Sleep ????? Never heard of it

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
my mum's been out of hospital for 10 days now and her sleep pattern's worse than ever....

She's been waking up in-between 3:30am and 6am, but for 5 of the 10 nights she's not gone to bed at all (ok, she's had 30 minutes or so then got up, got dressed and stayed up all night ...)

I'm waiting for 9am to come around so that I can try and have a chat with her GP because I can't cope with so little sleep .......

She's sat opposite me now singing her head off, just where does she get her energy from ??? :)

la,de,da,

Paul

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Paul, you must ask for sleeping tablets for your mum. There`s a limit to what can be expected from a carer and regular loss of sleep oversteps the mark. If you lose sleep on a regular basis, you won`t be fit enough to care for her, and what will happen then.
Sylvia

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Managed to get a telephone consultation with the GP for 10am on Thursday ...

Mum's got to daycare so I'm off to catch up on my sleep :D

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Paul,

I really hope you get some help with this. How responsive have you found the GP to be in the past? Some are much better at understanding this problem than others. A word of warning - they will sometimes prescribe Temazepam (aka Benzodiazepin) which while it may work on someone who wants to go to sleep, if it's used with someone who's "internal clock" is out of whack, can result in a patient who is now awake and moving around, but seriously sedated at the same time! Not a happy combination. So if it's offered, ask if there's an alternative.

Jennifer

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Hi Jennifer,

Our GP's pretty good but when I last mentioned my mum's sleeping problem he just asked me to monitor the situation .

I know that Ambien would be very risky for my mum to take ( She's also got liver, kidney and heart problems which don't go well with Ambien ) .. So I'll just have to wait and see what the GP suggests .

I managed to get 6 hours sleep while my mum was at daycare but I'm still shattered *lol*

Paul

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
As you say, a lot of these drugs are not a good idea with all the other health issues many of our loved ones have as well. I think liver problems are particularly problematic. I'm just especially wary about Temazepam - my Mother was prescribed it regularly by her GP for over 8 years (only supposed to be used for 2 or 3 weeks) in ever increasing doses - primarily, I suspect, because it is cheap. Good luck, anyway.

Jennifer

Grandaughter 1

Jan 17, 2006
Hampshire
My sympathies to you.

My Nan is having the same problem with my Grandad. He shouts at my Nan to come to bed at something ridiculous like 6pm then he is awake again at 10ish and then up and down all night!!

The doctor says there is nothing he can do and won't prescribe sleeping pills. My Nan is absolutely shattered.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Your poor Nan. I think this is one of those areas that are just totally overlooked by health care professionals - just how debilitating a lack of sleep can be for a carer. Hands up those of us whose loved ones HAVEN'T had sleep disturbances. I suspect that there there isn't a forest of waving arms. From a professional's point of view this seems so minor, yet sleep deprivation is a form of torture, and if it was anyone but the patient who was doing this to us, we would be claiming assault. I just wish these doctors who refuse to see that this is a massive problem would just come and spend the night! Sorry, I'll get down off my soap-box now.

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
mojofilterHow is your mother sleep paten, when she go to daycentre , I ask this because if its better on those days could you not talk to your social worker , so she can push for your mother to go to daycentre a few more days , so you can get more sleep ?

As AZ gets worse as time go on , social worker should help you more, another idea is could they not get a carer in to sit with your mother on the days she does not go to day centre , so you can get some sleep .

Have you spoken to your mother social worker about your lack of sleep? When was your carer assessment review?

mojofilter

May 10, 2006
St.Helens
Margarita said:
mojofilterHow is your mother sleep paten, when she go to daycentre , I ask this because if its better on those days could you not talk to your social worker , so she can push for your mother to go to daycentre a few more days , so you can get more sleep ?

Hi!! Her sleep pattern is better on the days that she's been to daycare but they've just increased her visits from 2 to 3 times a week and that's all that's available at this moment in time.

As AZ gets worse as time go on , social worker should help you more, another idea is could they not get a carer in to sit with your mother on the days she does not go to day centre , so you can get some sleep .

My mum hates having anyone in the house and we're struggling to keep the help that comes in 5 mornings of the week because my mum'
s refusing to let her wash her anymore ..

Have you spoken to your mother social worker about your lack of sleep? When was your carer assessment review?

I've not spoken to the SW since my mum came out of hospital ..... As for a carer assessment, I don't think I've ever had one ???

Loads of fun eh ;-)

Paul

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
mojofilter

Gosh can't belive that can happen , well it has , are you going to ring them to sort it out ?

I know your tried , but you got to think of yourself in the long team , and if you don’t help yourself no one well that for sure.

seek the SW out in helping you , that what they get payed for ,
who sorted out the last Respite for you ? was it not a SW

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN