Sleepless Nights

oikumene

Sep 23, 2006
Rabat (Malta)
My mother, 62 years old, is in advanced stage of AD. For the last 3 nights she only sleep total of 8 hours only. Last night at 2am she lost her balance in the room and collapsed to the floor.

During the day she stays on her feet hardly resting. It is impossible that a human being stays in his feet 3 days in a row with few rest. Her neck muscles are hard rock. She also trembles to keep balance.

Tomorrow we shall be going to the psychiatrist in order to give her some kind of medication to sleep and for us too.

Any suggestions for this night? The best thing is to tie her down :eek:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi, nice to talk to you again

I'm sorry you're having this problem with your mum. It's awful when you can't get your sleep, many of us can sympathise with you on that one.

It's amazing that your mum is able to stay on her feet for so long, no wonder her legs collapse.

Unfortunately I can't suggest any solution for tonight, but at least you know that you may will some help tomorrow.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Love,

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
Wonder if massage or aromatherapy would help those neck muscles? of course it'd only work if she agreed to try it.

oikumene

Sep 23, 2006
Rabat (Malta)
Massage

We tried massage and reflexology but my mother does not have to patience to stay in one place.

Thanks all of you for your encouragement.

blue sea

Aug 24, 2005
England
I hope you are able to get help with some medication that works. My dad was exactly the same. The nurses in the home had to record how much he slept to prove to the doctor that he had so little sleep day or night. Different medication was tried and this did help. Over aperiod of time they had tokeep adapting the doses and changing him on to something else. It is difficult as the stronger drugs which help them sleep also make them groggy duirng the day and more at risk of falls. Sometimes the progression of the illness moves the person into a nother phase and they sleep more.
Blue sea

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Oikumene,

Well I hope last night wasn`t too painful. I`m sorry I didn`t respond to your plea, but I honestly didn`t have any answers.

I can only hope for both your sakes that there will be some medication to help.

Take care

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Oikumene

Well, I don't have any advise, but I had to just say I was thinking of you. I am just shocked to actually think of this happening, how hard on her poor body, how can anyone manage this? Isn't the disease bizarre! I do tend to think meds may be the only answer, something to relax and calm her. So what if she's sleepier - I know if it were myself, in that state, I would probably choose to pass the hours sleeping...

Anne

j.j

Jan 8, 2007
hi oikumene
we are in exactly the same position as yourselves, mam 78 went into a care home seven weeks ago and has not settled, she walks the corridoors all night. she is losing weight because she is always on the go. she was prescribed temezapan on friday and we thought it would work but still three nights later she has only cat napped.we are meeting again tomorrow to see if there is anything better to try because like you say it seems impossible to be able to keep going on so little sleep.