Sleep talking

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
My newly diagnosed OH is having some very interesting night time conversations. It is like he is talking on the phone to someone As there are gaps when he must be listening to an imaginary reply. Nothing horrible. Last night he was obviously reliving his life as a consultant and offering help to a company. Just wondering if this is a symptom as it is not something I have noticed before and it is happening a few times a week.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Can be a symptom of dementia @Donk1 . Its usually associated with LBD, but can be with other types of dementia too. My OH has started doing something sort of similar.

Vivid dreams can also be a side-effect of some drugs too. Has he recently started on something?

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
He started a higher 10mg dose od donepezil when he was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Ha also has other long standing meds for various other problems.
from what I am learning LBD sufferers have horrific nightmares, this is not happening (yet). I do not think he has LBD but who knows

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ah, it could be the donepezil - it can give vivid dreams.
Do the vivid dreams cause him any problems? If not, then can you just ignore it?

It may settle as it can take several weeks for someone to adjust to it, but if there are continued problems that you cant ignore then go back to the memory clinic and tell them about it. Sometimes the higher dose can cause problems, but if they go back to the lower dose its OK again.

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
No problem caused at moment…I actually found it quite fascinating hearing him talk like this about himself in such a positive way and it must have lasted at least 10 minutes.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad had vivid dreams when his Donepezil was upped to 10mg. Unfortunately he believed they’d all happened and it caused a lot of problems! He had to go back to 5mg then he was back to his old self.

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
My dad had vivid dreams when his Donepezil was upped to 10mg. Unfortunately he believed they’d all happened and it caused a lot of problems! He had to go back to 5mg then he was back to his old self.
Interesting..thank you.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My OH has mumbled conversations whilst 'asleep'. They often make more sense than when he's awake but sometimes it's just a stream of unrelated words that could be a good basis for modern poetry.
I must pay more attention. I may learn what's concerning him that he can't explain when 'awake'.

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
My OH has mumbled conversations whilst 'asleep'. They often make more sense than when he's awake but sometimes it's just a stream of unrelated words that could be a good basis for modern poetry.
I must pay more attention. I may learn what's concerning him that he can't explain when 'awake'.
Exactly….last night he was whispering and I just couldn’t hear it. Just caught the words ‘future’ and people. I want to hear anything that might help me to understand what is happening

Joanie1947

Oct 23, 2021
My newly diagnosed OH is having some very interesting night time conversations. It is like he is talking on the phone to someone As there are gaps when he must be listening to an imaginary reply. Nothing horrible. Last night he was obviously reliving his life as a consultant and offering help to a company. Just wondering if this is a symptom as it is not something I have noticed before and it is happening a few times a week.
We've had this for about 2 years and my husband has recently been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies dementia. In his case the chatting is very clear and can go on for 90 minutes, just like a phone conversation. If he starts getting up and acting out his dreams this is another indicator that all is not well. My thoughts are with you.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My OH has LBD and talks in his sleep, it usually sounds as if he is lecturing someone. It can be quite entertaining. Unfortunately he also has occasional nightmares which are associated with LBD.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
My OH was a Royal Navy CPO. He'd served in some dodgy old situations, the last active one being The Falklands Conflict. I won't bore you with his varied and colourful service history but suffice to say it 's pretty scary in places. However, many of his mumblings, chats and shouts are obviously based around times in the Blue Suit.
One night (pre Alz Dem), and for no apparent reason, he bawled "MARCH UP THAT GANGPLANK!". I jumped from bed to comply, tripped over my slippers, fell face first into the wardrobe and crumpled to the floor. He slept on.
I had a hard time explaining the bruising. :)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Is it so unusual to talk in your sleep? I quite often wake myself up talking aloud. I know what I am saying is related to what I was dreaming and when my kids were young, they chattered a lot while asleep.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i could hold a conversation in my sleep. i wake up putting something in a cup or bowl. when i was trained on a checkout first, i did that in my sleep.

SueBo

Apr 6, 2020
Nightmares were one of the first signs that all was not well with my husband, & this was before any medication. He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's after CT scan, filling in a 'quiz' type form & remote conversation with a psychiatrist. He developed an inability to sleep for long at night & kept getting up to go to the toilet, (for no reason) getting dressed & undressed multiple times or sitting downstairs in the same position he did in the daytime with lights on. He was prescribed melatonin to help with the sleep pattern which had little effect at first. He sleeps a bit better now, probably due to the fact he is approaching late stage. My sanity was saved by moving into the back bedroom & just checking on him a couple of times a night.