Small vessel brain disease

Scott82

Mar 13, 2021
Hi all thanks for accepting me. Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. Ive been diagnosed with svd but have been given next to no information. Anything i find online discusses it for older people. Im 38 i have no idea what this means for me. My doctor gave me cholestoral lowering and blood thinning meds. But didnt explain if i should avoid doing things or if its serious or what.Any advice or information would be greatly recieved.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Scott82 and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for support.

When my wife was diagnosed in her early 60's the brain scans showed significant small vessel damage. In her case, until the pandemic, she was checked on a regular basis for blood pressure or cholesterol problems but wasn't medicated and the checks haven't been made for some 18mths or more. My wife's symptoms indicated Alzheimer's Disease and she is medicated for that, to some effect.

The only Society Factsheet that I can think of that may be of interest to you can be found by clicking the 2nd line of the following link
What is vascular dementia? (402)
PDF printable version

If you want to see the whole list of publications just click the following link

Do keep posting, especially if you have any questions.

Pacucho

Hello Scott,
I have just read your post talking about small vessel disease. What I would encourage you to do is to go back to your doctor and find out more information. This is because there are different types of small vessel disease.
When you next see your doctor it may help to write down on a piece of paper the questions you wish to ask, and take it with you, so that you cover everything you want to ask.
Hope this helps,
Paco

Max68

Aug 21, 2018
Sussex
Scott I would echo the above. Back in 2007 when I was 39 I had an MRI because I was suffering from vertigo. The rather abrupt consultant seemed more interested in attacking me for drinking and smoking (maybe understandably) and said I had some high signal lesions on my scan which although they were non-specific and represented increased water content, given my vascular risk factors it was likely they represented an early degree of small vessel disease. He didn't know what caused the vertigo and walloped me on low dose aspirin. In 2008 I saw someone else, had another MRI and they reported the MRI to be normal and was told to stop taking the aspirin. Had another one in 2016 as the vertigo returned and the result was no evidence of intra-cranial abnormality. So as well as speaking to your GP I am just mentioning the above to say that maybe a second opinion may also be an option

Lesley1s

May 12, 2021
Hi all thanks for accepting me. Not sure if this is the right place but here goes. Ive been diagnosed with svd but have been given next to no information. Anything i find online discusses it for older people. Im 38 i have no idea what this means for me. My doctor gave me cholestoral lowering and blood thinning meds. But didnt explain if i should avoid doing things or if its serious or what.Any advice or information would be greatly recieved.