Sleep Disorder

Michelle24

Aug 7, 2003
Cardiff
My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 18 months ago, although we were told she had probably had it for a few years.

Lately she's had problems waking up. She's in sheltered housing, so gets woken by a carer. The best way my gran can describe it is that she can hear someone calling her, but she's unable to open her eyes, move or reply. Her last incident of this was Monday morning, and she's in hospital at the moment because of it (and if i'm homest not coping vey well with the change of surroundings). The problem is nobody seems to be able to tell us if this is part of the progression of Alzheimer's or something else. Her physchiatrist seemed to think it could be some sort of mini stroke but the doctor seems to thing it's the Alzheimers.

Grateful for any advice.

Michelle

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi
Multi infarct dementia is one where the patient suffers mini strokes. These can be both noticible and unoticed.
My suggestion is to look up on the main web site for more info on this type of dementia, and if you feel it necessary, show the doctors involved what you learn of relevance.
Most symptoms of dementia are similiar, and to a less experienced doctor who hasnt used the likes of a CT scan, its all to common for them to pronounce a diagnosis of Alzheimer's as the only illness!
Good luck

Maria

Jun 11, 2003
Hi Michelle
Sorry to hear about your Gran and her sleeping, unfortunately my mum works in the opposite way she finds it hard to sleep and as she is totally dependent this is so tiring on my family. The doctors have prescribed relevent tablets however some nights they seem to have no effect as she is so wound up. It is amazing that this illness has so many different effects.
Speak soon and I hope that everything is going ok push for what you think is right because like so many illnesses on occasions the fundings are low for certain areas and some things can be overlooked. Maria x

Michelle24

Aug 7, 2003
Cardiff
Thanks for the replies, I looked up some stuff on infarct dementia, and it's given me something to think about. Some of the symptoms are conpletely my nan- she's experiencing a sudden decline, and has been treated for depression. The risk factors also struck a chord- until relatively recently my nan smoke and drank heavily and took very little exercise. One of the hardest things about coping with this illness is my nan's old lifestyle - I can't look back and remember all the good times before she got ill because her drinking meant that there weren't that many.

Sorry to end this post on a throughly depressing note! The replkies encouraged me a lot, and reading the board and knowing we're not the only family going trought this is a great help,

Thanks again,

Michelle

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Michelle
I should add that it is possible to have multi infarct AND alzheimer's.
You said about nan drinking alot.... there is also alcohol dementia and Korsikoff, again details on an info sheet. I know alot about this type of dementia, so if you have any further q's or want to shout extra loud about nans drinking, gimme a shout!

Michelle24

Aug 7, 2003
Cardiff
Angela,

Thanks for that, we considers Korsicoffs when nan first got ill, but the doctor thought it was unlikely to be that as Korsicoffs can stabalise if you stop drinking? (one of the only good things to come out of this is that when nan first started getting noticable symtoms of Alzheimers, she stopped drinking). In a more positive state of mind today anyway as I saw nan last night and she was the brightest i've seen her in a long time. Luckily nan has an excellent social worker, whose trying to find her a place in secure care home so hopefully her stay in hospital won't be for much longer.

Michelle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart