slip, slip, slipping away

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
For some reason this title keeps going through my mind. You know it will happen but when it does, it is still a jolt. My Mom went an entire day without calling me yesterday. She always calls me 6 times a day, forgetting sometimes that she just called or calls because she is bored and doesn't know what to do with herself. But yesterday, no call. She had her Day Out and I knew all was ok, but still, not the usual. So I called her to check in later in the afternoon, she actted like I don't live here and was calling from out of town. When I told her no I'm down the street,she was surprised and said how delighted she was to have someone here and guessed she wouldn't have to move afterall.
Just so weird how the brain can erase something and pencil in something else, until it decides to erase that too.
We are seeing Mom digress quickly and I wonder just where we'll be this time next year. I'm not "down" really, just contemplative and trying to accept these new changes. Trying not to look back at what was and trying not to think too far into the future either.
Perhaps today, she will know who I am and where I live.......and then again, maybe it will be worse. Kinda like a playing poker, you never know what your kind of hand your going to have on any given day.
Debbie

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Rummy, thanks for sharing that. Your title reminds me of a song title or chorus(was it slip-sliding away?- sounds Andy Fairweatherlow-ish, I think but it's the same thing). I know I'm very much in 'early days' but I do rather feel I am trying to cling onto some metal pole with greased hands...

Let's hope your poker hands are a little better soon, Love Karen (TF)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
slip-sliding away

as I recall, it was Paul Simon, and the title was "Slip slidin' away".

Great song.

Jan and I saw him at the London Palladium 20 years ago; great singer, great songs.....great memory.

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Slip slidin' away

Ok, I officially change my title, that may be what was trying to emerge in my mind and it sounds more appropriate anyway:D How cool you got to see Paul Simon in person Bruce! I haven't been to a concert in way over twenty years! Last I saw was Neil Diamond in his hay day! Ahh the good ole days !

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
HI rummy

since i read your earlier post that tune has been going around in my head only ive been slip slip slipping away i knew it didnt sound right:confused:

so thanks TF and brucie for putting me right it can now drive me nuts only with the right words:D

no offence to paul simon i like his music, but like kylie, i just cant get it outa my head:D

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hi Donna,
I am soooo bad with lyrics. The Texas in me wants to pronounce everthing the way it sounds which is a bad west Texas trait ( ie: George Bush country:eek: )
My Chicago born husband laughs at just about everything I say, I have given up even trying to repeat slangisms!
Debbie

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Isn't it embarrassing when you remember Andy Fairweatherlow? And then realise the reason you remember him best is for 'Wide-Eyed and Legless'??????? :) And then have to confess why that might be significant to you!?:eek:

All in my youth, of course.:D

Rummy, this was a poignant thread. Hope things are OK with you.

Love, TF

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
TF, you got to love TP, we can say anything here and everyone just says, "yeh, I know exactly what you mean" ! I'm ok, Mom is really ****y today for some reason. I can get really sad about it all if I let myself. The Positive thread in the Tea Room really helps. One thing I know is that there are so many here that care and that I can always rant to!
Thanks for listening!
Debbie

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Am reading along .

Loved that song years ago Slip slidin' away ,now am going to have to look up the Lyrics , Ok can hear Brucie saying "don't post them cope rights :eek: :D Joke ! Joke !

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
...perhaps we could form the TP virtual choir and sing along together to a different song from different eras each day at some given time.......;)

...or perhaps we should each publish the lyrics on TP and we might all end up in the same jail cell, where we could take the 'virtual' out of the choir.......:D

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
...... just love this thread!
Hope you don't mind if I go off topic ........ but, Brucie, your mention of prison sparked a thought ........ by committing a crime, you'll be 'put away' and no one will think to ask you to contribute towards your 'care costs'.
....... just have to 'go off' to think of a crime that warrants a longish sentence that doesn't involve hurting anyone that I can 'suggest' to my Dad when the time comes (seriously though, hope that idea doesn't offend anyone? but it sure is a way to avoid worrying about where care costs are going to come from ...... but why aren't prisoners asked to contribute to their 'care costs' when someone who has always positively contributed to society does have to :mad: ). Rant over..... didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Elaine

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
One of the best evenings I remember was Sony & Cher at the Birmingham Town Hall.
The audience loved them.
I think the main song title was "your a lady"? Also "I got you babe".
Can't remember the date,don't know if I want too!!
Norman

Last edited:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
ElaineMaul said:
...... just love this thread!
Hope you don't mind if I go off topic ........ but, Brucie, your mention of prison sparked a thought ........ by committing a crime, you'll be 'put away' and no one will think to ask you to contribute towards your 'care costs'.
....... just have to 'go off' to think of a crime that warrants a longish sentence that doesn't involve hurting anyone that I can 'suggest' to my Dad when the time comes (seriously though, hope that idea doesn't offend anyone? but it sure is a way to avoid worrying about where care costs are going to come from ...... but why aren't prisoners asked to contribute to their 'care costs' when someone who has always positively contributed to society does have to :mad: ). Rant over..... didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Elaine

People who get sectioned don't contribute to care costs either :D

A couple of years ago when we were extremely resistant to the idea of my mum going into residential care the social worker did threaten to have my mum sectioned :eek: :eek:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
What is sectioned? It sounds painful !:eek:
Elaine, perhaps there would be so many AD prisoners they would have to form their own prison and thus have a state of the art place for them! It is the same here. What a shame.
Brucie, that is a wonderful idea, a virtual choir. Just remember there is a time difference so that I can join in! ( think 5 hours?)
Ok, I'm warming up........

You, can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herd..........
Youuuuuu, can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herrrrrrd.......
You, can't roller skate in a Buffalo herd.
But you can be happy iffffff, you've a mind to.

All ya gotta do issssss put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down .......do it, do it, do it

:D Debbie

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
more slip slipping away

hiya rummy
to be honest it sounded better your way anyway:D i think paul simon should do your version.
apologies also for ambushing your thread:eek:

hi TF

wide eyed and legless god the memories:D god im old:(

brucie,

im going to have to look that one up!! do you think you could hum me a virtual tune;) but the title sums me up nicely:eek:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Hey Donna,
Your in good company:D , and ambush away, that is what makes TP so cool!
Debbie

Attachments

• hippi.gif
    hippi.gif
    591 bytes · Views: 275

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
rummy said:
What is sectioned? It sounds painful !:eek:

It's when someone is detained against their will under the Mental Health Act and I'm sure it is painful :eek: It also used to be known as being committed.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
rummy said:

You, can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herd..........
Youuuuuu, can't roller skate in a Buffalo Herrrrrrd.......
You, can't roller skate in a Buffalo herd.
But you can be happy iffffff, you've a mind to.

All ya gotta do issssss put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down .......do it, do it, do it

:p Oh Debbie, you've just reminded me of a snippet of a song I heard on the radio yesterday. It went something like :-

I know a great guy called Buffalo Bill,
His wife won't do it, but his buffalo will ...

I don't know what they could have been referring to of course :rolleyes: but it cracked me up! :D

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Lynne, you've cracked me up this morning ! That had to be a country song ?
Wanted to tell you that I'm taking my first long road cycle trip end of the month. Oklahoma to Illinois and back. Not entirely for pleasure, my FIL has terminal lung cancer and we're going for a last visit but going to take the back roads and go slow. Wish me luck!
Debbie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamieF7