Sleep talk

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
I wonder whether anyone else has had an experience like this...

My Nan often talks in her sleep, and often seems to make more sense in these utterings than when awake.

Yesterday morning, whilst asleep in her chair, she was saying something like "but I can't get up..", and something about other people forming groups without her. She then woke up and carried on talking as though she was asleep (but in my Mum's direction), saying that at the day care centre she goes to on a Tuesday and Thursday, the people there often go into groups and she feels left out. My Mum asked her if she still liked going there and my Nan said she did, and that she always finds someone to talk to.

This could of course be complete nonsense, but for someone who cannot remember even going to the day centre by the time she gets home, let alone any details of the day, it seemed quite strange to us.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or has anyone got any thoughts? It made me feel quite sad for my Nan.

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Emma,

This sounds very much like similar situations that have happened with my mother during the very few times she has 'surfaced' from her dementia. Usually she has been asleep beforehand. She wakes up for a short time and wants to know where she has been since the last clear recollection that she has had. It's a bit like dealing with Rip Van Winkle....

It is also very distressing and sad for all of us - especially for my mother because of her suddenly being aware of a vast gap in her memory. Fortunately [?] she tends to drift off to sleep again after a few minutes and when she awakens later, has no recollection of this moment.

There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern to this nor does it happen very often, but when it does occur it's always pretty heartbreaking and hard to deal with. I'm always left with an incredible sense of regret that if Mum can 'remember' for short interludes like this, then maybe she is still 'in there' struggling to be heard and set free.

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
dear emma,i have had a few experiances like this with mum and you start to think have we got it all wrong she seems so normal but then the moment passes,it can be very upseting more so for us than mum.I have stopped trying to work it out its just to baffeling.storm

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Emma, my Mum described similar too. I thought a lot about what she must be feeling and the best I came up with was if you imagine looking in through like a gauze curtain, you can see and hear, but somehow you just can't fit the pieces together. Thats how she seemed anyway. It doesn't solve it, just made me see the dreadful loneliness of the disease more. We feel bad enough, but inside the sufferer, it must be so very lonely. I just used to sit and hold or cuddle her when she said about it and we sometimes had a cry together for what we had lost. Thinking of you, love She. XX

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Oh how I hate this darn disease, made me cry thinking of you all and how it is coping, then thought of the sufferers....., thats it, off to get a vodka and orange! Lets have a huge group hug, HHHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGG!!!!!! there thats better, love to all of you on this treadmill, She. XX

B

bjthink

Sheila said:
Oh how I hate this darn disease, made me cry thinking of you all and how it is coping, then thought of the sufferers....., thats it, off to get a vodka and orange! Lets have a huge group hug, HHHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGG!!!!!! there thats better, love to all of you on this treadmill, She. XX

She, I've never had a vodka and orange. Can you recommend it over a decent chilled Sauvignon Blanc?
Anything that works is my motto. Am even considering acrylic nails and a brassy bob.:)
Sheila, are you OK after your recent hospital experience? Wassup?
I've missed you.
xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Emma

In sleep, the mind seems to be able to leach into parts of the brain that are closed off when conscious, and sometimes can remain there for a time after a person has woken up. It can be disconcerting, especially if it brings awareness of decline, but can also be welcome if it brings the person back to us for a short time.

BJthink:

Jan introduced me to vodka when, as a non-regular drinker [I hate beer!] at 23 I embarked on a 20 day business trip to the States. My colleagues, I knew, would go to every bar in each town. Jan suggested vodka because it has no great taste. By my return I was sold on it!

The classic vodka and orange is called a "Screwdriver", and is a very nice drink.

With the addition of some Amaretto, it then becomes a "Quiet Sunday", which is even more agreeable.

My own concoction is a variation that uses vodka and orange, some apricot brandy and some coconut cream. Haven't made one in years, since the time when Jan could share these drinks with me. We always had a cocktain before each evening's meal, even when working.

The chilled Sauvignon Blanc is nice on a summer's day, drunk sitting in the arbour in the garden.

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, yes I am on the mend BJ. Sauvignon Blanc is another of my weaknesses although I must say a good Chardonnay is not half bad! Brucie, were you a barman like Tom Cruise in a previous life, you have so many good recipes, I shall definately try your vodka ones! Love She. XX :)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi Guys,

Well - here I am on this stringent diet and exercise programme which totally forbids alcohol - and here you are again discussing your favourite tipples....!

What would I give for a G+T to salute the glorious sunset! Actually, spirits have no carbs in them, but I don't want to even think about messing up my progress, since I am feeling so incredibly virtuous right now. So, I'm on the Earl Grey and Lapsang Souchong routine for now. And Soda Water with a twist of lemming.....

Jude xxx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Jude

I only added the vodka to provide additional volume, really - mostly I was interested in the Vitamin C in the orange juice. :D

I never found these things had any consequences for my weight - but then, as a person who is naturally superfit, with no need for an execise regime :p , my body is honed to a high standard..... the only other examples of such fitness have been found in the Valley of the Kings, in Egypt. For some reason they needed bandages. :eek:

Sheila: Just to confirm that any links between Tom Cruise and me are purely coincidental...

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Brucie,

I've always figured that if I was 6ft+ instead of 4ft 13" then I'd be pretty skinny too. You probably need bandages to help you with your high altitutde.

I guess that's why living in Indonesia has always suited me - I'm pretty well average height in Bali instead of being vertically challened in the West.

Jude

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson