going round in my mind at the time but could not remember which section /paragraph it was.. Will certainly quote it tomorrow or email the link.. Thanks again xx