Sleep disturbance

Jan1

Jan 11, 2004
Croydon
My father who has been diagnosed as having alzheimers is curently going through a day reversal mode. He wants to sleep during the day and is up all night wandering around the house. We have tried numerous things to try and `turn his clock around` but up until now have not succeeded. We have tried exercise, waking him up everytime he nods off trying to get him interested in something to keep him awake We dont really want to start sleeping pills as this may lead to incontinence during the night which my mother could not deal with. Anyone else having the same problem? if so would love to hear you comments

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Jan,

sleep disturbance is a problem for use as well. My father, since he has lost concept of time and day at night gives my mother a lot of disturbing nights. One definite thing to avoid is alcohol and anything caffiene based. Even the slightest amount of alcohol seems to have a detrimental effect on sleep. Other than that it's just important to keep calm and try to keep the daytime as busy as possible (easier said than done I know).

This link may help, and I hope someone else pipes up with some constructive advice - I'll be all ears too!

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthref...-5CC6-4668-A93B8A1BBAA0A77F.htm?category=5076

Hope that helps
Kind Regards
Charlie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Jan,

My mother had a week of doing this a fortnight ago. Fortunately she seems to have got over it now - I was dead on my feet.

Try giving a cup of warm milk before bedtime, as this seemed to help Mum. Also having a decent evening meal, rather than a main meal at lunchtime, ensured that she wasn't waking up hungry at night.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jude