Sleeping

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
I have noticed over the past 2 week ho sleeps a lot he said he feels tired don't no why as he as a good sleep in night only gets up 2 times to go to toilet but over this week end he only has to sit down and he falls a sleep had to go out in car yesterday and kept nodding of .nothing Elsa as changed dementia wise only forgets what day it is and goes on abought bills and stuff witch he never as delt with in all the 37 year we been married witch does my head in but can cope and whene asked what he won't to eat it's all ways sandwiches never veg.its a fore to get him to eat Sunday dinner as anyone else. Had this at a early stag of vascular last April thank you as thinking of talking to go he been to sleep to day got up at 9 was asleep again by 11 30 still asleep 3 10

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi @vannesser
It may be just a phase, but I think to be on the safe side, I'd try and get him checked out by the doctor. It could be an infection brewing or it could be something to do with the vascular dementia.

As to his eating, it's best not to ask "open ended" questions when someone has dementia - like asking "what would you like?" A person with dementia has enormous difficulty making decisions or choosing, if there's too much to choose from. With my husband, I used to give him a choice of two things: "would you like sandwiches or chicken casserole?" And as even that became difficult when he couldn't see what I was offering, I started making two lots of meals, say, roast beef and roast chicken with veg. Then I'd put each meal on a plate and show him, so he could choose which he wanted - and I'd have the other! It was a bit of a nuisance, but I felt it was worth it so he could still be able to have some choice and make a decision.

Beads

Jul 19, 2017
I have noticed over the past 2 week ho sleeps a lot he said he feels tired don't no why as he as a good sleep in night only gets up 2 times to go to toilet but over this week end he only has to sit down and he falls a sleep had to go out in car yesterday and kept nodding of .nothing Elsa as changed dementia wise only forgets what day it is and goes on abought bills and stuff witch he never as delt with in all the 37 year we been married witch does my head in but can cope and whene asked what he won't to eat it's all ways sandwiches never veg.its a fore to get him to eat Sunday dinner as anyone else. Had this at a early stag of vascular last April thank you as thinking of talking to go he been to sleep to day got up at 9 was asleep again by 11 30 still asleep 3 10

Hi vannesser my OH was diagnosed with Vascular dementia/Alzheimer's may of this year. However I know he has had this a lot longer. I would say this is his 3rd year if not a bit more. He sleeps a lot as well . Last year he could sleep the clock round & not get up at all some days . When he was at Drs I asked her about the sleeping, she asked him if he felt depressed or was there anything he wanted to talk to her about he said no. She said to him so why do you stop in bed so long , he said because it's cosy that's why I lie in . So I now don't bother if he wants to lie in I just leave him. As I write this he has not long been up & it's now 4pm. If you read up about vascular dementia you will see it says about sleeping a lot. You say nothing else has changed , no medication or anything that could make him tired . Ye they do go on about things like money bills . Keeps loosing his keys glasses watch. My OH has AF as well atrial fibrillation so things aren't ticking along the way they should be which makes him tired . Has your hubby some kind of heart ❤️ trouble. If you think he is sleeping too much & for your peace of mind make an appointment with your GP & he / she will have word with your OH . They go through all kinds of stages such as my OH last year wouldn't eat any cooked meals he would just bin them then eat the dessert. He could have lived on sweet stuff alone. Then the sleeping sometimes you would have thought he was in a coma. Took me ages to rouse him. Then some mornings I would get up & he would be sat outside on the patio , really cold morning with just his trousers & t shirt on. Tried to get him in would he heck. Now we at a stage where he still likes to lie in till late afternoon he is grumpy & very unreasonable & only speaks with yes or no. However anyone else calling in he talks ok then goes back to Grumpy. I hope this has helped somewhat & not depressed you. However no two people act the same with this disease but a lot of similarities. Speak soon....

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Hi vannesser my OH was diagnosed with Vascular dementia/Alzheimer's may of this year. However I know he has had this a lot longer. I would say this is his 3rd year if not a bit more. He sleeps a lot as well . Last year he could sleep the clock round & not get up at all some days . When he was at Drs I asked her about the sleeping, she asked him if he felt depressed or was there anything he wanted to talk to her about he said no. She said to him so why do you stop in bed so long , he said because it's cosy that's why I lie in . So I now don't bother if he wants to lie in I just leave him. As I write this he has not long been up & it's now 4pm. If you read up about vascular dementia you will see it says about sleeping a lot. You say nothing else has changed , no medication or anything that could make him tired . Ye they do go on about things like money bills . Keeps loosing his keys glasses watch. My OH has AF as well atrial fibrillation so things aren't ticking along the way they should be which makes him tired . Has your hubby some kind of heart ❤️ trouble. If you think he is sleeping too much & for your peace of mind make an appointment with your GP & he / she will have word with your OH . They go through all kinds of stages such as my OH last year wouldn't eat any cooked meals he would just bin them then eat the dessert. He could have lived on sweet stuff alone. Then the sleeping sometimes you would have thought he was in a coma. Took me ages to rouse him. Then some mornings I would get up & he would be sat outside on the patio , really cold morning with just his trousers & t shirt on. Tried to get him in would he heck. Now we at a stage where he still likes to lie in till late afternoon he is grumpy & very unreasonable & only speaks with yes or no. However anyone else calling in he talks ok then goes back to Grumpy. I hope this has helped somewhat & not depressed you. However no two people act the same with this disease but a lot of similarities. Speak soon....
Thank you for reply he still a sleep but it's quiet he to gets grumpy a lot and missunders things but that's normal .i will try not to wore and stuff .talk soon

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Hi @vannesser
It may be just a phase, but I think to be on the safe side, I'd try and get him checked out by the doctor. It could be an infection brewing or it could be something to do with the vascular dementia.

As to his eating, it's best not to ask "open ended" questions when someone has dementia - like asking "what would you like?" A person with dementia has enormous difficulty making decisions or choosing, if there's too much to choose from. With my husband, I used to give him a choice of two things: "would you like sandwiches or chicken casserole?" And as even that became difficult when he couldn't see what I was offering, I started making two lots of meals, say, roast beef and roast chicken with veg. Then I'd put each meal on a plate and show him, so he could choose which he wanted - and I'd have the other! It was a bit of a nuisance, but I felt it was worth it so he could still be able to have some choice and make a decision.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
Thank you for replying. Was worrying abought him sleeping as mutch as he does but trying not to wore got a Doctrrs appoint ment next month will see then if he still sleeping a lot even those it's normal with vascular dementia.and as food. Wise I cook for our 2 kids not kids know but still at home (27)31)so there is a choic but he always has sandwiches but things might chang over time thanks again

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Hi @vannesser

You made two lots of meals?!?!:eek:
You're not running a restaurant!!
I have always done all the cooking but other half has to take what he's given, always has.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
Thank you for replying. Was worrying abought him sleeping as mutch as he does but trying not to wore got a Doctrrs appoint ment next month will see then if he still sleeping a lot even those it's normal with vascular dementia.and as food. Wise I cook for our 2 kids not kids know but still at home (27)31)so there is a choic but he always has sandwiches but things might chang over time thanks again

You are doing more than enough cooking for four adults daily! I would say end the choosing for all of them and if your adult children dont like whats on the days menu they can make their own. In fact still living at home at 27/31 they should step up to the plate and each cook a meal for the family at least once a week.

SandyC

Aug 5, 2017

Hi Vanessa, My 80 year old mother has dementia. She has ticked along nicely for a few years but lately I am becoming concerned. She’s been tired for months. She goes to bed shortly after 6pm and gets up at around 7.30. A few weeks ago she was taken into hospital and they discovered that she has a stomach ulcer, stage 4 esophagitis, sodium deficiency and a chest infection. She’s been home from hospital for two weeks and still sleeps nearly all day. I’ve had her checked by the doctor and the hospital have done various tests and nothing is wrong. Her meds have been slightly changed, omeprozole has been changed esomprizole ( excuse the spelling) and a blood pressure tablet added. I’m not sure if I’m expecting too much too soon or if this is how things are going to be from now on. I’mworried because she hasn’t managed to make herself a drink. I’ve had time off from work and now need to return, I fear that she will sit in her chair all day and wait for me to arrive at 5pm. She is forgetful (and she knows it) but that is the only symptom she’s had so far. She lives in an independent living complex which is run by the council and I’m worrried that if she doesn’t pick up, she may no longer be allowed to live on her own. It’s so sad to see someone who is physically and mentally exhausted every day. She has no taste or smell but only wants to eat sweet food too.

olivia1

Mar 19, 2017
Glasgow
Hello Vanessa, my Mum (85) sleeps a lot too, but my Mum has always tended to drop off to sleep at any time all her life, . She is just out of hospital this week and sleeping most of the day now. I am now deeply worried about her. But, I believe she will pull through and keep going
Sandy, I am reading your message and fear that this may be the time your Mum may need to consider being under supervision. I know it seems like a nightmare and the worst thing ever but since my Mum went into a CH, I have seen that it has been the best thing that has happened for her. I'm glad she's been there for 6 months - this was not an easy move - she didn't want to to be there. The last thing she wanted to do. But around 4 weeks ago, she actually said unprovoked, 'I like it here', 'I like my room'. That was the first time in 6 months I'd heard her say that. But, now she's been out of hospital for 1 week, she couldn't be anywhere else. Difficult times, sending a hug - you will know what's best. It's up to you now because you have all the capabilities your Mum no longer has, trust your instincts.

Zoomarine

Nov 4, 2017
My 80 year old father was diagnosed this week with Mixed Dementia, Vascular and Alzheimer's. He has always had nocturnal sleeping habits from working in nightclubs. He used to go to sleep around 2 am and would wake up around midday. The last couple of weeks I noticed that on the days that I don't visit he is sleeping from 2 am until 6 pm. I am concerned about him becoming dehydrated. There is a lot of information about daytime sleeping and napping online, but not much about excessive sleeping.