Sleeping for 12 hours a night

Partner

Jan 18, 2021
My OH has started wanting to go to bed very early in the evening. He even starts asking about it at around 6.30. A few weeks ago I was managing to keep him downstairs till about 9.00. The last few days he has been getting quite snappy and angry but not aggressive about it. This means he goes to bed about 7.30 and sleeps about 12 hours. He does wake perhaps once or twice to use the toilet but otherwise he’s flat out. Is this a normal thing, just another stage.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I tried to find an expert guide to this, but failed, @Partner. My partner has just been sleeping longer for at least two years. I gave up and let her do it, partly on the advice of my yoga teacher who suggested we should listen to our bodies. For what it's worth letting your OH sleep is probably easier for you both, but sad to see as it could well mean the start of a more serious phase.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH started to need more sleep about a year ago so I delayed one of his morning calls to 11am one day a week to give him a lie in. Gradually that became a whole day in bed and over the last 3 months or so he doses from around 4-6 then goes to bed at 7.00. He used to watch TV in bed sometimes me having to set the timer until the end of the programme so it switched itself off as I had gone to bed. Now he is usually asleep by the time the carer leaves at 8 and has on average 2 full days in bed per week.

Last edited:

Partner

Jan 18, 2021
I tried to find an expert guide to this, but failed, @Partner. My partner has just been sleeping longer for at least two years. I gave up and let her do it, partly on the advice of my yoga teacher who suggested we should listen to our bodies. For what it's worth letting your OH sleep is probably easier for you both, but sad to see as it could well mean the start of a more serious phase.
Thanks. He actually slept for 12 1/2 last night. He seems ok this morning it’s just that I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing in letting him sleep so long. But if not, how do I stop him .

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My Pauline is the same @Partner and a late night for her is 8.30 so all her TV programmes are recorded and watched the next day. She invariable says she didnt sleep all night but doesn’t sleep in the daytime now.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
Having suffered the alternative - awake and roaming all night, then asleep during the day when you need to have them up and out and doing, I'd settle for what you have.
Thanks to medication we have now re-set the clock so-to-speak. Mum goes to bed around 6.30 ( any later and the sundowning monster sets in, and she becomes very unco-operative) and generally sleeps until 8 am. She rarely sleeps in the day.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother went through several sleeping phases in the earlier days of her illness. Sometimes she slept up to 16 hours a day. I told the staff to ensure she drank fluids but otherwise to leave her alone. I have always felt it was her way of escaping her disease.

Partner

Jan 18, 2021
Thanks to everyone for your replies. After the 12 1/2 sleep he was quite lively and he actually wanted to stay up until 10.00 He doesn’t nap during the day so I suppose a long nights sleep is sort of compensation.

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
Hello @Partner, as i suffer with Vascular Dementia for the past 5 years now. I have experienced Sleep both ways I once slept for 24 hours so my wife tells me. Then only getting two to three hours a night. Now exercise a lot, never have slept during day far to busy for that. I am 74 years old normal go to bed at 11pm up at 7am.