Slip Slidin` Away

BillyF

May 7, 2014
Bonney Lake, Washington, USA
Oh BillyF.

I wish you well for continued health to enjoy further travels - even if they are within a 300 mile radius!

Izzy, you and Bill are an inspiration to me. So sorry to hear about Mom's passing and the effect on Bill. At least he seems to still have his sense of humor.

Thanks for the kind words. My life has changed significantly over the past 3 years and my family and I are determined to make the most of them. I was called out to my old work site this week to collect some elk meat from a friend and to try to answer some historical questions about our work to solve some current problems. Although I have fully 'moved on' from work and don't track it all, I was able to recall activities, names, and specifics from 20 years ago. The period between 2010 to retirement in late 2012 is a blur however.

Take care, BillyF

BillyF

May 7, 2014
Hi BillyF, welcome to talking point, and what a positive attitude you have..I take a liquid B supplement and a liquid Vit D( under the tongue) and it really helps me...If you are lacking in these, then they will help..., it is great that your doc believes in nutrition as it is extremely important..It will be all about the quality of your time now, I wish you well with your plans and family...x

Thanks Halo, Doc put me on Vit D about 6 years ago after I complained of repeated instances of stress fractures. After 6 months, they ceased and after 2 years I was able to reduce the D3 dosage from 5000 to 2000 IU and everything is going to plan. I wasn't aware of the linkage of Vit D to brain function until your note. The B supplement is working for me too. Thanks for the tips.

BillyF

May 7, 2014
Nightmares

Like most people, I suppose, I have had nightmares rarely over the years. But two recent ones that woke me from fright or heart thumping were different from all the rest. In the first one, my daughter was killed in a traffic accident. She is actually alive and very much in synch with our family and me.

The second one was really strange in that I was alone and using my cell phone and fell off a cliff, but instead of smashing into the rocks and water I saw below me, I began floating about 3-4 feet over the ground on a park with people all around, but not noticing me. I realized that I was dead, but was calm about it until my wife joined me floating over the field. As I realized she had to be dead also, I woke with heart thumping, scared to death.

Do others beginning their slide into Alzheimers experience really abnormal and scary nightmares, or was it more likely the aftereffect of eating ice cream late in the evening?

BillyF

May 7, 2014
Good news update. I have written at least 4 updates since Nov 2014 and trashed all of them because I was essentially whining about the deterioration in memory and cognitive abilities. Who needs that? My deterioration continued very slowly but noticeably to family, friends, and me. I noticed that I was pulling back from discussions and commentary on daily events and had lost memories completely on friends, old girl friends, and events. Cognitive test scores were getting worse, but not enough to trigger medicines. I also have osteoarthritis throughout my body and have to control inflammation (7200mg of fish oil).

First a neighbor, then my MD recommended that I start taking turmeric supplements to take care of the inflammation, and it has been known to help with memory issues. I've been taking 1000mg of Turmeric (Costco) with 1400mg of fish oil once a day after food and with a full glass of water, and not with any other supplements or medicines. After 10 days, inflammation was back under control and I noticed changes in memory and cognition. Now after 6 weeks, I am back to where I was at age 60 (I'm 70 now). I'm blasting through hard sudoku puzzles daily, and engaging in conversations like the old days. Wife and family noticed the changes.

I'm planning on a third month+ long camping trip to Canada and Alaska with my granddaughter next year and no longer worried about my ability to safely do that. I had just accepted the fate of following the three generation path of all the male members of my family in not knowing who I was at age 76. I'm hoping that I may have reset the clock.

The daily supplements I take for memory and general health are:
Turmeric capsules, 2-500mg once daily
Fish Oil 1-1400mg with the turmeric
ginkgo biloba 1-120mg in the morning
COQ10 1-300mg in the morning
Super B complex 1 in the morning
Vit C 1-1000mg in the morning
Vit E 1-400mg in the evening
Multivitamin for seniors 1 in the morning

BillyF

May 7, 2014
Update. Life is good. Other than continued osteoarthritis bone deterioration, my health is quite good and memory issues have been at a standstill since I added turmeric to my vitamin supplements. It does a very good job at curtailing inflammation also.
Recap on supplements:
Turmeric capsules, 1-500mg twice daily
Fish Oil 1-1400mg in the morning
ginkgo biloba 1-120mg in the evening
COQ10 1-300mg in the morning
Super B complex 1 in the morning
Vit C 1-1000mg in the morning
Vit E 1-400mg in the evening

In June my granddaughter and I did the month long tent camping and fishing trip to the Yukon and Alaska and had a great time. A couple close encounters with bears and a cougar that were memorable, but without injury to us or them. The Canadian Rockies from Kootenai NP north are simply the most beautiful mountains and road trip possible. 2000 miles without fences.

We took the family to Waikiki for our 50th Wedding Anniversary in August. A week at the beach resort was fantastic and a real treat to have our girls and their families with us. Luau and all the trimmings.

I did qualify for a couple Alzheimer studies being conducted by the University of Washington, however the compute was horrible and I dropped out. Disappointing. We are continuing our camping in Washington and have a 47 day cruise from Auckland to Hawaii booked for 2021. The wife had heart bypass surgery this month and we are hopeful that her energy level improves.