Sleeping

MTM

Jun 2, 2018
My Dad had Alzheimer's and used to hardly sleep at all at night but snoozed most of the day in front of the telly.

We don't have a diagnosis for Mum. She doesn't want one and as she has had a number of strokes and TIAs her doc reckons her dementia is mostly vascular. Mum watches a lot of telly and sleeps well most nights - although if she knows someone is visiting she likes to get up early to be ready for them. This can mean she gets up at three am and ignores the earnest entreaties of her carers that it's the middle of the night. Normally, though, she's in bed early, usually by about 8pm and up at 8 am. She sleeps more after lunch than in the morning. It varies hugely. Some days are better than others. She's not on any dementia medication so as someone else said, I think it's that engaging with the world takes a lot of concentration.

I hope that's useful.

Last edited:

Nan P

May 7, 2021
Hi! I have a husband 8 years in to vascular dementia.
weve Been up and down with all the symptoms under the sun
He now sleeps all day.sleeps all night once I have him settled.

Ellebe

May 5, 2020
Many of you are describing my mum. She’s asleep all the time except for a short time to eat. She won’t go to bed until 11.30/12.00 at night and mostly gets up anytime from 11am onwards (other than on occasions she surprises me and gets up before 8am!!! ).
She deaf and disabled so can’t get around other than taking herself to the loo. Luckily she can still do that for herself and showers daily. I dread the time she needs help. It’s a nightmare having anyone in to help at the moment, but I persevere as I know it will only get worse not better.
Many days for me start with mopping the floor after she has got up to go to the loo/shower. She’s not yet incontinent but leaves it until almost too late to go to the loo! And she won’t wear incontinence pads/underwear. So difficult.
There’s no dignity in this disease is there?
However, hearing everyone’s stories about excessive sleeping makes me realise this is ‘normal’ for someone with dementia. The GP says get her up but let her sleep in the chair.
???