sleeping a lot

jellymac

Nov 29, 2014
West Midlands
Hi. I'm sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before but is it normal for people with advanced Alzheimer's to sleep a lot? My mom sleeps all through the night for a good 9-10 hours, she snoozes on and off all day and a few times the last couple of weeks she doesn't want to get up in the morning. When i spoke to my dad about 10:30-10:45 Saturday morning she was still fast asleep. She did have a urine test a week ago but that came back clear. A lot of things i've read say its common to sleep less but i haven't really seen anything about sleeping more. Is this just part of the progression of the disease or should we speak to her doctor? Thank you in advance.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My mother slept an awful lot, either in bed or in a chair, during her last two or three years. I would think it's nothing to worry about, but having said that do ask the GP if you're worried.

My own feeling was, at least she was peaceful, and not anxious or restless or fretting about anything, which she often was before.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
My Mum sleeps all night from about 8pm until 9am when the carers come in. She then sleeps on and off all day. Guess it is just the later stages and at least she is quiet and contented!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad seems to be asleep all the time sat in his chair with his head down and his eyes closed. If I tell the dog that Dad is asleep he lifts his head up and says "No I'm not!". It's impossible to tell really but he looks asleep nearly all the time.

jojop

Nov 9, 2013
SE London
My mum has recently started sleeping a lot. She is recovering from a bad chest infection but gp checked her and all is okay. She might spend all day in bed, next day I manage to get her sitting in chair for couple of hours but she will go back on top of bed. She has not wanted to get dressed, I have been able to encourage her to have a bath every 2/3 days (used to always have one daily) but she only wants to put a clean nightdress on.
One day she will eat well the next she eats hardly anything.

She isn't anxious, sometimes a little weepy though, she woke from a short sleep the other afternoon and there were tears in her eyes, so sad. She does still try and watch the tv, glance through a newspaper.
I too wondered if this was another stage of this horrible illness?