Sleep problems

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
I was woken by an early morning call from mum - 2.45am! - wondering what was happening to her, where was everyone etc, and wandering round the house I assume. I suspect this has been happening for a while as I've sometimes had calls at 7.30am or so saying the carer hasn't been yet to give her a shower and should she get in herself as she's sick of waiting! She often dozes off through the day and goes to bed early because she's bored. My brother suggested sleeping tablets but I don't know. Does anyone have any experience/solutions tthat has worked for them? Or is this just another thing you have to smile and endure with this disease?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@yoy From the wording on your post I am assuming that your mum lives alone. I would be concerned that she is getting up in the middle of the night as she might be at risk of a fall. It might be time to consider residential care. As far as sleeping tablets are concerned doctors are usually reluctant to prescribe them for dementia patients.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It sounds like your mum's body clock has now broken and unfortunately it isn't fixable. Once this happens, the person moves onto a 24 hour schedule as the concept of day and night is lost. (It's why many people go out wandering in their nightclothes at 3 in the morning...)

It's a big red flag for you I'm afraid. Instead of just needing help during daylight hours your mum will need overnight supervision too, so she doesn't get herself into bother...

What I'm really saying is that unless you intend employing overnight carers, it's time to start looking at care homes, where there will be staff to look after her all night long.

Sleeping tablets will not help (and a doctor is unlikely to supply them) and could also increase the risk of falls.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
As others have said, it sounds like time for 24/7 supervision which inevitably means a care home. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
People with dementia lose the concept of time and day and night and they can't be helped with this. Unless your mother is having falls at night or going out at night I don't think that it's definitely time for a care home just yet. Being up at night and sleeping during the day is not ideal but it's not in itself a risk. However, there could be problems with your mother accepting personal care and eating and drinking if she's excessively sleepy during the day and can't be woken by the carers.

I think that you need to keep an eye on the situation and start investigating care homes.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
It sounds like your mum's body clock has now broken and unfortunately it isn't fixable. Once this happens, the person moves onto a 24 hour schedule as the concept of day and night is lost. (It's why many people go out wandering in their nightclothes at 3 in the morning...)

It's a big red flag for you I'm afraid. Instead of just needing help during daylight hours your mum will need overnight supervision too, so she doesn't get herself into bother...

What I'm really saying is that unless you intend employing overnight carers, it's time to start looking at care homes, where there will be staff to look after her all night long.

Sleeping tablets will not help (and a doctor is unlikely to supply them) and could also increase the risk of falls.
Thank you. Unfortunately every time I've asked a social worker to discuss the possibilty of care homes with me all they want to do is push me away. They say until 4 carers a day (which she now has from this week) has proved not to work (i.e I'm assuming till something really serious happens) they will not even discuss it.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
As others have said, it sounds like time for 24/7 supervision which inevitably means a care home. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear
Thank you. I keep thinking a care home might be good for her because she's so unhappy when on her own - she was always a people person - but social workers just don't want to know so far.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
People with dementia lose the concept of time and day and night and they can't be helped with this. Unless your mother is having falls at night or going out at night I don't think that it's definitely time for a care home just yet. Being up at night and sleeping during the day is not ideal but it's not in itself a risk. However, there could be problems with your mother accepting personal care and eating and drinking if she's excessively sleepy during the day and can't be woken by the carers.

I think that you need to keep an eye on the situation and start investigating care homes.
Thank you.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
@56von From the wording on your post I am assuming that your mum lives alone. I would be concerned that she is getting up in the middle of the night as she might be at risk of a fall. It might be time to consider residential care. As far as sleeping tablets are concerned doctors are usually reluctant to prescribe them for dementia patients.
Ok thank you.