Sleeping lots and lots

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I'm never sure whether to post in this section as I don't want to offend anyone caring for "end of life" but I'm never sure whether I am or not. Dad has been sleeping loads and loads. Last night for example he went to bed at 9.00 and is still asleep now at 1.30 PM the next day. I have just woken him up enough to give morning medication. There were similar days last week but then 2 days at the end of last week when he was sat in his chair and spent what seemed like the whole night shouting for me as he wanted to get up. Is this flip flopping normal? I keep bracing myself thinking this is the final decline and then he perks up a bit for a day or two.
The Community Mental Health Drs came out last week but haven't been in touch yet about medication - speaking to their nurse she thought they wanted to reduce some of his tablets but then he perked up and she said they would speak to the GP- now he is back to sleeping all the time. I think the Drs are worrrying about changing medication because he is so frail.
Is all this sleeping a classic "end of life" symptom and if so how do you mange to administer the medication when someone is so hard to wake up?

Teddybear12

Aug 26, 2016
London
Hi Selina .The disease varies so much what i can see everybody is different. My mum can sleep twenty hours a day whether in the bed or in her chair. Other days she up at 9 am fed, meds given
and waiting an hour for the carer to come and wash her.Its just the ups and downs of dementia. Every day can be different.Regards.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Thanks Teddybear, it seems dad is not alone as there is a similar thread on the go. I will try not to worry so much - Dad has been awake for a few hours now.