Sleeping more and more

sillysuzy

Oct 24, 2020
Hi I am wondering whether sleeping much of the day and then then being alert late afternoon and evening is a common symptom of dementia. My uncle who is in his 80,s has dementia (he has never been diagnosed officially) does this and my aunt who is also in her 80,s is really struggling to cope with this, trying to get him to take tablets and food. She gets so tired as she is lacking in sleep due to anxiety and then having to sit up with him until he goes to bed, as he is unable to turn off tv etc.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Yep, dementia upsets the body clock!
Ideas.
Alexa can turn the tv on and off by voice command. Could she lie in bed and do that?
(I am not sure if distance is a problem for Alexa.)
Or is he at the point he cannot be left without supervision?
Could you talk to the GP about medication to promote sleep at the correct time.
Is there any way he could have a medication review to remove any tablets no longer needed and possibly have them taken just once a day?
We use a Pivotell with tipper for medication. It is like an Automatic cat feeder, it makes a very persistent noise until the tablets have been removed. I love it. It is excellent for people that don’t like nagging, it nags for you!

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @sillysuzy . Has your uncle been checked for other conditions, or reactions to existing medication which might explain any symptoms you think may be due to dementia? Anti-anxiety medication may help reduce agitation so worth asking the doctor about that.

It's very common for people with dementia to get restless in the late afternoons ("sundowning"). Getting into a restful mid-late afternoon routine can help, drawing curtains, soft lighting, tea and biscuits, playing restful or uplifting music (not too loud!) can all help. Relaxing music rather than tv in the evenings is worth a try.

sillysuzy

Oct 24, 2020
Yep, dementia upsets the body clock!
Ideas.
Alexa can turn the tv on and off by voice command. Could she lie in bed and do that?
(I am not sure if distance is a problem for Alexa.)
Or is he at the point he cannot be left without supervision?
Could you talk to the GP about medication to promote sleep at the correct time.
Is there any way he could have a medication review to remove any tablets no longer needed and possibly have them taken just once a day?
We use a Pivotell with tipper for medication. It is like an Automatic cat feeder, it makes a very persistent noise until the tablets have been removed. I love it. It is excellent for people that don’t like nagging, it nags for you!