sleeping

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
My husband is sleeping 12 hours a night and I'm having trouble getting him to get up, then dropping back to sleep within 30 minutes or so. Is this normal for someone with dementia. Are there any tips on encouraging him to get out of bed in the morning?
Any advice would be welcome thank you

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I do not have trouble getting him up but my husband has also started sleeping a lot during the day in the last couple of months. I have think this is probably dementia related .
Tre

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Sheila, my hubby sleeps 10hrs but he is on sleeping pills, he was getting up most of the night, he does go back to bed after a shower, that makes him tired, is your hubby on any pills?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH can sleep 22 hours some days, if allowed. We took him to a care home for respite last Wednesday and he was asleep in a chair long before we left!
I'm sure in his case it the dementia, he's not on any sleeping tablets, never has been.

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
thank you for your comments my husband is not on any sleeping pills and not on any different medication

Roses40

Jan 25, 2015
manchester
Nor my Dad. Must admit having burned out from sleep deprivation with Mam getting very little sleep am selfishly thankful to get a full nights sleep myself, Rose x

Rashley

Dec 21, 2014
Devon
My OH goes to bed every day around 7 pm and stays in bed until I wake him up 12 hours later. After breakfast he usually starts napping. He has VD and excessive sleeping has got worse as his, dementia gets worse.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
The first time my hubby spent the whole day and night in bed was frightening. However, I've now got used to his excessive sleeping patterns and use the time he's in bed to do other things. It means I can shop in safety, and do all the other jobs that need doing. Sleeping for longer periods I find is worse during the darker months. When hubby gets up around spring, he'll actually have a few hours in the afternoon/evening, sitting in his chair. Then, for the next two or three hours, it takes a while for him to settle. He'll get up a few times for a drink, etc., until he settles again for the rest of the night/next morning.

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
my OH nods off at the drop of a hat, he is staying up until 9.30 and gets up in the morning anytime between 5 and 8 o clock, mostly nearer 5, and then he nods off in a chair, problem is he sometimes wakes up very disorientated, and sometimes not in a good mood at all. Why is it I wonder that I can go to bed exhausted and yawning, and as soon as I get to bed, all I do is toss and turn, wish I could fall asleep as easily as Phil does.