Sleeping problems

Denise1

Apr 13, 2021
My 89 yr old Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s about three years ago but was confused for a while before diagnosis but refused to go to her Doctor. She has been a poor sleeper for many years but now hardly sleeps at night time.The Memory Clinic has tried a number of different medications but none seem to work.I am her carer and also work so I feel exhausted most of the time.Has anyone experienced this and any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Denise1

Mirtazapine has helped(somewhat) with my wife's sleeping problems. If that hasn't been tried already it may be worth a chat with the GP.

If you click the 2nd line of the following link you will find a Society Factsheet that deals with many of the behaviours that are common to dementia, including sleep issues. I hope that helps
Changes in behaviour (525)
PDF printable version

Linsac

Aug 14, 2020
Mum was having sleeping problems, awake from 1am onwards. She was on Mirtazapine which initially helped her sleep but seemed to stop after a while. She has now been prescribed Melatonin 3mg now which has really helped and although she wakes a couple of times in the night, on the whole she is getting a proper nights sleep now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba