Sleeping

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Can anybody help?
Mum has hardly slept in her bed in the last seven months since she went to live in a CH. This is nothing new and the main reason for her going into the CH. She is on the correct medication, is eating well and mostly content but sleeping is all over the place.
The staff are currently keeping an observation record of Mum's sleep pattern (or lack of ).
She sleeps in a chair in the lounge or in her chair in her bedroom and I know the staff try to make her as comfortable as possible but I'm wondering if anyone else has this experience with their LO and if they found any solution. The other question is, has anyone purchased a recliner for their LO's room and did that make any difference?
Thank you for reading this x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad was like that before and after going into his NH. It never changed although in the months before end of life he slept for longer wherever he stopped from walking day but especially during the night. Sometimes he could be guided back to bed on one of his many night wanderings although not for long but often slept in a lounge chair. No solution was found although as dad became high risk of falls I would not have thought a recliner would have been advisable because he would have woken and tried to get out of the chair.. probably awkwardly..and risked falling especially if disorientated on waking.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
There is a type of chair called a stroke chair that might suit you. They are designed for stroke patients who have to spend a lot of time either in bed or in a suitable chair. My sister in law had Alzheimers and during the last year of her life spent much of her time in one of these. I would expect that they are quite expensive to buy but a nursing home might be able to come up with one.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Dad was like that before and after going into his NH. It never changed although in the months before end of life he slept for longer wherever he stopped from walking day but especially during the night. Sometimes he could be guided back to bed on one of his many night wanderings although not for long but often slept in a lounge chair. No solution was found although as dad became high risk of falls I would not have thought a recliner would have been advisable because he would have woken and tried to get out of the chair.. probably awkwardly..and risked falling especially if disorientated on waking.
I did wonder about how Mum would get out of it too especially if the staff are busy, thanks for your input x

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
There is a type of chair called a stroke chair that might suit you. They are designed for stroke patients who have to spend a lot of time either in bed or in a suitable chair. My sister in law had Alzheimers and during the last year of her life spent much of her time in one of these. I would expect that they are quite expensive to buy but a nursing home might be able to come up with one.
Thank you x