Smart technology for dementia sufferers

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Fascinating article, Jennifer.
At the risk of sounding Ludditie and olde fogeyishe, who is going to remember to set all those devices? I have trouble setting a video timer, (yes, I still cleave to videos!) And as for turning the cooker off and on, well I have an automatic device for that too, but it's too fiddly to get to grips with. How would the device know when to turn the cooker off I wonder? Can they smell fear and confusion? Perhaps they can smell burning baked beans. Machines are only as clever as the people who programme them I was told once.

Oh, I DO sound olde fogeyishe:). Set me straight, someone.:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks for that Deborah. I don`t feel quite as useless now.

I read the article and found it a technophile`s dream, but wondered just how practical it would really be.

To make it appliable, I imagine it would need to be programmed and supervised from a central control tower.

Another job for India perhaps. :rolleyes:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You'll note I said it was interesting, not that I think it will work! The disembodied voice warning system for example - that was an absolute disaster for my mother: distressing, confusing, upsetting. Also, of course, a lot of people who go awandering don't take kindly to an actual person pointing out the fact that it's the middle of the night - will they immediately take notice of a voice? It seems to me that the systems will only work if yoi are dealing with someone who is cooperative and biddable, and all I can say to tht is: HA!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It would be interesting to know if any consultation took place prior to these developments.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream