Slow eating

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Noticed a comment in another thread, regarding slow eating.
MiL is taking longer than she used to, in eating her food at home, not quite so bad eating out.
Is eating slower common?
At present MiL will just about eat a small portion of 1st course, taking her time. Dessert is eaten slowly but in reasonable time.
It won't be long before she has a babies plate, with hot water under it!
Teeth and mouth checked by dentist, so no problems there.

Bod

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Noticed a comment in another thread, regarding slow eating.
MiL is taking longer than she used to, in eating her food at home, not quite so bad eating out.
Is eating slower common?
At present MiL will just about eat a small portion of 1st course, taking her time. Dessert is eaten slowly but in reasonable time.
It won't be long before she has a babies plate, with hot water under it!
Teeth and mouth checked by dentist, so no problems there.

Bod

My husband certainly takes a lot longer to eat his meals (Alzheimer's for twelve years) -- I used to sit and wait for him to finish out of politeness, but he takes at least twice as long as I do, so I can have the dishes washed and put away by the time he finishes his dessert. Up to now it has never bothered him that his food is going cold, and I know better than to break his concentration by removing it to reheat, as he would probably not resume eating.
Having said all that, I turned away for a moment recently, and a portion of tiramisu disappeared so quickly that I still catch myself scanning under the table in search of it!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband can take up to an hour to eat a small puréed meal. He chews each mouthful even though it is puréed and his food is always cold but it does not appear to bother him. His dessert goes down in about 10 minutes sometimes his mouth open for the next spoonful before I have the spoon reloaded. He certainly has a sweet tooth.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband definitely takes longer to eat his meals these days. He enjoys his food and is able to feed himself - he just takes a little longer with cutting it up, chewing or deciding what he should eat next on the plate.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband can take up to an hour to eat a small puréed meal. He chews each mouthful even though it is puréed and his food is always cold but it does not appear to bother him. His dessert goes down in about 10 minutes sometimes his mouth open for the next spoonful before I have the spoon reloaded. He certainly has a sweet tooth.

That is interesting, jaymor. I wonder if sweet things encourage more saliva and are easier to eat?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Just to be different, my husband is the opposite. Before dementia (14 years since diagnosis) he was a slow and careful eater who hardly ever ate everything on his plate. Now he eats as if he is in an Olympic race and eats every last scrap. I have to eat with my fork in one hand and my other hand keeping his from putting more food in his mouth.

Also he always had a sweet tooth but even more so now. I think this is very common.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My mother has always eaten slowly. When my son was very young he asked Daddy why Grandma eats so slowly. Daddy thought it was amusing to explain that it was because Grandma likes to masticate properly. It wasn't quite as amusing when our son asked Grandma the inevitable question... :eek:

hvml

Oct 10, 2015
North Cornwall
My Dad is a bit like this too. He was always very abstemious and would never eat between meals, but now he forgets he has eaten and can't get enough. He really enjoys his food and now that we eat together at lunch time when my brother and sister in law are at work, he enjoys the social side of it. When we all ate in the evenings, my brother would get affronted by Dad's table manners and constantly be telling him off for speaking with his mouth full!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband is a very slow eater. Each meal takes between one and one and a half hours. He has to be fed. Until the last six months I could give him a biscuit or a sandwich to feed himself but now he only takes the first bite if I guide it to his mouth and then seems to lose the thread of what he is doing and just drop it.
He chews each mouthful for ages. He has a problem with mixed textures. He does not need everything pureed but if I give him any yogurt other than smooth he rejects the bits. He will quite happily eat toast or a biscuit such as a kit kat though if I give it to him in small pieces.
I found he was rejecting his dinner when it got cold so I have a staywarm plate which you fill with hot water which improves this. We see a neurological dietician and with her help and persistance we have got him from underweight to just within the normal range. I am anxious he does not get any less well padded as he is no longer very mobile and has purple patches where he sits which may progress to pressure sores.
One helpful thing the dietician advised was not to mix his dinner all up but to offer vegetables etc separately as this is apparently more stimulus to the taste receptors.
Before he got the dementia he had no problems eating or drinking but did not have a sweet tooth. Now this has changed and he likes sweet things. I even now put sugar in his tea to tempt him to drink it. He used to like beer but this now gives him an upset stomach but he still enjoys a glass of wine occasionally.
Tre

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband is a very slow eater. Each meal takes between one and one and a half hours. He has to be fed. Until the last six months I could give him a biscuit or a sandwich to feed himself but now he only takes the first bite if I guide it to his mouth and then seems to lose the thread of what he is doing and just drop it.
He chews each mouthful for ages. He has a problem with mixed textures. He does not need everything pureed but if I give him any yogurt other than smooth he rejects the bits. He will quite happily eat toast or a biscuit such as a kit kat though if I give it to him in small pieces.
I found he was rejecting his dinner when it got cold so I have a staywarm plate which you fill with hot water which improves this. We see a neurological dietician and with her help and persistance we have got him from underweight to just within the normal range. I am anxious he does not get any less well padded as he is no longer very mobile and has purple patches where he sits which may progress to pressure sores.
One helpful thing the dietician advised was not to mix his dinner all up but to offer vegetables etc separately as this is apparently more stimulus to the taste receptors.
Before he got the dementia he had no problems eating or drinking but did not have a sweet tooth. Now this has changed and he likes sweet things. I even now put sugar in his tea to tempt him to drink it. He used to like beer but this now gives him an upset stomach but he still enjoys a glass of wine occasionally.
Tre

Tre, does he sit on a pressure-relieving cushion?

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Yes, although we were promised a better gel one on 5th Oct and are still waiting.
Tre