Sleeping all day.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
My husband spends nearly all day asleep in bed. He sometimes only gets up for 3 hours a day.
He has dementia for a number of years. I have no diagnosis as to the actual dementia and when I pressed the memory clinic they said he was a difficult and complex case.
His history is constant aggression and delusions rather than memory loss. He has progressed slowly to the point we hardly leave the house, I tried to get a carer in to sit with him whilst I had some time for myself but he chased her out of the house and she wouldn’t return.
I have no support from his family and I am struggling to get any information as to what is normal and what the future will be.
Does anyone have any experience as to the constant sleeping and do I leave him to his own devices as to whether he needs to get up or not.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Angie I recall that you have had a difficult time and in your case if he is sleeping but still fit enough to chase someone out of the house then I would go out as and when I needed.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Angie I recall that you have had a difficult time and in your case if he is sleeping but still fit enough to chase someone out of the house then I would go out as and when I needed.
@marionq...as usual cut to chase and give a direct clear succinct answer. I am so grateful when you have given me a clear insite to my own situation. I agree. I hope Angie will take full advantage of the situation and get out and about while he is asleep.

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
When at home my OH slept much of the time, didn't eat or drink and only occasionally roused himself to be spiteful or aggressive. Because of the not eating and drinking he was admitted to a Dementia Assessment Unit, where with use of an anti-depressant they stabilised him with eating and drinking and established a routine with him getting up. However, he still needs a lot of Nursing Care and has now moved into a Nursing Home. I admit I am still struggling with this outcome but I have to admit it is better for both of us that it is this way. The way of life we had before was not good for either of us