Sleeping Advice Needed

char

Oct 26, 2005
Have just been reading your comments on sleeping problems - it sounds all too familiar with my mother and father. My father goes to be at about 9pm but is up and out of bed 4 to 5 times a night trying to shower and get changed which inevitably awakes my mother, and he never sleeps beyong 5/6am - she is now absolutely exhausted and does not know how to ensure that they both get more sleep. My fathers Alzheimers has not progressed that far to warrant him going into a home and it has been a long struggle trying to get an assessment and then finally getting respite for my mother. We would love to give my father a normal life and allow him to live at home with his wife as normal for as long as possible but I worry that this is affecting my mother too much - any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Stimpfig

Oct 15, 2005
Germany/India
sleeping patterns

Hi all

Just thought I would post into an existing thread on the subject of disturbed sleep patterns.

About eight weeks ago, I had attended a lecture by a retired founder of a memory clinic on topics relating to Dementia, organised by the Alzheimer's Society here. The good doctor emphasized on the importance of regular sleep and wake patterns and suggested the use of Lemon Balm Tea ( Melissa officinalis ) to help patients with Dementia sleep better. :cool:

Has anyone ever tried this ? Does it really help?

Another suggestion was the use of some kind of a Bio-lamp available at the local pharmacy. I haven't checked yet though.

Until again :)

Sue Stimpfig

Gwen

Nov 15, 2005
Northwest
sleeping difficulties

My mother has had sleeping difficulties, which have worsened as her dementia progresses. She frequently gets up during the night. Every winter, her sleeping patterns are always worse, last winter she was going to be as soon as it got dark. Although I also have the problem of trying to persaud her to go to bed. Her doctor does not want to prescribe any medication for the problem.

Re lamps - you might be thinking of daylight simulation lamps? They are used for SAD but have also been trialed with dementia patients. Unfortunately quite pricey. http://www.outsidein.co.uk/soluse.htm