Sleeping

baltreacy

Jan 28, 2016
West Wales
I am looking after my husband who was diagnosed with dementia about a year ago; for the past couple of months he has refused to go to bed; I have cleared and redecorated his bedroom but to no avail. Can anyone help with advice as neither of us is getting night-time sleep; my husband will sleep during the day and evening.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Baltreacy, my husband has not been to bed for 7months, he just sleeps in the chair for a couple of hrs, unfortuneatly, he is jow in a CH, still will not go to bed, he use to keep me awake alnight, wandering around the house waking me up, it is not unusaul with dementia, or Alzheimers, it is a problem with a few residents in the CH they just sleep for a few hrs in the chair, then wander around, my hubby says he has never been to bed in his life. Thats all part of the illness. sleeping pills work for a while, but then they get used to them, then they do not work, sorry that you are having this with your hubby it is so distressing for you, l understand what you are going through.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi
My father's another one who doesn't like bed and prefers spending 24/7 in his chair . Nurses keep telling him to use bed as he now has full hospital bed with pressure mattress. He will use it for a couple of hours each night if prompted but will hop back to his chair as soon as he can. I really don't recommend this as he has a history of leg ulcers and pressure sores resulting from this inactivity and single position.
We had a power cut a few nights ago and I went down stairs to see if he was ok as he leaves light on all night. He was in his chair but said to me - no he wasn't he was in his bed- which he genuinely believed. He must have realised later because the carer said that he had told her that he must have got muddled in the night about being in bed.

baltreacy

Jan 28, 2016
West Wales
Hello Baltreacy, my husband has not been to bed for 7months, he just sleeps in the chair for a couple of hrs, unfortuneatly, he is jow in a CH, still will not go to bed, he use to keep me awake alnight, wandering around the house waking me up, it is not unusaul with dementia, or Alzheimers, it is a problem with a few residents in the CH they just sleep for a few hrs in the chair, then wander around, my hubby says he has never been to bed in his life. Thats all part of the illness. sleeping pills work for a while, but then they get used to them, then they do not work, sorry that you are having this with your hubby it is so distressing for you, l understand what you are going through.

Hello Pamann and thank you for your response. I trust your husband's Care Home treats him well and that you can visit as often as you wish.

My husband is awake most of the night, talking to objects, clothes etc, or going through cupboards and drawers; I stay in the adjoining room with the door open so that I can monitor what he is doing and follow if he goes outside (doors always unlocked or panic sets in). I don't know if this is typical! Have tried sleeping tablets but he awakes after about two hours in a very confused state.

Thank you again - it is a relief just to write this

baltreacy

Jan 28, 2016
West Wales
Hi
My father's another one who doesn't like bed and prefers spending 24/7 in his chair . Nurses keep telling him to use bed as he now has full hospital bed with pressure mattress. He will use it for a couple of hours each night if prompted but will hop back to his chair as soon as he can. I really don't recommend this as he has a history of leg ulcers and pressure sores resulting from this inactivity and single position.
We had a power cut a few nights ago and I went down stairs to see if he was ok as he leaves light on all night. He was in his chair but said to me - no he wasn't he was in his bed- which he genuinely believed. He must have realised later because the carer said that he had told her that he must have got muddled in the night about being in bed.

Thank you for your reply and I understand the worry about sitting too long and the problems with circulation etc, doubly so in my husband's case as he is diabetic. I am alone with my husband all day/night and get very little sleep but just keep going

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Thank you for your reply and I understand the worry about sitting too long and the problems with circulation etc, doubly so in my husband's case as he is diabetic. I am alone with my husband all day/night and get very little sleep but just keep going

Can you get any respite so you can get bit of rest? I am in a similar situation to you. It is exhausting, is'n it?

My husband is getting a weeks respite next Monday and am counting the days at this stage. That sounds awful but it is honestly how I feel.

Aisling(Ireland)