Sleeping

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Hi,

I aren't sure what stage of dementia Mam is at really but yesterday when I went she was still in bed, although it was early quarter to ten when I went but she's never in bed that time and she just nods off so easily. I took her to the Drs for a check up and in the waiting room her head kept lolling really low and she was asleep, you know when you have to push their body back up.

Even in the Drs Mam was nodding off. Apparently she blacked out yesterday for a few seconds at the home as well. She also looks so thin. She does have co morbidities though and recently due to anaemia had a transfusion.

Is it normal to be so sleepy, since going in the home she is a different person, I don't mean it's the home but I didn't think she would be so rapidly declining.

It's such a worry, as I keep waiting for a phone call to say she has fallen and broken something, I don't want her to go into hospital as she goes hundred times worse.

X

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Hi Sianey,

Sorry to hear you are worried. What did the Dr say? Are you waiting for test results? It could either be something connected to another health problem or a symptom of later stage dementia. You need to talk to the doctor about it, I think, so that you know where you stand.

Best of luck.

LS

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
She could have had some TIAs Sianey. That would make her sleepy. I agree with longsuffering - ask the doctor.

Also, I dont wish to sound out of order, but I was struck by your last paragraph. Mum recently had a TIA and the CH called an ambulance (she is fine now) which led to a difficult, but necessary, conversation about end-of-life decisions. I dont want mum to go to hospital or have unnecessary and/or invasive tests either, so I have signed a DNA (do not resuscitate) form and filled in a form for the CH expressing these views. It may be something you also would want to do in advance, for when it is needed.

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Sleepy

Long suffering, the Dr actually saw Mum nodding off right in front of her and Mum has so many co morbidities I've been told it isn't just one thing causing it. The test results were I think for kidney function as her legs are very swollen and hard and for anaemia as well. They did blame anaemia about a month ago but she still seemed sleepy after the transfusion. I aren't going to the home till Monday so I will ring later and see how she is, thank you.

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
Could dehydration be playing a part?

Hi, my mother (89) has recently gone through a long period when she slept more and more - up to 21 hours a day and it was hard to wake her. She turned out to have become severely dehydrated and was admitted to hospital where she stayed for 2 weeks on the medical ward. She's now back home so much better physically - eating and drinking properly, is much more cheery and doing a few things again; I'd say she is back to where she was about 3 months ago. Although she doesn't remember anything about hospital and why she was there she seems to accept the need to drink much more (even though it's leading to some continence issues). So it might be worth checking up on how much she is drinking. (The hospital also took her off her medication, mainly to do with blood pressure, circulation, heart etc and that seems to have helped as well). Good luck.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
My MIL is 79. Diagnosed Alzheimer's 6 months ago, but symptoms for over 5 years. She sleeps until between 2pm and 5pm if we let her.
We crowbar her out of bed as soon as we can, but she is very resistant.
She sleeps on and off through the day in her armchair.
I think it's just a progression of the disease...

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sianey

Mar 23, 2015
Yorkshire
Thank you for your replies. I will certainly check the hydration with the home on Monday when I go but Mam does seem to wee enough. I have been taking Drinks in for Mam as she has a terrible sweet tooth and they have been empty bottles as well when I next go :)

Sianey x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife