Sleeping a lot

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
My O.H seems to have lost all motivation since we came back from holiday . We went to Devon on a coach trip so quite relaxing. I am wondering if it was too much although he enjoyed the break. Now he just sits in the chair with his eyes shut. Sometimes asleep sometimes not. He was generally up for going out for a walk now he won,t go. Is this a progression of dementia or could t be an underlying problem .Been to G.P all tests o.k memory clinic in two weeks so maybe they will have some thoughts. Any advise would be welcome

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hate to say this, but coach trips aren't necessarily relaxing to pwd! Too many people, too many different places all serve to confuse. Too many different hotels too if it was that type of holiday.
Plus as dementia progresses, sleeping becomes more important. I don't know whether it's because they are actually tired ( though I think so) but it's certainly a place where they are safe. If he's relatively happy, I wouldn't worry.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon
My O.H seems to have lost all motivation since we came back from holiday . We went to Devon on a coach trip so quite relaxing. I am wondering if it was too much although he enjoyed the break. Now he just sits in the chair with his eyes shut. Sometimes asleep sometimes not. He was generally up for going out for a walk now he won,t go. Is this a progression of dementia or could t be an underlying problem .Been to G.P all tests o.k memory clinic in two weeks so maybe they will have some thoughts. Any advise would be welcome

Hi Elizabeth
I notice that when ever we go away say just to see the grandchildren It always takes a day or two for my O/H to recover so sleeps a lot.
But recently her day goes like this get up dress have a sleep for 30 mins after breakfast sleep or doze for an hour . After lunch will sleep for 3 hours and always says she is tired .Usually likes to go to bed at 8.30 !
Mind you that has some blessings compared with some of the posts you read here.

Oh yes likewise with walks just gone off them now.

Leeds

Sep 20, 2015
Dad has vascular dementia and lies on his bed all day except for meals, he is either asleep or eyes closes. Hardly engages with us when we visit, all too much for him. This has gone on now for 9 months, GP says it's the progression of the dementia. Any stimulation is tiring and scary, he also has hallucinations throughout the day and just wants to shut them out. It is heartbreaking xxx

elizabeth hc

Oct 31, 2012
I think it must have been the changes on holiday as a week down the line he has perked up a lot. Even been out for a nice walk.I will have to think very carefully about any further trips.

DixonC

Aug 3, 2016
Sleeping lots

My OH just the same, any change disrupts him and takes days to recover, have just cancelled visit from good friend of his, couldn't cope with meeting up with him and his wife. Such a shame, has no interest in anything these days, I can often get him to go for walk but he doesn't show any enthusiasm prefers to spend time in front of TV dozing! Will keep trying to encourage him but I would just love to have some time to myself I never go anywhere on my own and have given up so much,, still love him though.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Glad things have improved elizabeth. I would agree totally with other posters. Even going out to the garden for a while tires my husband out and he sleeps for the rest of the day. Good you can still enjoy walks together.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx